Question about windows 7 system image backup/restore

alexnt

I want to take a system image.

The system has two disks, one ssd and one hdd split into two partitions. The first partition includes program files and the second data.

Also, the system is configured to see the libraries of my user on the 2nd partition.

My question is:

If I take the image will it get the data from the second partition of hdd also(ie documents, music, etc. - something that I do not want), only the ssd and the first partition of the hdd with the program files or only the ssd?

If it takes image of the ssd and the first partition (that's what I want) will it get everything else the first partition includes, as the folder dropbox, some virtual machines, etc., or just program files?

About restoration:

Will windows restore everything on the right drive/partition or everything will be restored on ssd?

I want to take a system image.

The system has two disks, one ssd and one hdd split into two partitions. The first partition includes program files and the second data.

Also, the system is configured to see the libraries of my user on the 2nd partition.

My question is:

If I take the image will it get the data from the second partition of hdd also(ie documents, music, etc. - something that I do not want), only the ssd and the first partition of the hdd with the program files or only the ssd?

If it takes image of the ssd and the first partition (that's what I want) will it get everything else the first partition includes, as the folder dropbox, some virtual machines, etc., or just program files?

About restoration:

Will windows restore everything on the right drive/partition or everything will be restored on ssd?

Nope it won't pull the data from your 2nd drive/partition

but it will still keep the library paths or whatever. So if you restore the image and that partition/drive doesn't exist anymore, you'd just have to remap a couple things

Nope it won't pull the data from your 2nd drive/partition

but it will still keep the library paths or whatever. So if you restore the image and that partition/drive doesn't exist anymore, you'd just have to remap a couple things

OK. What about the program files and other folders located on the first partition of the hdd? Will they be restored on the same partition again or will they be restored on the ssd?

OK. What about the program files and other folders located on the first partition of the hdd? Will they be restored on the same partition again or will they be restored on the ssd?

assuming you create your image properly, everything will stay right where it is at the time of the imaging. One of the advantages of an image, is you can restore it wherever you want. So if you restore the image back to the same partition/drive it was creating from, in theory, nothing will change.

just do this..clone the drive is raw mode..then format the partiton of the extra stuff you don't want cloned

If you need remote help fixing something on your computer

I can help over Teamviewer if you wish

just msg me on my profile

assuming you create your image properly, everything will stay right where it is at the time of the imaging. One of the advantages of an image, is you can restore it wherever you want. So if you restore the image back to the same partition/drive it was creating from, in theory, nothing will change.

You mean that if I take a single image that includes C:(local disk-ssd), D:(local disk-hdd) and the system reserved partition it will restore EVERYTHING at it' s place and not all of them on the ssd.

I have this question because I intend to install windows 8.1. So I want to know if everything is going to be in the right place if I decide to go back to w7 again. (C: on ssd D: on first partition of hdd)

You mean that if I take a single image that includes C:(local disk-ssd), D:(local disk-hdd) and the system reserved partition it will restore EVERYTHING at it' s place and not all of them on the ssd.

Nah unless you're using some specialized software, that aggregates the images, you will need 3 images for 3 partitions

Nah unless you're using some specialized software, that aggregates the images, you will need 3 images for 3 partitions

Take a look. Seems that I am not able to choose. How would I take three different images??

post-188424-0-42222600-1428701757.png

Take a look. Seems that I am not able to choose. How would I take three different images??

(shrugs)

Each software is different, guess the built in windows 7 image creation is designed to create an image of the computer, rather than just a drive image

(shrugs)

Each software is different, guess the built in windows 7 image creation is designed to create an image of the computer, rather than just a drive image

Thats why I believe that it's possible to do the job the right way, because it is a computer image.