MSI GTX 660ti OC PE (Twin Frozr) weird fan issue, Please help :)

Hello all  :) ,

Thanks for having a look at this issue , 

Ok, so I have 2 MSI  GTX 660ti OC PE cards in SLI , 

Both cards have been treated exceptionally well , dusted regularly and only very minimally overclocked. 

The problem I am having is that on one of my cards , both fans will start at boot up , completely normally for about 3 seconds , no grinding/whining sounds , nothing , but then all of a sudden the one fan will power down , and will twitch every now and then as if it were trying to power itself on , I have even had it where both fans will turn off .

I got MSI Afterburner to mess with the fan speeds and see if I could get it to spin , and as unless I set it to 80 percent or higher it will not spin up at all , It seems like some kind of power saving feature ,

Like its idle fan speed has somehow been set to 0 ,

because at the higher temps as long as my fan curve is set right , it will turn on and cool the card normally, the fans are pretty loud at 80% though especially since it goes from 0 - 80 the noise difference is really bad . but as I said before the fans are in great condition , and spin very freely when spun manually . 

I have tried flashing its bios using a backup of the bios on my other card , I have tried using it with different power and PCI slots , 

I am a DIY kind of guy , and warranty is long gone , so I am open to the idea of opening the card up completely , but I have no idea what I would be looking for . 

any ideas on what might be causing this ?

Any one else having this issue ? 

I really appreciate anyone who takes the time to read the essay above :)

Thank you 

Dylan  :D

Hello all  :) ,

Thanks for having a look at this issue , 

Ok, so I have 2 MSI  GTX 660ti OC PE cards in SLI , 

Both cards have been treated exceptionally well , dusted regularly and only very minimally overclocked. 

The problem I am having is that on one of my cards , both fans will start at boot up , completely normally for about 3 seconds , no grinding/whining sounds , nothing , but then all of a sudden the one fan will power down , and will twitch every now and then as if it were trying to power itself on , I have even had it where both fans will turn off .

I got MSI Afterburner to mess with the fan speeds and see if I could get it to spin , and as unless I set it to 80 percent or higher it will not spin up at all , It seems like some kind of power saving feature ,

Like its idle fan speed has somehow been set to 0 ,

because at the higher temps as long as my fan curve is set right , it will turn on and cool the card normally, the fans are pretty loud at 80% though especially since it goes from 0 - 80 the noise difference is really bad . but as I said before the fans are in great condition , and spin very freely when spun manually . 

I have tried flashing its bios using a backup of the bios on my other card , I have tried using it with different power and PCI slots , 

I am a DIY kind of guy , and warranty is long gone , so I am open to the idea of opening the card up completely , but I have no idea what I would be looking for . 

any ideas on what might be causing this ?

Any one else having this issue ? 

I really appreciate anyone who takes the time to read the essay above :)

Thank you 

Dylan  :D

Screw them off and replace them with 80 mm noctuas ;)

Screw them off and replace them with 80 mm noctuas ;)

Haha , that doesnt seem that easy :rolleyes:  I still want it to look good  :P

Haha , that doesnt seem that easy :rolleyes:  I still want it to look good  :P

Ow well that is quite difficult i don't really bother with the looks so rubber bands GO ghettorigging but yeah than i can't help you sorry :(  i am not such a diy person that i can help you but i am sure you will find an solution around here! :)

Ow well that is quite difficult i don't really bother with the looks so rubber bands GO ghettorigging but yeah than i can't help you sorry :(  i am not such a diy person that i can help you but i am sure you will find an solution around here! :)

Thanks alot for the suggestion , I am sure it would work, and oneday Id love to build the most bad ass ghettorig out there :P