Poor College Programming Student

I am in school for Software Development and hopefully by the end of it moving up to a bachelors in Computer Science, So I will be starting with Java coding and eventually move up through the coding ladder myself or in school. 

But to the point of this post, I am broke as hell and my build that I want is $1.2k and I just don't have the time to save up for that, So I may go with some AMD stuff to cut costs and maybe even a Radeon GPU as well, or at the very least something like a 750ti, but I need to know if the $90 AMD FX-6300 at 3.5GHz with 6 cores is going to be able to handle the work load of what I'm going to throw at it. 
Shooting for $500-700 for my cheap build so I can deal with the work load till I can save up, Throw some build ideas my way if you want I'm totally open to suggestions. 

Ever seen scrapyardwars ?

~New~  BoomBerryPi project !  ~New~

new build log : http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/533392-build-log-the-scrap-simulator-x/?p=7078757 (5 screen flight sim for 620$ CAD)LTT Web Challenge is back ! go here  :  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/448184-ltt-web-challenge-3-v21/#entry601004

Is the work you are doing more focused on the CPU or GPU?

What games do you plan on playing? MMO's don't run very well on AMD's chips, but for other games at medium/high (most of the time) it'll run fine.

Do you need a monitor, os or peripherals?

if not:

CPU: Intel Core i5-4440 3.1GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($173.95 @ SuperBiiz) 
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-B85M-DS3H Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($60.98 @ Newegg) 
Storage: Sandisk Ultra Plus 128GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($49.97 @ NCIX US) 
Video Card: PowerColor Radeon R9 290 4GB PCS+ Video Card  ($279.99 @ Amazon) 
Power Supply: EVGA 500W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply  ($39.99 @ NCIX US) 
Total: $729.84
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-04-05 13:22 EDT-0400

You can buy the ssd or hdd later if 30$ are a problem.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Ever seen scrapyardwars ?

Yeah, but the area I live in is terrible for used stuff, Craigslist is dry for anything worth while, and I'm not shopping on Ebay or something for something that is going to be so important to me, plus TBH I really want to make my own build. 

Is the work you are doing more focused on the CPU or GPU?

A little bit of both, I just don't want my CPU to kill me because It can't do the work that I want it too, but Pretty entry level stuff for now 

$700 is still enough money to have a very good build. What are you going to be using the system for? Just programming?

Of course not just programming, I'll be gaming, but just things like Minecraft, Csgo, Skyrim, Gmod nothing that's too intensive like Shadow of moredoors or anything. Probably most intensive game I'll be hoping to play is GTAV but that'll probably have to wait till I get a better GPU than a 750Ti or anything cheap Radeon. 

I'm really new to both programming and computer hardware, so I'm kind of bias to Intel and Nvidia because i'm just ignorant of how the other team lives. 

if not:

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-B85M-DS3H Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($60.98 @ Newegg) 
Power Supply: EVGA 500W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply  ($39.99 @ NCIX US) 

I'll probably ditch the HDD for now because I can just stick my Laptop HDD in it for the 500GB storage for other things. 

Can I cut out the 290 for something cheaper just to keep cutting costs or would you not recommend that.  

upgrades are always an option later, I just need a working basic bitch build till I can save more money for the high end shit. 

Oh And I don't need a monitor or etc. 

if not:

or you could go with: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/HPdksY, almost same specs but more power per cost CPU, or go for the FX-8320 8 core for same price as i5-4440 but more powerful.

Edit: I changed the Graphic card to a R7 250 (equal to GTX 750) since I missed the last post.

Your university doesn't supply you with credentials to SSH into a machine on their network to write/run/test your code? 
I could have the oldest computer, but as long as my internet is fine and I can run putty.exe, I could finish, test, and write all my code. 

Your university doesn't supply you with credentials to SSH into a machine on their network to write/run/test your code? 

I could have the oldest computer, but as long as my internet is fine and I can run putty.exe, I could finish, test, and write all my code. 

As far as I know no, Because they made a big deal about me making sure I had a computer that could handle it. 

I did a large portion of my University level programming on an AMD A4-4300M CPU. You really don't need anything that powerful when learning programming so build for what you want to play games wise rather than for programming.

