Good DSLR for filming (Budget)

Hey guys!  My passion for film and as it is my major, I was wondering what good DSLR should I use?  I'm not experienced with camera's that well but i am trying to. What are good DSLR for a budget of $1,000- $1,500 USD. If i can get something that runs at 1080p at 60fps, that be nice to have. Also with good sound quality since I'm not sure if i should invest into a mic. If i should what mic recommendations would you have? Thanks!  :D

Are you sure you wouldn't like a mirrorless camera or maybe a cinema camera?

Are you new? Please read CoC  Before posting! PLEASE SELECT 'AUTOMATIC' FOR FONT COLOR FOR US DARK THEME USERS (Only for dark shades)If you can read this, it means you need to change to NIGHT THEME (bottom left above LMG logo) Please follow your threads and Quote people when replying to them. Mark your problem as solved if answered. Don't spam, nobody likes a spammer. DO NOT QUOTE IMAGES! BE NICE!

i have this one! it feels like a 1700usd camera :)

http://store.sony.com/cyber-shot-digital-camera-rx100-iii-zid27-DSCRX100M3/B/cat-ProductChannelAssignments-catid-SNYUSAssignments

Best camera i ever had :) Austin Evans is using this one to i think.

EOC folding stats - Folding stats - My web folding page stats

Summer Glau: Quote's The future is worth fighting for. Serenity

My linux setup: CPU: I7 2600K @4.5Ghz, MM: Corsair 16GB vengeance @1600Mhz, GPU: 2 Way Radeon his iceq x2 7970, MB: Asus sabertooth Z77, PSU: Corsair 750 plus Gold modular

My gaming setup: CPU: I7 3770K @4.7Ghz, MM: Corsair 32GB vengeance @1600Mhz, GPU: 2 Way Gigabyte RX580 8GB, MB: Asus sabertooth Z77, PSU: Corsair 860i Platinum modular

Are you sure you wouldn't like a mirrorless camera or maybe a cinema camera?

I would want to use the camera for Photography as well. What do you think of the Canon 6D? The budget is for the camera only haha.

I would want to use the camera for Photography as well. What do you think of the Canon 6D? The budget is for the camera only haha.

6d has slow video autofocus, altough you wont need it that often because manual focus is better I would got for the 70d or 7d2 if you can afford it

6D is fantastic. But i also think the Sony A7 series is fantastic for low light video and photos. 4K can be recorded but with dedicated recorders only. 

i have this one! it feels like a 1700usd camera :)

http://store.sony.com/cyber-shot-digital-camera-rx100-iii-zid27-DSCRX100M3/B/cat-ProductChannelAssignments-catid-SNYUSAssignments

Best camera i ever had :) Austin Evans is using this one to i think.

That's more of a vlogging/casual camera, i mean for like cinematography or serious filming that might not be appropriate just because of the limited flexibility 

Are you new? Please read CoC  Before posting! PLEASE SELECT 'AUTOMATIC' FOR FONT COLOR FOR US DARK THEME USERS (Only for dark shades)If you can read this, it means you need to change to NIGHT THEME (bottom left above LMG logo) Please follow your threads and Quote people when replying to them. Mark your problem as solved if answered. Don't spam, nobody likes a spammer. DO NOT QUOTE IMAGES! BE NICE!

6d has slow video autofocus, altough you wont need it that often because manual focus is better I would got for the 70d or 7d2 if you can afford it

How would the 70d or 7d2 compare to the 6d? What are the pricing too?

6D is fantastic. But i also think the Sony A7 series is fantastic for low light video and photos. 4K can be recorded but with dedicated recorders only. 

That's more of a vlogging/casual camera, i mean for like cinematography or serious filming that might not be appropriate just because of the limited flexibility 

if you were to choose between the 6d and Sony what would you choose, i know its more of a personal opinion but thats fine haha

if you were to choose between the 6d and Sony what would you choose, i know its more of a personal opinion but thats fine haha

The sony because it has better video. But 6D because i <3 canon and also because I take a lot of pictures to. 

