Alrighty...that's not a good sign - building my moms PC.

MeesterJackson
Go to solution Solved by MeesterJackson,

IT'S OK GUYS. I DERPED. 

...Soooo let's just say I should have given a closer look at the RAM because one of the sticks wasn't fully pressed in all the way. :I .... ^^;

Ok so I'm putting my moms PC together.

I've got the CPU installed, fan/heatsink installed, CPU fan plugged into the motherboard, RAM is installed, 24 pin motherboard cable is plugged in, 8 pin CPU connector is in the motherboard, VGA (unfortunately) cable is plugged in, PSU is plugged into the wall, and the monitor is obviously also plugged in. 

I use the old screwdriver trick to boot up everything and the CPU fan spins, PSU fan spins, motherboard green light is on, etc....yet nothing is showing up on the monitor. I've got an Intel Pentium (the anniversary one) and it's an APU so I'd figured to just use that for her build. If I don't have the monitor connected to an actual GPU is the test boot not going to work? Am I not actually supposed to see anything on the monitor? 

I've got the CPU installed, fan/heatsink installed, CPU fan plugged into the motherboard, RAM is installed, 24 pin motherboard cable is plugged in, 8 pin CPU connector is in the motherboard, VGA (unfortunately) cable is plugged in, PSU is plugged into the wall, and the monitor is obviously also plugged in. 

I use the old screwdriver trick to boot up everything and the CPU fan spins, PSU fan spins, motherboard green light is on, etc....yet nothing is showing up on the monitor. I've got an Intel Pentium (the anniversary one) and it's an APU so I'd figured to just use that for her build. If I don't have the monitor connected to an actual GPU is the test boot not going to work? Am I not actually supposed to see anything on the monitor? 

you should see something since its got built in graphics.

askdjfasdf

GPU disables the integrated graphics....

|King Of The Lost|
Project Dark: i7 7820x 5.1GHz | X299 Dark | Trident Z 32GB 3200MHz | GTX 1080Ti Hybrid | Corsair 760t | 1TB Samsung 860 Pro | EVGA Supernova G2 850w | H110i GTX
Lava: i9 12900k 5.1GHz (Undervolted to 1.26v)| MSI z690 Pro DDR4| Dominator Platnium 32GB 3800MHz| Power Color Red Devil RX 6950 XT| Seasonic Focus Platnium 850w| NZXT Kraken Z53
Unholy Rampage: i7 5930k 4.7GHz 4.4 Ring| X99 
Rampage|Ripjaws IV 16GB 2800 CL13| GTX 1080 Strix(Custom XOC Signed BIOS) | Seasonic Focus Platinum 850w |H100i v2 
Revenge of 775: Pentium 641 | Biostar TPower i45| Crucial Tracer 1066 DDR2 | GTX 580 Classified Ultra | EVGA 650 BQ | Noctua NH D14

Do you hear any beeps?

Also make sure the input you have plugged your monitor is the one selected on your monitor on screen display.

Motherboard - Gigabyte P67A-UD5 Processor - Intel Core i7-2600K RAM - G.Skill Ripjaws @1600 8GB Graphics Cards  - MSI and EVGA GeForce GTX 580 SLI PSU - Cooler Master Silent Pro 1,000w SSD - OCZ Vertex 3 120GB x2 HDD - WD Caviar Black 1TB Case - Corsair Obsidian 600D Audio - Asus Xonar DG

Hail Sithis!

Dude, use a POST card

"My game vs my brains, who gets more fatal errors?" ~ Camper125Lv, GMC Jam #15

GPU disables the integrated graphics....

What GPU? There is no GPU installed. I have the VGA cable directly connected to the motherboard like I should. 

What GPU? There is no GPU installed. I have the VGA cable directly connected to the motherboard like I should. 

Hmmm then what is the motherboard that you used?

Edit: Sorry I skim'd through your op

|King Of The Lost|
Project Dark: i7 7820x 5.1GHz | X299 Dark | Trident Z 32GB 3200MHz | GTX 1080Ti Hybrid | Corsair 760t | 1TB Samsung 860 Pro | EVGA Supernova G2 850w | H110i GTX
Lava: i9 12900k 5.1GHz (Undervolted to 1.26v)| MSI z690 Pro DDR4| Dominator Platnium 32GB 3800MHz| Power Color Red Devil RX 6950 XT| Seasonic Focus Platnium 850w| NZXT Kraken Z53
Unholy Rampage: i7 5930k 4.7GHz 4.4 Ring| X99 
Rampage|Ripjaws IV 16GB 2800 CL13| GTX 1080 Strix(Custom XOC Signed BIOS) | Seasonic Focus Platinum 850w |H100i v2 
Revenge of 775: Pentium 641 | Biostar TPower i45| Crucial Tracer 1066 DDR2 | GTX 580 Classified Ultra | EVGA 650 BQ | Noctua NH D14

has this machine been used previously with a gpu? it could be that it is set to outpuut display to a gpu as apposed to the on board. Try a cmos/bios rest

is the monitor on?

has this machine been used previously with a gpu? it could be that it is set to outpuut display to a gpu as apposed to the on board. Try a cmos/bios rest

Nope all new parts besides the motherboard...then again it was originally connected to my computer and I was using a DVI adapter on it when I was using that monitor.

sorry I wasn't clear, I meant the motherboard. That is where the bios is stored so if the motherboard was used with a graphics card before, it may be looking for that as the video output. If you have a card that will fit it may be worth a try

You mean grab a random GPU and slap it in? 

