Buying the cheapest laptop available.

codytappen

I'm still paying off my current desktop and I would very much enjoy a cheap laptop I could use to browse the web, and watch videos on. I have a phone (HTC One X Evita) that I use for my primary mobile media consumption, but I'd like to be able to properly type in things (like forum posts, or IRCs) and access full versions of websites. I found this http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834314074

for 200 bucks and it looks like the best value I'm going to get. The keyboard and battery life are by far the most important parts of the laptop so if there's one better available cheaper or at a better price I'd like to check it out. The only other thing I've seen is the Thinkpad T61 (refurb.) is it a better option?

Please quote me if you want me to see your post about my post, otherwise I may lose track of the thread and never see it.

I'd love to help, but I'm probably gonna' have to ask for more info before we can get anything done.

Have a wonderful day.

As far as keyboard goes I would expect the lenovo to have a much better keyboard. You also have to factor in that the chromebook can only run the browser but it seems that in your case that is the only thing you want to do anyway. The chromebook will have the added advantage of having much faster boot up times because it has an ssd. If you just want to open it up every once in a while and go on the web for a little that would give it an advantage. I don't know where you would be getting the lenovo from but it is an old laptop and it might not come with a new battery. The battery might be so dead and you would have to plug in all the time. Although the acer chromebook battery life is not outstanding I still suspect it will be better than that of the lenovo. Hope this helps.

It sounds a chromebook would fits your needs quite nicely. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

I would go with the Samsung Chromebook instead of the Acer or HP ones. Also, if you flip the developer switch (all Chromebooks have them) you can do whatever you want to the device- including installing Linux distributions (Ubuntu, Fedora, Arch).

My system | Nexus 4 (16GB) with CyanogenMod 12 | Pebble smartwatch | Dropbox | about.me: Tom Burnes -

The Chromebook fits your needs perfectly. I would go with the Samsung Chromebook over the Acer one you linked. It is better in pretty much every aspect.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=34-131-403

| Currently no gaming rig | Dell XPS 13 (9343) |

| Samsung Galaxy Note5 | Gear VR | Nvidia Shield Tab | Xbox One |

Are you all sure the cheap chrome books will have better keyboards than the t61? I always heard the old Think Pads had incredible keyboards.

Please quote me if you want me to see your post about my post, otherwise I may lose track of the thread and never see it.

I'd love to help, but I'm probably gonna' have to ask for more info before we can get anything done.

Have a wonderful day.

Are you all sure the cheap chrome books will have better keyboards than the t61? I always heard the old Think Pads had incredible keyboards.

They won't.