HDD DYING! -something finally snapped in my head.

monaka25

The drive that you have is an older 1TB WD RE3 which is a 7,200 rpm Enterprise SATA2 (3Gb/s) HDD. It is optimized with features for reliability and  performance. Here's some more info on the drive: http://products.wdc.com/support/kb.ashx?id=CPEQ6A :)

Captain_WD.

Thanks. I have seen that PDF before, but It is really useful to refer to! I will run the test... except I might need to download stuff to my C drive while I test it.. #SoftwarefornewlogitechG510Skeyboard. Again, sorry about late response. Lol. It hasn't made the noise in awhile...

MOTHERBOARD: some Asus motherboard CPU: I3-4130 GPU: Gigabyte(?) GT-1030 RAM: 8GB G.SKILL SNIPER 1600MHZ RAM + 4GB AMD ram PSU: Corsair CX450 CASE: Corsair Spec-03 OS: Win 10 64 bit Keyboard: Logitech G510s Mouse: Corsair G300s Camera: Canon EOS Rebel T5
I like outdoor warning sirens. Ask me anything about them.

buy a new hard drive asap and cut and paste to it or clone it. I would never expect 7 years from a hard drive. (have 13 terabytes of them)

You never know. There are some companies like western digital and a few seagate models that are still going, and I got those things running all the time, and I got them back in 2006. one is 40 Gb and the other 3 that I have are 80GB's in custom raid.

CPU: Pentium G3258 @ 3.2GHz || GPU:(first release,used) MSI R9 270 OC || Motherboard:MSI Z97-G45 Gaming Motherboard || RAM: 8 GB G.Skill Sniper 1600 || Monitors: Vizio 22 in Ultra slim 1080p TV || Storage: Seagate barracuda 160 GB 7200RPM,(REFURB) 1TB toshiba 7200RPM || PSU: (stripped from 2013 CAD PC)Corsair CX600 build was under $420

BE SURE TO FOLLOW YOUR THREADS! READ THIS BEFORE POSTING IN TROUBLESHOOTING!! http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/40334-read-before-asking-for-help/

The quick test checks the S.M.A.R.T. status of the drive while the extended checks thoroughly the drive for bad sectors. The long one does take a long time to finis and I would advise you to complete it. Since the drive passed the quick test, I believe it either has a physical/mechanical problem or it has bad sectors. Either way, I would also suggest replacing the drive. You can check its warranty status here: http://products.wdc.com/support/kb.ashx?id=DYn5ya

Captain_WD.

*Jaws drops* It passed the extended test... GG. Only thing I did during it was stuff that is on my SSD. chrome, the test :P,and a driver I downloaded during the test for my new G510s. WOW... it only made sound near the beginning.. I am seroius.. how is this still going..

MOTHERBOARD: some Asus motherboard CPU: I3-4130 GPU: Gigabyte(?) GT-1030 RAM: 8GB G.SKILL SNIPER 1600MHZ RAM + 4GB AMD ram PSU: Corsair CX450 CASE: Corsair Spec-03 OS: Win 10 64 bit Keyboard: Logitech G510s Mouse: Corsair G300s Camera: Canon EOS Rebel T5
I like outdoor warning sirens. Ask me anything about them.

*Jaws drops* It passed the extended test... GG. Only thing I did during it was stuff that is on my SSD. chrome, the test :P,and a driver I downloaded during the test for my new G510s. WOW... it only made sound near the beginning.. I am seroius.. how is this still going..

Rule of thumb:

If it failed the test, it's dead; If it passed the test, it might still be dead.

Spoiler

I7 4790K @4.5 Ghz 1.294V

VALIDATION, MSI Z97 Gaming 7, 24GB DDR3 1600, Asus Strix 1070 8GB OC@ 2.2Ghz, Corsair graphite series 760T (Black), Cooler master V850, NH-D15 w/LNA ,1TB Samsung 850 Evo,  480GB Sandisk Ultra II SSD, 3TB Seagate Barracuda x 3, 1 TB WD Passport (Backup drive), 2 TB WD Passport (Backup Drive 2),  Windows 10 Pro x64 (uhg), Logitech G900 Chaos (Main), Steelseries Rival (FADE) (Courtesy of Edzel Yago, Thanks Ed), Steelsieres Rival 300 Hyperbeast Special Edition, Coolermaster Quickfire TKL (MX Blue), Razer Blackwidow Tournament edition (Greens).  Audio: Sennheiser HD598 SE, Edifier S1000DB, AudioEngine D1 DAC; Yamaha MG06X Mixer & AudioTechnica AT2020.

Phones; Daily drivers: Nexus 6P 64GB/iPhone 6 (Music), Apple Watch, Apple AirPods.

Laptop: 2015 Macbook Pro 13, 8GB of RAM, 2.7Ghz i5, 240GB Apple SSD. 

Spoiler

Plex Server: i7 3770, Gigabyte Board, 16GB DDR3 1600, Asus Strix GTX 1050ti 4GB, 120GB SSD Boot Drive, 8 x 3TB Seagate Barracuda, Rosewill RSV-R4000 With 2 Rosewill Hot Swap 4x Backplane Bays, 1050 Watt Corsair HX Series PSU,Hyper T2, Windows 10 Pro 

I also do Youtube, check me out!

As @TDP_Equinox mentioned, passing the test indicates that the drive should be safe to use and should function properly. However, if there is no bad sectors or errors on the S.M.A.R.T. status, but rather something mechanical inside that is causing the sound, the diagnostic utility might not be able to detect it. My suggestion would be to back up your data, just in case (better safe than sorry), and if the sound is worrying you, apply for an RMA procedure (if the drive happens to be still under warranty). If not - replace the drive with a new one.  :)

Captain_WD.

If this helped you, like and choose it as best answer - you might help someone else with the same issue. ^_^
WDC Representative, http://www.wdc.com/