You could do that and then access the bios and enable "Intregated Graphics" that'd be a good way to work it and then shut down the computer saving the settings and take out the GPU and try turning it back on.

You mean grab a random GPU and slap it in?

No, I mean get a PCI card that can give you the error code

No, I mean get a PCI card that can give you the error code

Wh...Why?

Spoiler

I7 4790K @4.5 Ghz 1.294V

VALIDATION, MSI Z97 Gaming 7, 24GB DDR3 1600, Asus Strix 1070 8GB OC@ 2.2Ghz, Corsair graphite series 760T (Black), Cooler master V850, NH-D15 w/LNA ,1TB Samsung 850 Evo,  480GB Sandisk Ultra II SSD, 3TB Seagate Barracuda x 3, 1 TB WD Passport (Backup drive), 2 TB WD Passport (Backup Drive 2),  Windows 10 Pro x64 (uhg), Logitech G900 Chaos (Main), Steelseries Rival (FADE) (Courtesy of Edzel Yago, Thanks Ed), Steelsieres Rival 300 Hyperbeast Special Edition, Coolermaster Quickfire TKL (MX Blue), Razer Blackwidow Tournament edition (Greens).  Audio: Sennheiser HD598 SE, Edifier S1000DB, AudioEngine D1 DAC; Yamaha MG06X Mixer & AudioTechnica AT2020.

Phones; Daily drivers: Nexus 6P 64GB/iPhone 6 (Music), Apple Watch, Apple AirPods.

Laptop: 2015 Macbook Pro 13, 8GB of RAM, 2.7Ghz i5, 240GB Apple SSD. 

Spoiler

Plex Server: i7 3770, Gigabyte Board, 16GB DDR3 1600, Asus Strix GTX 1050ti 4GB, 120GB SSD Boot Drive, 8 x 3TB Seagate Barracuda, Rosewill RSV-R4000 With 2 Rosewill Hot Swap 4x Backplane Bays, 1050 Watt Corsair HX Series PSU,Hyper T2, Windows 10 Pro 

I also do Youtube, check me out!

Wh...Why?

So he can know why it isn't POSTing or if it is POSTing and it's just a faulty graphics card.

So he can know why it isn't POSTing or if it is POSTing and it's just a faulty graphics card.

Or you could.... Use the speaker.... Duh.

Spoiler

I7 4790K @4.5 Ghz 1.294V

VALIDATION, MSI Z97 Gaming 7, 24GB DDR3 1600, Asus Strix 1070 8GB OC@ 2.2Ghz, Corsair graphite series 760T (Black), Cooler master V850, NH-D15 w/LNA ,1TB Samsung 850 Evo,  480GB Sandisk Ultra II SSD, 3TB Seagate Barracuda x 3, 1 TB WD Passport (Backup drive), 2 TB WD Passport (Backup Drive 2),  Windows 10 Pro x64 (uhg), Logitech G900 Chaos (Main), Steelseries Rival (FADE) (Courtesy of Edzel Yago, Thanks Ed), Steelsieres Rival 300 Hyperbeast Special Edition, Coolermaster Quickfire TKL (MX Blue), Razer Blackwidow Tournament edition (Greens).  Audio: Sennheiser HD598 SE, Edifier S1000DB, AudioEngine D1 DAC; Yamaha MG06X Mixer & AudioTechnica AT2020.

Phones; Daily drivers: Nexus 6P 64GB/iPhone 6 (Music), Apple Watch, Apple AirPods.

Spoiler

Plex Server: i7 3770, Gigabyte Board, 16GB DDR3 1600, Asus Strix GTX 1050ti 4GB, 120GB SSD Boot Drive, 8 x 3TB Seagate Barracuda, Rosewill RSV-R4000 With 2 Rosewill Hot Swap 4x Backplane Bays, 1050 Watt Corsair HX Series PSU,Hyper T2, Windows 10 Pro 

Or you could.... Use the speaker.... Duh.

1) It's a buzzer, not a speaker

2) Not all motherboards have a 'speaker'

1) It's a buzzer, not a speaker

2) Not all motherboards have a 'speaker'

Almost all motherboards have the "Buzzer". If it doesn't come with a "Buzzer", it at the very least has the pins for you to connect a "Buzzer".

Spoiler

I7 4790K @4.5 Ghz 1.294V

Spoiler

Almost all motherboards have the "Buzzer". If it doesn't come with a "Buzzer", it at the very least has the pins for you to connect a "Buzzer".

No, they don't, I assumed that since he didn't hear any 'beep codes' that he did not have a buzzer, and even if it did have the pins for you to connect the buzzer, a POST card is just way easier to use than a buzzer.