Do people actually buy these?

AlexWJD

Everyone always uses the argument that the R9 290 is only $260 and use this http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814161459&cm_re=his_r9_290-_-14-161-459-_-Productguy as example, but do people really but that? It looks ugly af, and has bad reviews. I would be nice if someone who actually owns one of these could shed some light. 

Edit: I just want to stop the meta where people say "the 290 only costs $250" when noone actually buys this. The good cards start at $280 or so with Sapphire (I'm iffy with powercolor, I've had two DOA cards from them, but some people say they're great :/)

CPU: G3258 @ 4GHz GPU: Gigabyte GTX 960 OC RAM: 8GB G.Skill DDR3 1600 SSD: Corsair LS 120GB Case: Antec GX500 Mouse: Logitech G402 Keyboard: Razer Blackwidow Headphones: Shure SRH440 Microphone: That Zalman Zm-Mic1 that everyone recommends but noone uses

Remember when the R9 280 was the HD 7950? Pepperidge Farm remembers.  

Running two AMD Cards: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rCwn1NTK-50

This is for the guys who want the performance over looks

Spoiler

CPU: i7-5820k @ 4.4GHz Motherboard: Asus X99 Strix  Graphics Card: Gigabyte 980Ti G1 Gaming Memory: Kingston HyperX Fury 24GB (3x 8GB) Hard Drive: 1TB WD Green SSD: Samsung 950 Pro 250GB CPU Cooling: Corsair H100i Power Supply: EVGA G2 850W Case: Corsair 400c Mouse: Logitech G502 Keyboard: Asus Strix (mx reds)  Monitor: BenQ XL2730Z 1440p@144hz OS: Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit Laptops: Lenovo Y50-70: i7-4720HQ - 16GB RAM - 256GB SSD - GTX 960m 4GB - MacBook Pro (Early 2016) 2,0GHz i5 - 8GB Ram - 256GB SSD Phone: iPhone 7+

I'd buy R9 290 but not from HIS.

Where I hang out: The Garage - Car Enthusiast Club

My cars: 2006 Mazda RX-8 (MT) | 2014 Mazda 6 (AT) | 2009 Honda Jazz (AT)

PC Specs

Indonesia

CPU: i5-4690 | Motherboard: MSI B85-G43 | Memory: Corsair Vengeance 2x4GB | Power Supply: Corsair CX500 | Video Card: MSI GTX 970

Storage: Kingston V300 120GB & WD Blue 1TB | Network Card: ASUS PCE-AC56 | Peripherals: Microsoft Wired 600 & Logitech G29 + Shifter

Australia 

CPU: Ryzen 3 2200G | Motherboard: MSI - B450 Tomahawk | Memory: Mushkin - 8GB (1 x 8GB) | Storage: Mushkin 250GB & Western Digital - Caviar Blue 1TB
Video Card: GIGABYTE - RX 580 8GB | Case: Corsair - 100R ATX Mid Tower | Power Supply: Avolv 550W 80+ Gold

First of all it doesn't look ugly.  Second at that price if I didn't give a **** about PhysX I'd take a shot at that card.

Too many ****ing games!  Back log 4 life! :S

This is for the guys who want the performance over looks

First of all it doesn't look ugly.  Second at that price if I didn't give a **** about PhysX I'd take a shot at that card.

Only reason I ask is because more than half of it's reviews are "doa and doesnt work"

A Sapphire starts at $280

CPU: G3258 @ 4GHz GPU: Gigabyte GTX 960 OC RAM: 8GB G.Skill DDR3 1600 SSD: Corsair LS 120GB Case: Antec GX500 Mouse: Logitech G402 Keyboard: Razer Blackwidow Headphones: Shure SRH440 Microphone: That Zalman Zm-Mic1 that everyone recommends but noone uses

Just change the heatsink lol

"My game vs my brains, who gets more fatal errors?" ~ Camper125Lv, GMC Jam #15

One question though, should people on a budget be concerned with cosmetics? 

The thing is that noone actually ever recommends it in a budget, they always go for a sapphire. This is only ever brung up in arguments of the lowest costing 290, even though noone uses this. 

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |

Only reason I ask is because more than half of it's reviews are "doa and doesnt work"

Because HIS is sketchy

Im so patriotic, I piss red white and blue. My doctor told me it was pancreatic cancer, I told him to SHUT HIS COMMIE MOUTH.

-A shotgun wielding redneck

Because HIS is sketchy

Exactly. So can we stop saying "The R9 290 only costs $250" when noone actually will buy the HIS card. 

"All of the after market designs that I have seen exhaust most of their warm air inside the case rather than straight out the back like the AMD stock design. Sure you get a cooler core but you will also get a warmer interior case temperature to deal with too."

http://benchmarkreviews.com/16821/radeon-r9-290-iceq-x2-video-card-review/13/

Make sure you set up the airflow properly in your case and have enough case fans to keep it cooler in there and get the hot air out.  The card in some instances probably failed for people because they didn't have well ventilated cases.