For you i'd say sony

the 6d isn't that good for cine, A cheap  but good one is a Panasonic GH4 

How would the 70d or 7d2 compare to the 6d? What are the pricing too?

The 7 series is crop while the 6d is full frame but they have way better auto focus in video mode and are also pretty good for pics. I dont know pricing for your region, gotta find that out yourself

the cannon 70D looks like that it is your budget range and it looks like that you can get a few lenses for it as well

I have actually decided onto a Canon 70D but also trying to push or wait a bit longer to get a 7D mk2. I was wondering what lenses should i get. Is there a specific lens i should get for film, or should i get the stock lenses that comes with the camera.

The sony because it has better video. But 6D because i <3 canon and also because I take a lot of pictures to. 

For you i'd say sony

Same question haha

I have actually decided onto a Canon 70D but also trying to push or wait a bit longer to get a 7D mk2. I was wondering what lenses should i get. Is there a specific lens i should get for film, or should i get the stock lenses that comes with the camera.

Same question haha

There will be no single specific lens, but when it come to film making, large aperture prime lenses get the job done very well. a good first cinima lens may be something like this. as it is priced fairly low and give you very sharp images.

http://www.amazon.com/Rokinon-CV35-C-Aspherical--Clicked-Fixed-Non-Zoom/dp/B008X1C1DC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1428907952&sr=8-1&keywords=rokinon+35mm

Case: Phanteks Evolve X with ITX mount  cpu: Ryzen 3900X 4.35ghz all cores Motherboard: MSI X570 Unify gpu: EVGA 1070 SC  psu: Phanteks revolt x 1200W Memory: 64GB Kingston Hyper X oc'd to 3600mhz ssd: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB ITX System CPU: 4670k  Motherboard: some cheap asus h87 Ram: 16gb corsair vengeance 1600mhz

Same question haha

actually i would not buy 7dmkii because of the lack of touch screen since the articulating touch screen on the 70d is much nicer and with the extrA 500+ dollars buy a nice mic and audio recording setup and invest in glass

Please follow your topics guys, it's very important! CoC F.A.Q  Please use the corresponding PC part picker link for your country USA, UK, Canada, AustraliaSpain, Italy, New Zealand and Germany

also if you find anyone with this handle in games its most likely me so say hi

There will be no single specific lens, but when it come to film making, large aperture prime lenses get the job done very well. a good first cinima lens may be something like this. as it is priced fairly low and give you very sharp images.

http://www.amazon.com/Rokinon-CV35-C-Aspherical--Clicked-Fixed-Non-Zoom/dp/B008X1C1DC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1428907952&sr=8-1&keywords=rokinon+35mm

Ahh i see, thanks!

actually i would not buy 7dmkii because of the lack of touch screen since the articulating touch screen on the 70d is much nicer and with the extrA 500+ dollars buy a nice mic and audio recording setup and invest in glass

Yeah i actually decided to get the 70d, i heard its a better overall camera and is much better than the 7d mkii in video, the 7d mkii is actually better at fast photography (sports, anything moving fast) due to the higher fps it can capture at.

People here are talking about blowing the whole budget on a camera and lens, but if you ask anybody that knows film making they'll instantly tell you that audio gear is much much more important. YOU NEED EXTERNAl MICS. (A rode shotgun mic on a boom pole or a lav mic connected to a phone in the actors pocket goes a long way)

People can watch a crap video, people will instantly turn off crap audio.

You have to go with an external mic. The built in mics on pretty much all cameras suck. With your budget, I would look into the Blackmagic Design Pocket Cinema camera. It's a wonderful camera and shoots beautiful video. Even better than you would get out of a more expensive DSLR. Also, they use a C-Mount lens, which makes shopping for lenses cheap and easy and is easily adaptable to Canon and Nikon mounts. For a mic, I would go with a Tascam DR-100 or Zoom H4n (I prefer the Tascam one, but that's just me). Out of curiosity, what film school are you at?

Edit! Last summer, Blackmagic had the pocket cinema camera for only $500 for one week. I would maybe see if they do another sale like that? If you can get it for that cheap, you'll be able to get a really nice lens or two with the remaining money. Seriously, that camera is amazing.