Planning PCs for Dummies

Introduction:

Tired of not knowing which part is compatible? Tired of making posts to ask questions about the little things? Look no further! I, Dr. Idiot, would gladly help you! So, let's begin!

XenoTechTips:

So, you began to plan out your PC build. You either have some knowledge or not about PCs. You get lost in the internet, trying to clear up thoughts. Fear no more! The best way to start up a build is to....

PCPartPicker (I can't not stress that enough to new people)

So why PCPartPicker? First of all, it allows:

Easy and simple control of your build

Allows you to check compatibility and wattage

Allows you to see your budget, prices, and retailers

ChooseMyPC.net (Creates a foundation for your build)

Although many people usually go here, I'd advise to put the build generated into PCPartPicker as some parts can sometimes be sketchy and you can usually choose better ones.

AnandTech (Benchmarks for components)

I strongly suggest this website, as it has decent benchmarks for GPUs, CPUs, and SSDs.

LinusTechTips (obviously)

YOU'RE ON THIS WEBSITE.

Conclusion:

So now that you have the resources, go build a PC already! Don't make lists of parts off of one retailer! I swear. If you do it again...

For first time builders, please use PCPartPickerLogical Increments

Also please keep a friendly tone at all times. Have a good day/night.

Nice guide. I'd just recommend coming here though :P

I think it's great that you do something like this for the newbs. It defenitely would have helped me out a lot when I started to get my parts :rolleyes:.

Cheers  :)

No, just no.

I see SOOO many people picking i7-4790k with an h81 mobo, as well as AMD 9350 + a cheap ass mobo that can't handle OCing.... cuz u know, partpicker said it was fine!. As well as 1200w 80+ Platinum PSU with a Pentium G + r7 260x builds...

This should have been "read the guideline topic (it exists for a reason) and post a build request; the LTT community will help you".

Want to help researchers improve the lives on millions of people with just your computer? Then join World Community Grid distributed computing, and start helping the world to solve it's most difficult problems!

Agreed with above for the same reason and I also find the pcpartpicker wattage estimation is just sad... honestly... it doesnt take in account for overclock nor the custom cooled gpu that might need extra power

PLEASE QUOTE OR TAG (WITH @) ME IF YOU REALLY REALLY REALLY WANT ME TO REPLY!!!!!!!

Also if your issue is solved don't forget to mark the thread as solved!
Peace!!! from a random person in the tech's god forsaken land (named Finland or as I like to call it sarcastically FUNland)

No, just no.

I see SOOO many people picking i7-4790k with an h81 mobo, as well as AMD 9350 + a cheap ass mobo that can't handle OCing.... cuz u know, partpicker said it was fine!. As well as 1200w 80+ Platinum PSU with a Pentium G + r7 260x builds...

This should have been "read the guideline topic (it exists for a reason) and post a build request; the LTT community will help you".

Agreed with above for the same reason and I also find the pcpartpicker wattage estimation is just sad... honestly... it doesnt take in account for overclock nor the custom cooled gpu that might need extra power

Yes I know, newbies will do ridiculous things like that. Yes I know the wattage is not accurate. Maybe I did forget to say PCPartPicker was not that reliable. 

@Imakuni, I would suggest you read the CoC core values again.

For first time builders, please use PCPartPickerLogical Increments

Also please keep a friendly tone at all times. Have a good day/night.

Yes I know, newbies will do ridiculous things like that. Yes I know the wattage is not accurate. Maybe I did forget to say PCPartPicker was not that reliable. 

@Imakuni, I would suggest you read the CoC core values again.

well yea but that being said... it is extremely useful website but it isn't 100% non-techie/newbie friendly... because you still need to know your parts/platform you're building on but it is useful to see what parts are you missing (was doing a build before and forgot the PSU completely and almost ordered the parts lol) at and will at the minimum make the system works aka compatibility won't be a problem it might not be the optimal but it will work

PLEASE QUOTE OR TAG (WITH @) ME IF YOU REALLY REALLY REALLY WANT ME TO REPLY!!!!!!!

Also if your issue is solved don't forget to mark the thread as solved!
Peace!!! from a random person in the tech's god forsaken land (named Finland or as I like to call it sarcastically FUNland)