Windows 7,8.1 and 10 question?

DarthVader1022

Hello everyone,

So what I like to know and this is just out of pure curiosity can Windows 7,8.1 and 10 be installed on a external hard drive and will they run from the external hard drive..

Yes

Fractal Design Define R4 | MSI x79a-GD45 | 3960X @ 4.6Ghz | Lots of EK Blocks | EVGA GTX780Ti 3GB | Corsair Dominator Platinum 16GB (4x4) DDR3 1866 | Samsung 840 Pro 512GB SSD | Western Digital Red 2TB x4 (Raid 10) | Corsair AX760 | Windows 7 Professional 64-bit

In theory, you can run them from any source.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

Thank You both,

I wanted for fun try this,now is there any special instruction I need to know to install Windows on a external hard drive or can I just do it the same way I would install Windows on a internal drive?

Thanks again for your help..

Thank You both,

I wanted for fun try this,now is there any special instruction I need to know to install Windows on a external hard drive or can I just do it the same way I would install Windows on a internal drive?

Thanks again for your help..

It'll be done the same way.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

It'll be done the same way.

Thank You going to go give this a try this week to see how well it works..

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Everyone.

Sorry I have not had the chance to give this a try let ran into some health issues so I am feeling better now.

So I going to do it this weekend but before I go ahead and do this I do have another question and it may be a dumb question but since I have never done this I want to make sure I am doing this correctly.

My question is when I go to install what ever OS 9which I thinking of trying Windows 10)I want to install on my USB external hard drive do I need to have just the external drive hooked up to my PC or can I leave my other HD still hooked up the one that is running my OS on it..?

Also is there any good YouTube video's that shows the correct steps on how to do this,I was looking and I did find one but the video of the person does not even talk in the video he just shows the steps by typing it out.

I could try to follow his steps but it be very nice to actually have some one talking about the steps and not having to listen to background music which I find to be distracting...

Hello Everyone,

I went a head and tried to install Windows on a 1tb WD element USB external drive and I am now running into issues on how to get it installed,I been following this video on how to install Windows.

I will try my best to describe the problem I having..

here is the video I been following.

I would also like to mentioned that the PC I am using has a Samsung EVO 250gb SSD as my main OS and a 1tb WD drive as a storage drive,so now when I get to where he tells me using CMD he tells me to choose what disk your wanting to install Windows so in my case it would be Disk 3..

Now this is where I am having the issue,when he says type in Create Partition Primary and then you type in Select Disk again mine would be Disk 3 so I type in Select Partition 3 and then I get a message saying there is no disc,

Now when I go to see if my drive is showing in my computer it no longer shows my USB external drive,but if I go to manage in my computer it shows it there..

I also like to mentioned I was seeing all my drives in CMD till I got to the step after Create Partition Primary and then I had to choose Select Disk 3..this is where I am seeing it say there is no disk..

Can anyone tell me why I am having this issue..