Asus Maximus VII Hero VS Asus Z97-PRO (Wi-Fi ac)

Go to solution Solved by Swndlr,

i have the Z97 Pro, great board, will do anything the maximus will.

Which motherboard should i buy that will be best for gaming. I really dont wanna OC that much. I have i7 4790k and msi gtx980.

Which motherboard should i buy that will be best for gaming. I really dont wanna OC that much. I have i7 4790k and msi gtx980.

if you dont care about overclock, just buy whatever is cheaper.

Not too many differences between the two. Decide what features you value and go with that

Excon and I have these boards, we both stand by our own boards. Get what looks better to you.

Not too many differences between the two. Decide what features you value and go with that

Overclocking won't be much different on either, if different at all. The Pro has more VRM phases, the Hero may have better VRM components. But either way, Haswell is the generation for OC where motherboard plays the least part.

Main Rig: CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) KLEVV CRAS XR RGB DDR4-3600 | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550I AORUS PRO AX | Storage: 512GB SKHynix PC401, 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 2x Micron 1100 256GB SATA SSDs | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra 10GB | Cooling: ThermalTake Floe 280mm w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 3 | Case: Sliger SM580 (Black) | PSU: Lian Li SP 850W

Server: CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3100 | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) Crucial DDR4 Pro | Motherboard: ASUS PRIME B550-PLUS AC-HES | Storage: 128GB Samsung PM961, 4TB Seagate IronWolf | GPU: AMD FirePro WX 3100 | Cooling: EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB | Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow (White) | PSU: Seasonic Focus GM-850

Miscellaneous: Dell Optiplex 7060 Micro (i5-8500T/16GB/512GB), Lenovo ThinkCentre M715q Tiny (R5 2400GE/16GB/256GB), Dell Optiplex 7040 SFF (i5-6400/8GB/128GB)

If i wanted to OC in future then what should i go for?

It literally doesn't matter. They have identical BIOSes and similar power setups, both will provide the same level of overclocking so long as the CPU is up for it.

Main Rig: CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) KLEVV CRAS XR RGB DDR4-3600 | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550I AORUS PRO AX | Storage: 512GB SKHynix PC401, 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 2x Micron 1100 256GB SATA SSDs | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra 10GB | Cooling: ThermalTake Floe 280mm w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 3 | Case: Sliger SM580 (Black) | PSU: Lian Li SP 850W

Server: CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3100 | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) Crucial DDR4 Pro | Motherboard: ASUS PRIME B550-PLUS AC-HES | Storage: 128GB Samsung PM961, 4TB Seagate IronWolf | GPU: AMD FirePro WX 3100 | Cooling: EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB | Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow (White) | PSU: Seasonic Focus GM-850

Miscellaneous: Dell Optiplex 7060 Micro (i5-8500T/16GB/512GB), Lenovo ThinkCentre M715q Tiny (R5 2400GE/16GB/256GB), Dell Optiplex 7040 SFF (i5-6400/8GB/128GB)

I have the Vii hero, it's awesome because it looks good, otherwise, they're basically the same. I also got an intel Wireles AC 7260 for desktop that i truly love

Are you new? Please read CoC  Before posting! PLEASE SELECT 'AUTOMATIC' FOR FONT COLOR FOR US DARK THEME USERS (Only for dark shades)If you can read this, it means you need to change to NIGHT THEME (bottom left above LMG logo) Please follow your threads and Quote people when replying to them. Mark your problem as solved if answered. Don't spam, nobody likes a spammer. DO NOT QUOTE IMAGES! BE NICE!

Either board is capable of overclocking well. It's kind of a moot point to buy a Z97 board JUST for overclocking. At this stage in the game, they're all virtually equal in that regard. Intel moved most of the components onto the chip, so there's not as much variance from mobo to mobo.

It literally doesn't matter. They have identical BIOSes and similar power setups, both will provide the same level of overclocking so long as the CPU is up for it.

Is it so that the maximus is better for gaming and the other one has a more general thing.

Both boards are just about the same sinve they have similar features and overclocking capability. But it depends on the features you want and the cheaper solution

Is it so that the maximus is better for gaming and the other one has a more general thing.

The Maximus was made as a solid board that appeals to the gamer crowd. The Pro was made as a solid board that appeals to PC builders who want something less gamer and more refined. Neither will give you better gaming performance or performance in general.

The Maximus was made as a solid board that appeals to the gamer crowd. The Pro was made as a solid board that appeals to PC builders who want something less gamer and more refined. Neither will give you better gaming performance or performance in general.

thanks.. 

throwing my hat into the OC ring, im using the ranger and its reaaally easy and stable to overclock on, it seems as long as you have certain things i.e. a mobo where the manufacturers have actually considered the possibility of overclocking then it doesnt matter 

Physics is like sex: sure, it may give some practical results, but that's not why we do it. ~ Feynman 

No need to repost. If you needed to add a poll, you should've edited the previous post. 

Are you new? Please read CoC  Before posting! PLEASE SELECT 'AUTOMATIC' FOR FONT COLOR FOR US DARK THEME USERS (Only for dark shades)If you can read this, it means you need to change to NIGHT THEME (bottom left above LMG logo) Please follow your threads and Quote people when replying to them. Mark your problem as solved if answered. Don't spam, nobody likes a spammer. DO NOT QUOTE IMAGES! BE NICE!

repost?

No need to repost. If you needed to add a poll, you should've edited the previous post. 

i am so sorry i didnt know that sorry

i have the Z97 Pro, great board, will do anything the maximus will.

4690K // 212 EVO // Z97-PRO // Vengeance 16GB // GTX 770 GTX 970 // MX100 128GB // Toshiba 1TB // Air 540 // HX650

Logitech G502 RGB // Corsair K65 RGB (MX Red)

should i keep it or is there any way to delete it

i am so sorry i didnt know that sorry

Ah it's okay. Just make sure you know this for the future :D

should i keep it or is there any way to delete it

ah keep it for now, if a mod wants to close it they might

I probably would've said Maximus VII Hero at this point (only because Newegg has $20 off on it)  ;)

maximus does not have sata express while pro has, will it be a bid deal in future?