Exotic Cooling

Came across this extremely ghetto Freon cooling vid and was wondering if anyone here has did it and can share their experiences like overclocks and is it worth it. I know Little Devil does Phase Change cooling as well but are they really worth it for overclocking?

What's the difference with Freon, Phase Change and Peltier cooling anyway? So many questions haha

~~~SnapDragon~~~

| CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X @ PBO & -0.06v offset | CPU Cooler: Scythe Ninja 5 |RAM: 32GB G.Skill Flare X 3200MHz @ 3600MHz 1.45V| Mobo: Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite  | Storage: Crucial MX300 500GB + Western Digital Blue M.2 250GB + Seagate Barracuda 2TB + Western Digital 1TB Blue | Graphics Card: Asus ROG Strix RTX 2070 Super Advanced 8G | Case: Cooler Master HAF X | PSU: Superflower Leadex Silver 650W |

this is like the holy grail of cooling. it's stupid hard to do, and even harder to do safely.

peltiers are the easiest way, but you should get an extra PSU for them, they aren't very power effective. and you should use water cooling to cool the peltiers.

linus should do a techquickie on phase change.

it's like refridgerating your computer, but dangerous. condensation is an issue when these things happen.

not worth it.

We can't Benchmark like we used to, but we have our ways. One trick is to shove more GPUs in your computer. Like the time I needed to NV-Link, because I needed a higher HeavenBench score, so I did an SLI, which is what they called NV-Link back in the day. So, I decided to put two GPUs in my computer, which was the style at the time. Now, to add another GPU to your computer, costs a new PSU. Now in those days PSUs said OCZ on them, "Gimme 750W OCZs for an SLI" you'd say. Now where were we? Oh yeah, the important thing was that I had two GPUs in my rig, which was the style at the time! They didn't have RGB PSUs at the time, because of the war. The only thing you could get was those big green ones. 

this is like the holy grail of cooling. it's stupid hard to do, and even harder to do safely.

peltiers are the easiest way, but you should get an extra PSU for them, they aren't very power effective. and you should use water cooling to cool the peltiers.

it's like refridgerating your computer, but dangerous. condensation is an issue when these things happen.

not worth it.

I used non-conductive glue to cover my mobo and gpu, protecting it from condensation.

Pushed it down to the 4-5 C with 80% ethylene glycol 20% water solution. Don't ask me why I did this, please.

Freon is a trade mark name for chlorinated and fluorinated hydrocarbon refrigerant.

Phase change works like a freezer

http://www.overclockers.com/build-your-own-phase-change-pc-cooling-system/

Sub ambient cooling is not very practical for your everyday driver due to condensation. (A major bummer IMHO)

Peltier TECs never really captured my interest

not worth it.

I agree that Linus should do a Techquickie on explaining this. Even better, do a review on the Little Devil phase change unit.

I saw people isolating their cpu with some sort of substance to prevent condensation tho.

~~~SnapDragon~~~

| CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X @ PBO & -0.06v offset | CPU Cooler: Scythe Ninja 5 |RAM: 32GB G.Skill Flare X 3200MHz @ 3600MHz 1.45V| Mobo: Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite  | Storage: Crucial MX300 500GB + Western Digital Blue M.2 250GB + Seagate Barracuda 2TB + Western Digital 1TB Blue | Graphics Card: Asus ROG Strix RTX 2070 Super Advanced 8G | Case: Cooler Master HAF X | PSU: Superflower Leadex Silver 650W |

Here's a little teaser for an up-coming build guide from Linus :D

CBnSu_RUMAAYk9U.jpg

So linus really did do a Little Devil PC build!

Can't wait to watch this one!

~~~SnapDragon~~~

I agree that Linus should do a Techquickie on explaining this. Even better, do a review on the Little Devil phase change unit.

I saw people isolating their cpu with some sort of substance to prevent condensation tho.

that substance, is wax. it's used to insulate it.

We can't Benchmark like we used to, but we have our ways. One trick is to shove more GPUs in your computer. Like the time I needed to NV-Link, because I needed a higher HeavenBench score, so I did an SLI, which is what they called NV-Link back in the day. So, I decided to put two GPUs in my computer, which was the style at the time. Now, to add another GPU to your computer, costs a new PSU. Now in those days PSUs said OCZ on them, "Gimme 750W OCZs for an SLI" you'd say. Now where were we? Oh yeah, the important thing was that I had two GPUs in my rig, which was the style at the time! They didn't have RGB PSUs at the time, because of the war. The only thing you could get was those big green ones. 

fuck it. sign me up. where do i get a phase change AIO?

1 281,00 €

Bye.

xD

~~~SnapDragon~~~

and this is why i took 3 semesters of ME courses.

time to DIY.

i'll just end up using peltier plates on a seperate PSU with a costom water loop filled with mercury, whole think dunked in mineral oil.

i did it once. i'll do it again.

well... not the mercury part.

1 281,00 €

Bye.

xD

Thats for 1 compressor, wouldn't need one for each gpu too ;)

Thats for 1 compressor, wouldn't need one for each gpu too ;)

Well GPU has a limited amount of voltage that you can crank in software tho.

Wish that they had GPU overclocking in the bios tho

~~~SnapDragon~~~

• 6 months later...

Came across this extremely ghetto Freon cooling vid and was wondering if anyone here has did it and can share their experiences like overclocks and is it worth it. I know Little Devil does Phase Change cooling as well but are they really worth it for overclocking?

What's the difference with Freon, Phase Change and Peltier cooling anyway? So many questions haha

hey, please tell me about your PSU (Leadex Silver 650)  is that good? how long you've been using that? and is that possible to SLI gtx 970 slight OC with 6600k

thx mate  :rolleyes:

hey, please tell me about your PSU (Leadex Silver 650)  is that good? how long you've been using that? and is that possible to SLI gtx 970 slight OC with 6600k

thx mate  :rolleyes:

wow this is an old thread you brought back up from the dead. you should be fine with that psu. i ran 2 gtx970 and a 2600K on a be quiet power zone 650w bronze for ages. 

Rig Specs:

AMD Threadripper 5990WX@4.8Ghz

Asus Zenith III Extreme

Asrock OC Formula 7970XTX Quadfire

G.Skill Ripheartout X OC 7000Mhz C28 DDR5 4X16GB  

Super Flower Power Leadex 2000W Psu's X2

Harrynowl's 775/771 OC and mod guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/232325-lga775-core2duo-core2quad-overclocking-guide/ http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/365998-mod-lga771-to-lga775-cpu-modification-tutorial/

ProKoN haswell/DC OC guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/41234-intel-haswell-4670k-4770k-overclocking-guide/

"desperate for just a bit more money to watercool, the titan x would be thankful" Carter -2016

hallo,,, haha sorry i didn't know that. that guy using exact psu that i will bought next sunday. its hard to find a good psu here in south korea. mostly over price.

that LEADEX SILVER modular fit to my budget 90usd, but i cant get any review about that product, 

any advice? :D

hey, please tell me about your PSU (Leadex Silver 650) is that good? how long you've been using that? and is that possible to SLI gtx 970 slight OC with 6600k

thx mate :rolleyes:

Wow this is a really old thread man.

Well, I have been using it for a 960 SLI and 4690K setup for a few months now. You should be fine with your 970 and 6600K.

~~~SnapDragon~~~