Gaming laptop

I am thinking about getting a gaming laptop but i don't know which one to get.  I am thinking about getting a computer from Falcon Northwest but would like some other recommendations please.  I don't want anything bigger then a 15 inch screen.  any suggestions would be great.

budget? games? use case? is portability important? the more we know the easier it is to help

I bought myself an Alienware 13 with the following specs for $1160+tax a few weeks ago and love it so far.

13 inch FHD (1920 x 1080) IPS-Panel Anti-Glare 350-nits Display
Intel® Core i7-5500U (Dual-Core, 4MB Cache, up to 3.0GHz w/ Turbo Boost)
NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 960M with 2GB GDDR5

512GB M.2 SSD

8GB Dual Channel DDR3L 1600MHz (4GBx2)

It's not the strongest laptop around, but it plays games at fairly high settings, comes in at less than an inch thick, and gets me ~6hrs of battery life from taking notes with MS word/wifi-on/browsing. This was the best I could find that ticked my boxes for portability, quality, power, and battery life when I was buying my laptop.

Good luck with the search!

budget? games? use case? is portability important? the more we know the easier it is to help

I would like to stay around 2k.  I will be playing games from steam if that makes a difference.  I will be taking and with me when i go on trips and to use when i am at home just watching tv i can a play games.  

I bought myself an Alienware 13 with the following specs for $1160+tax a few weeks ago and love it so far.

13 inch FHD (1920 x 1080) IPS-Panel Anti-Glare 350-nits Display

Intel® Core i7-5500U (Dual-Core, 4MB Cache, up to 3.0GHz w/ Turbo Boost)

NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 960M with 2GB GDDR5

512GB M.2 SSD

8GB Dual Channel DDR3L 1600MHz (4GBx2)

It's not the strongest laptop around, but it plays games at fairly high settings, comes in at less than an inch thick, and gets me ~6hrs of battery life from taking notes with MS word/wifi-on/browsing. This was the best I could find that ticked my boxes for portability, quality, power, and battery life when I was buying my laptop.

Good luck with the search!

I have seen the alienware and they are now owned by dell and i have not had very good luck with dell computers.  There customer server has never really helped me but i will keep that in mind.  

Op what's your budget? Seems like a decent budget is 1.5k

I might piggy back on this thread.

I'm looking to get a gaming laptop as well. Seems like using boutique websites to choose your specs abd the like

Op what's your budget? Seems like a decent budget is 1.5k

I might piggy back on this thread.

I'm looking to get a gaming laptop as well. Seems like using boutique websites to choose your specs abd the like

my budget is 2k but i know the falcon north west is over 3k depending on what you get.  I would love to have one of there computer but i don't know if i should just wait and get that or something else.  That is why i am looking for recommendations.  

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834152685

You also get the Witcher 3 with it.

I have the GS70 860m with a 128gb ssd. Good laptop, just kicking myself because the 900m series came out months after I got my laptop...

Core i5 4670k @4.0Ghz stock voltage w/ Corsair H100i | MSI GD65 Gaming Board | GIGABYTE R9 290 | 16GB G.Skill Memory @2133mhz | 256GB Crucial MX100 SSD | 1TB Seagate Barracuda 7200rpm HDD

3TB Seagate Barracuda 7200rpm HDD | 20GB FUJITSU 5400rpm Xbox 360 HDD | EVGA 750W Power Supply | Lian Li Alpha 330

I'm using an MSI GS60 Ghost Pro with an 870m. Sick laptop, despite being a generation behind on graphics performance -- I highly recommend it for mobility and overall quality.

• 2 weeks later...

question for everyone?  If i am going to try and record gameplay from a xbox one and play games on the computer should i get a laptop or a desktop?

I have seen the alienware and they are now owned by dell and i have not had very good luck with dell computers.  There customer server has never really helped me but i will keep that in mind.  

When's the last time you owned a dell laptop?

They've been rock solid for the last few years, and the alienware laptops are just as solid.

Also Dell customer service is basically the gold standard right now, nobodies better except Origin usually

Specs: 4790k | Asus Z-97 Pro Wifi | MX100 512GB SSD | NZXT H440 Plastidipped Black | Dark Rock 3 CPU Cooler | MSI 290x Lightning | EVGA 850 G2 | 3x Noctua Industrial NF-F12's

Bought a powermac G5, expect a mod log sometime in 2015

Corsair is overrated, and Anime is ruined by the people who watch it

When's the last time you owned a dell laptop?

They've been rock solid for the last few years, and the alienware laptops are just as solid.

Also Dell customer service is basically the gold standard right now, nobodies better except Origin usually

It was about three years ago and then my sister has one even longer ago back wehn she was in law school and she had a issue with it and sent it in for repairs and when they sent her computer back they lost her computer.  Also i was recnetly trying to restore a old xps 14 laptop that i had and i called dell and ask them to send me a restore thumb drive so i could restore the computer back to factory settings and they sent me the wrong thing so i filled a complaint with the BBB and told them what had happened and they finally sent me the right thing.  So i have not had a good track record with dell in my family.

I am thinking about getting a gaming laptop but i don't know which one to get.  I am thinking about getting a computer from Falcon Northwest but would like some other recommendations please.  I don't want anything bigger then a 15 inch screen.  any suggestions would be great.

Falcon Northwest is a money-grab. Some of their laptops are legitimately 2x the price of the same machine from Sager or Eurocom etc.

If you are going to buy one of their laptops, get it from a place like Mythlogic. Pre-sale QA will be good from them, though they're a bit more expensive than Sager.

As for the suggestions... it depends on what you want. If you want a real little powerhouse, then the P750ZM model is a good buy. If you want battery life, then a mobile CPU will need to be used. If you can take the bulk, a P150SM-A might be good, and if you want something a bit thinner, a P650SE should work.

If you're unsure what the models are on the website, if you click on them, you'll see the "chassis" and can compare from there, as they use their own names.

question for everyone?  If i am going to try and record gameplay from a xbox one and play games on the computer should i get a laptop or a desktop?

Capture card should be able to handle the recording I think. You'll need a USB-type instead of a PCI-type for a laptop, and the PCI-types are indeed better, but for pure recording they're not necessary.

I have finally moved to a desktop. Also my guides are outdated as hell.

THE INFORMATION GUIDES: SLI INFORMATION || vRAM INFORMATION || MOBILE i7 CPU INFORMATION || Maybe more someday

Falcon Northwest is a money-grab. Some of their laptops are legitimately 2x the price of the same machine from Sager or Eurocom etc.

If you are going to buy one of their laptops, get it from a place like Mythlogic. Pre-sale QA will be good from them, though they're a bit more expensive than Sager.

As for the suggestions... it depends on what you want. If you want a real little powerhouse, then the P750ZM model is a good buy. If you want battery life, then a mobile CPU will need to be used. If you can take the bulk, a P150SM-A might be good, and if you want something a bit thinner, a P650SE should work.

If you're unsure what the models are on the website, if you click on them, you'll see the "chassis" and can compare from there, as they use their own names.

Capture card should be able to handle the recording I think. You'll need a USB-type instead of a PCI-type for a laptop, and the PCI-types are indeed better, but for pure recording they're not necessary.

Do you have any recommendations for a desktop?