Shut Down vs. Hibernation

Perixx

Alright, so first off, I know how Hibernation works and the differences between sleep mode, hibernation, and shut down.  I use a laptop for my daily driver (I know, some people will be angry, but I digress). At the end of the day, or frankly, at anytime I leave my computer, I shut it down. My question is, instead of shutting down, could I just put my laptop in hibernation every night and be okay? I would do a weekly or frequent shutdown or restart, but would it ruin the life of my computer or cause any hazards if I was to hibernate my laptop every night instead of shutting down. 

I don't know difference between the 2 modes but I would shut it down as the LEDs close so I know battery is not affected.

Alright, so first off, I know how Hibernation works and the differences between sleep mode, hibernation, and shut down.  I use a laptop for my daily driver (I know, some people will be angry, but I digress). At the end of the day, or frankly, at anytime I leave my computer, I shut it down. My question is, instead of shutting down, could I just put my laptop in hibernation every night and be okay? I would do a weekly or frequent shutdown or restart, but would it ruin the life of my computer or cause any hazards if I was to hibernate my laptop every night instead of shutting down. 

No. Since hibernation just copies all of your RAM to your hard drive and boots you back to where you were, it only consumes power when shutting down, so you could do that without any problems.

“When life gives you lemons, don’t make lemonade. Make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don’t want your damn lemons, what the hell am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life’s manager! Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons! Do you know who I am? I’m the man who’s gonna burn your house down! With the lemons! I’m gonna get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!”

- Cave Johnson, founder and CEO of Aperture Science, in Portal 2

It will be fine.

LTT's unofficial Windows activation expert.

I don't know difference between the 2 modes but I would shut it down as the LEDs close so I know battery is not affected.

Well, Hibernation is different than sleep: hibernation copies everything from your RAM and transfers it to a file on your HDD (or SSD) and the shuts off all power to the computer. Evidently, it is shutting down the computer, but it just relaunches every thing you had open before shut down.

I always shut down my computer since it boots in under 10 secs. If your PC takes too long I would just sleep/hibernate it.

My computer, too, does start in around 15 seconds and that's with a Hard Drive, not an SSD, which is pretty good, in my opinion. I'm more asking because it would be a little more convenient to start my computer where I left off with different things open and such. Not exactly a start up issue, but a convenient issue.

Well, Hibernation is different than sleep: hibernation copies everything from your RAM and transfers it to a file on your HDD (or SSD) and the shuts off all power to the computer. Evidently, it is shutting down the computer, but it just relaunches every thing you had open before shut down.

Oh well then go for hibernation.