SSD on sata 2?

NJHourigan

Is it worth getting an ssd on sata 2?

The read write speed will cut in half

It will still be fast but not as fast on sata3

around maybe 240 read/write

Im so patriotic, I piss red white and blue. My doctor told me it was pancreatic cancer, I told him to SHUT HIS COMMIE MOUTH.

-A shotgun wielding redneck

Hell no, it will be severely bottlenecked, get a PCIe SATA Gen 3 (6Gbit) adapter, then get your SSD and plug it into their and get full speed, you can also plug more stuff in and get SATA Gen 3 speeds because most come with 2 ports.  :D

It will be fine but you won't be able to take advantage of the SSD's performance capability. Is it worth it well no in my opinion.

DESKTOP - Motherboard - Gigabyte GA-Z77X-D3H Processor - Intel Core i5-2500K @ Stock 1.135v Cooling - Cooler Master Hyper TX3 RAM - Kingston Hyper-X Fury White 4x4GB DDR3-1866 Graphics Card - MSI GeForce GTX 780 Lightning PSU - Seasonic M12II EVO Edition 850w  HDD -  WD Caviar  Blue 500GB (Boot Drive)  /  WD Scorpio Black 750GB (Games Storage) / WD Green 2TB (Main Storage) Case - Cooler Master 335U Elite OS - Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate

It would work, but most definitely not worth it

You have much less bandwidth to work with

Yes, it's worth it. Losing half of sequential performance is only a minor downside, you're still getting latencies that are orders of magnitude lower than on a mechanical hard drive. That's what makes a very noticeable difference between an SSD and a HDD.

Edit: Here is a review that proves SSDs are very much worth it on SATA2 (=SATA 3Gb/s). In fact the real-world difference between SATA2 and SATA3 is minor.

noooo this would be a terrible waste of money. you  would only get half as much speed. i wouldnt do this

Yes, it's worth it. Losing half of sequential performance is only a minor downside, you're still getting latencies that are orders of magnitude lower than on a mechanical hard drive. That's what makes a very noticeable difference between an SSD and a HDD.

Edit: Here is a review that proves SSDs are very much worth it on SATA2 (=SATA 3Gb/s). In fact the real-world difference between SATA2 and SATA3 is minor.

^^This. Ignore the others.

Sheer speed isn't why you buy an SSD. It isn't why it's orders of magnitude faster than a HDD because those too can come close to the limit of SATA II. It's the random reads that make them worth it and the reduced latency has nothing to do with the generation of SATA you're running. You could buy an add-in card if you wanted to, but you'll see a significant speed increase even if you don't, and you can always buy one later if you're somehow not satisfied.

I cannot be held responsible for any bad advice given.

I've no idea why the world is afraid of 3D-printed guns when clearly 3D-printed crossbows would be more practical for now.

My rig: The StealthRay. Plans for a newer, better version of its mufflers are already being made.