Too many ****ing games!  Back log 4 life! :S

Well if people didn't buy them, they would be discontinued or the company goes bankrupt.

Fractal Design Define R4 | MSI x79a-GD45 | 3960X @ 4.6Ghz | Lots of EK Blocks | EVGA GTX780Ti 3GB | Corsair Dominator Platinum 16GB (4x4) DDR3 1866 | Samsung 840 Pro 512GB SSD | Western Digital Red 2TB x4 (Raid 10) | Corsair AX760 | Windows 7 Professional 64-bit

Exactly. So can we stop saying "The R9 290 only costs $250" when noone actually will buy the HIS card.

I've never said the r9 290 was 250. A decent one goes for around 270 which isn't bad

"All of the after market designs that I have seen exhaust most of their warm air inside the case rather than straight out the back like the AMD stock design. Sure you get a cooler core but you will also get a warmer interior case temperature to deal with too."

http://benchmarkreviews.com/16821/radeon-r9-290-iceq-x2-video-card-review/13/

Make sure you set up the airflow properly in your case and have enough case fans to keep it cooler in there and get the hot air out.  The card in some instances probably failed for people because they didn't have well ventilated cases.

That is irrelevant to this thread. He is asking about excessive DOAs with this product.

Im so patriotic, I piss red white and blue. My doctor told me it was pancreatic cancer, I told him to SHUT HIS COMMIE MOUTH.

-A shotgun wielding redneck

I've never said the r9 290 was 250. A decent one goes for around 270 which isn't bad

That is irrelevant to this thread. He is asking about excessive DOAs with this product.

I didn't mean you, but if you look long enough in these 290 threads people keep using that card as the pricepoint, when noone buys them. 

the only reasons i wouldn't buy a 290 is because they run hot and cant stand amd drivers for some reason 

l Intel Core i7 4790K @ 4.5Ghz l Asus VII Ranger ROG l MSI GTX 970 @ 1555MHz l 

PC PART PICKER

the only reasons i wouldn't buy a 290 is because they run hot and cant stand amd drivers for some reason 

The heat is overly exaggerated, any case with proper airflow with a 290 will have little difference to the Nvidia counterpart. I've had driver issues too, but people say that has been fixed. 

People for whom it works will usually omit reviewing their expericence with the product. Plus, I just looked at the review page on the newegg site and it looks super fine. Most negative comments are that the card is huge and that it has a very high power consumption. To me, those are things can be outlooked

Cpu:i5-4690k Gpu:r9 280x with some other things

The thing is that noone actually ever recommends it in a budget, they always go for a sapphire. This is only ever brung up in arguments of the lowest costing 290, even though noone uses this. 

Well if people bring this up in arguments of the lowest costing 290, I don't see what's wrong....??? Since they are talking about lowest costing 290s anyway...

i5 2400 | ASUS RTX 4090 TUF OC | Seasonic 1200W Prime Gold | WD Green 120gb | WD Blue 1tb | some ram | a random case

Well if people bring this up in arguments of the lowest costing 290, I don't see what's wrong....??? Since they are talking about lowest costing 290s anyway...

My point is that noone actually buys them. If you looks through /r/buildapc and other forums, the budget builds with a 290 are with Sapphire or PowerColor, noone ever uses the HIS. But then when people are talking out of that context, they use the HIS as a pricepoint. Sure its the lowest, but doesn't mean anyone should use it? Gas station food is cheaper than food from Whole Foods, but that doesn't mean everyone should eat Gas station food, now does it? 

The heat is overly exaggerated, any case with proper airflow with a 290 will have little difference to the Nvidia counterpart. I've had driver issues too, but people say that has been fixed. 

67935.png

l Intel Core i7 4790K @ 4.5Ghz l Asus VII Ranger ROG l MSI GTX 970 @ 1555MHz l 

PC PART PICKER

My point is that noone actually buys them. If you looks through /r/buildapc and other forums, the budget builds with a 290 are with Sapphire or PowerColor, noone ever uses the HIS. But then when people are talking out of that context, they use the HIS as a pricepoint. Sure its the lowest, but doesn't mean anyone should use it? Gas station food is cheaper than food from Whole Foods, but that doesn't mean everyone should eat Gas station food, now does it? 

I may be getting something wrong here, were those "Lowest 290 prices" and "Recommend a 290" related from where you may have seen it? 

i5 2400 | ASUS RTX 4090 TUF OC | Seasonic 1200W Prime Gold | WD Green 120gb | WD Blue 1tb | some ram | a random case

I may be getting something wrong here, were those "Lowest 290 prices" and "Recommend a 290" related from where you may have seen it? 

I'll rephrase. Don't use the HIS as the lowest 290 price, because no one actually uses those in their builds. Use the PowerColor because people actually use that card. 

I'll rephrase. Don't use the HIS as the lowest 290 price, because no one actually uses those in their builds. Use the PowerColor because people actually use that card. 

OH got ya point now... But I haven't seen people do that... yet... Any links to the posts?