Possible GPU config for 1440p surround

Kodiak_Jack

I'm in two minds about what to do. I'm currently using a 780 to drive two 1440p monitors and I'm looking to upgrade to a Surround setup for 7680*1440. I considered 4k but I've yet to be convinced by it. 

I'm just not sure what GPUs will be required. I figure I'll need two, but I can't see the 4GB of the SLI 980's will be enough.

I'm open to the idea of getting a couple of titan x cards, although I wouldn't be buying them both at once. Probably buying one, get the new monitor and then finally add the second titan.

I feel like I should be waiting for the 980ti if such a card exists, but equally I don't want to wait around for ever. Put it this way - I don't thinking I would be a bad choice by any means to go down the Titan route; but I've never had a reference card before and I'm a bit concerned about the noise.Is it really that bad?

Any advice?

This is my first post - sorry if it's in the wrong place. 

I would try and wait for R9 3XX because the TiX price could drop a bit or you may get a better performance output with the RX 3XX cards. Try asking Display forum as well they can give you some tips on monitor selection and brands.

Regular human bartender...Jackie Daytona.

dual 980s 970s or single titan are your choices.  or dual r9 290x/290s

CPU: I7 8700k @ 5ghz | Motherboard: Asus Z370-Prime | RAM: White Crucial balistix DDR4 2133mhz | GPU: GTX 1080TI | Storage: ssd HyperX 240gig, 2x2tb seagate Firecuda 1tb, BPX 480 gig nvme, 1tb sandisk ssd  | Cooling: Custom loop | PSU: Evga supernova 850w G2 | Case: Phanteks enthoo evolv atx black White modded | system theme: White/RGB/Weiss

I would try and wait for R9 3XX because the TiX price could drop a bit or you may get a better performance output with the RX 3XX cards. Try asking Display forum as well they can give you some tips on monitor selection and brands.

Yeah that seems sensible - I just wish AMD would hurry up! 

I see you're Scottish - me too  :D

dual 980s 970s or single titan are your choices.  or dual r9 290x/290s

Thanks - it just seems like the Titan is my only choice. Just can't see 4GB being up to scratch for that resolution, since it barely is at 4k. 

CF 290x 8GB or Titan Xs. Go big or go home...

i5 2400 | ASUS RTX 4090 TUF OC | Seasonic 1200W Prime Gold | WD Green 120gb | WD Blue 1tb | some ram | a random case

Yeah that seems sensible - I just wish AMD would hurry up! 

I see you're Scottish - me too  :D

Good to see another scot! :P Yeah AMD are general slow but I hope they are kicking there arse's into gear and get that HBM Titan X killer on the way :P

Regular human bartender...Jackie Daytona.

I'm in two minds about what to do. I'm currently using a 780 to drive two 1440p monitors and I'm looking to upgrade to a Surround setup for 7680*1440. I considered 4k but I've yet to be convinced by it.

I'm just not sure what GPUs will be required. I figure I'll need two, but I can't see the 4GB of the SLI 980's will be enough.

I'm open to the idea of getting a couple of titan x cards, although I wouldn't be buying them both at once. Probably buying one, get the new monitor and then finally add the second titan.

I feel like I should be waiting for the 980ti if such a card exists, but equally I don't want to wait around for ever. Put it this way - I don't thinking I would be a bad choice by any means to go down the Titan route; but I've never had a reference card before and I'm a bit concerned about the noise.Is it really that bad?

Any advice?

This is my first post - sorry if it's in the wrong place.

I have a 1440 surround build completing tomorrow with titan x sli and 3 1440 monitors, I will be posting the benchmark results here http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/344688-rampaging-titan-build/