Can I cut out the 290 for something cheaper just to keep cutting costs or would you not recommend that.  

upgrades are always an option later, I just need a working basic bitch build till I can save more money for the high end shit. 

Oh And I don't need a monitor or etc. 

or you could go with: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/HPdksY, almost same specs but more power per cost CPU, or go for the FX-8320 8 core for same price as i5-4440 but more powerful.

Edit: I changed the Graphic card to a R7 250 (equal to GTX 750) since I missed the last post.

Searinex: the 6300 isn't even in the same league as the i5 in terms of performance. The 8320 is a bit faster than the i5 for rendering & such, but is significantly slower in games. Since he doesn't need rendering but he does want to game, the i5 is the obvious choice. It fits right in the budget, what's the point in lowering the graphics card and cpu performance? And no, an r7 250 is not the same as a 750. An r7 260 is.

Frankuro: it depends on what you want. If you play at 1080p an R9 280/x will do just fine, I just picked the 290 because it fits in the budget and is great for the price. Of course if you get a cheaper gpu now, when you decide to upgrade you'll have to throw it out, so make sure it fits your current needs and you won't want to upgrade in 6 months. I advise to keep gpus for at least 3 years.

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

You won't really need real requirements for entry level programming so focus your build towards gaming. 

CPU: Intel i7 - 5820k @ 4.5GHz, Cooler: Corsair H80i, Motherboard: MSI X99S Gaming 7, RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB DDR4 2666MHz CL16,

GPU: ASUS GTX 980 Strix, Case: Corsair 900D, PSU: Corsair AX860i 860W, Keyboard: Logitech G19, Mouse: Corsair M95, Storage: Intel 730 Series 480GB SSD, WD 1.5TB Black

Display: BenQ XL2730Z 2560x1440 144Hz

Searinex: the 6300 isn't even in the same league as the i5 in terms of performance. The 8320 is a bit faster than the i5 for rendering & such, but is significantly slower in games. Since he doesn't need rendering but he does want to game, the i5 is the obvious choice. It fits right in the budget, what's the point in lowering the graphics card and cpu performance? And no, an r7 250 is not the same as a 750. An r7 260 is.

Frankuro: it depends on what you want. If you play at 1080p an R9 280/x will do just fine, I just picked the 290 because it fits in the budget and is great for the price. Of course if you get a cheaper gpu now, when you decide to upgrade you'll have to throw it out, so make sure it fits your current needs and you won't want to upgrade in 6 months. I advise to keep gpus for at least 3 years.

Yes but the FX-6300 is still a powerful CPU for entry level but $80 less.

Yes but the FX-6300 is still a powerful CPU for entry level but $80 less.

...sure, but the i5 is better. And for gaming, an athlon II 860k would actually be faster.

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

if your only priority is programming you do not need a killer pc to run most ides

This will provide more than enough power for program development, coding, browsing & general work. It is in a mini-ITX case and includes dual band a/b/g/n/ac WiFi. Small case and WiFi are both very nice things to have in a dorm room.

If you want to game, just add a gpu and an hdd if you plan to own a lot of games. A 1TB hdd and GTX 970 would bring the cost up to ~$850.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-4590 3.3GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($189.95 @ SuperBiiz)
Motherboard: ASRock H97M-ITX/AC Mini ITX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($72.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ares Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  ($59.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: OCZ ARC 100 240GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($88.54 @ Amazon)
Case: Cooler Master Elite 120 Advanced (Black) Mini ITX Tower Case  ($29.99 @ Micro Center)
Power Supply: Corsair CX 500W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($39.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $481.44
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-04-06 02:22 EDT-0400

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.

What I've finally decided on.

Thanks for your input guys

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/Rk47Hx

Damnit PcPartpicker, Didn't add the CPU price will post new build in a sec for closure of this thread

Kingston V300? I thought people were brandishing pitchforks when Kingston decide to change to slower asynchronous NAND?

Also.. erm.. I think 430watt might be a bit on the unsafe side with what you have. Don't skimp on PSU, get something that will comfortably power your system and more.