Is my CPU bottlenecking my GPU? (phenom x6 1045t @4.0ghz and HD 7950)

Hi, 

I was wondering if it is worth upgrading my CPU for better gaming performance. Any suggestions regarding how much should I be spending and what kind of performance increase could I expect?

From what I've read I'm assuming I'll probably have to upgrade my cpu and mobo. My budget is currently around $400, but I could go higher if it's really worth the performance increase. 

Thanks.  :)

Cpu: fx-6300 @ 4.5ghz | Case: Corsair 300r | Motherbord: Asus M5A97 R2.0 Ram: Corsair Vengeance LP 8gb Arctic White 1.35V Storage: AData 120gb SSD & 1TB WD 
Video Card: Gigabyte HD 7950 | Power Supply: Apevia 800W Cooling: CoolerMaster 212 EVO | Peripherals: Corsair K60, Razer Tiapan, Goliathus Extended & V-moda LP crossfade

I wouldn't say so. The 8320/8350 are both half decent and since AMD single threaded performance hasn't  gone anywhere in the past few years I would say that it would be all the same. 

If your motherboard supports the new AM3+ chips I would get one of those to be sure. 

Check to see if any of your cores are pinned at anywhere near 100%

+1 for Halo 3 fan!

It should be alright on games that aren't too much Cpu heavy

I7 4770K - @4.5Ghz  |  Be quiet Dark Rock Pro 3  | Asus Maximus VII Ranger Z97  | Kingston Genesis 8GB | Be quiet Power Zone 750w   | Sapphire R9 Fury X |  Sandisk SSD 120Go + WD Green 1TB 7200 rpm | Nzxt Phantom 410

maybe if u managed to get it to something like 4.4 since u have an h60, you'd be set but as of now I cant see any situations that it would, make sure to turn up the details because I bet you'd get around the same fps on low settings 800x600 than on 1080p high  

I wouldn't say so. The 8320/8350 are both half decent and since AMD single threaded performance hasn't  gone anywhere in the past few years I would say that it would be all the same. 

If your motherboard supports the new AM3+ chips I would get one of those to be sure. 

Check to see if any of your cores are pinned at anywhere near 100%

+1 for Halo 3 fan!

I was pretty surprised by how far the 1045t could be overclocked. I recently upgrade my gpu from a gtx 280 and haven't done much research yet on what has been released and updated over the pasted two years. thanks again for the info!

Cpu: fx-6300 @ 4.5ghz | Case: Corsair 300r | Motherbord: Asus M5A97 R2.0 Ram: Corsair Vengeance LP 8gb Arctic White 1.35V Storage: AData 120gb SSD & 1TB WD 
Video Card: Gigabyte HD 7950 | Power Supply: Apevia 800W Cooling: CoolerMaster 212 EVO | Peripherals: Corsair K60, Razer Tiapan, Goliathus Extended & V-moda LP crossfade

overclock a bit more and it should be fine in most of the senerios

He is the hero this forum deserves but not the one it needs right now.So we'll hunt him because he can take it because he is not our hero he is a silent guardian 

a watchful protector A Dark Knight

You will notice it alot in games like skyrim. My fx 8320 is at the RMA stage right now but it has a very noticeable increase of performance compared to the i3 which im using at the moment. We are talking 40% increase. Anyways get ready for the next gen of games which will use 8 cores as the next gen consoles have 8 cores meaning all will be used benefiting us pc men a lot with 8 core cpus. yay

cpu: intel i5 4670k @ 4.5ghz Ram: G skill ares 2x4gb 2166mhz cl10 Gpu: GTX 680 liquid cooled cpu cooler: Raijintek ereboss Mobo: gigabyte z87x ud5h psu: cm gx650 bronze Case: Zalman Z9 plus

Listen if you care.

Cpu: intel i7 4770k @ 4.2ghz Ram: G skill  ripjaws 2x4gb Gpu: nvidia gtx 970 cpu cooler: akasa venom voodoo Mobo: G1.Sniper Z6 Psu: XFX proseries 650w Case: Zalman H1

I just upgraded from a 1075t@4.1 to a 4770k @stock and the difference is night and day. I have a 560ti @975-2200 before it was @ 1000-2200 full volts and arma2 and 3 are smoother on the same card @ a lower clock I see about a 10% performance increase in most games. Bioshock infinite, tomb raider and natural selection. From my experience I would say upgrade but I also edit videos and stuff so 10-15%  may not be worth it for you to do a complete platform change just to play games. the 4670k will probably be right about the same increase since most games don't use threads. I was going to get this combo until I lost my fucking mind and over spent on my upgrade. http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.1385940

4770k @4.4 / 16GB @2400 / Plextor MP5X 128GB / MSI Mpower Z87 / MSI GTX 1070 Armor OC / AX860 / XSPC RX240 & EX240 / Koolance 380i / CM 690 II / Qnix 1440p @96Hz / Benq XL2420G

Current Status: Mourning the loss of my 780 ti 

I just upgraded from a 1075t@4.1 to a 4770k @stock and the difference is night and day. I have a 560ti @975-2200 before it was @ 1000-2200 full volts and arma2 and 3 are smoother on the same card @ a lower clock I see about a 10% performance increase in most games. Bioshock infinite, tomb raider and natural selection. From my experience I would say upgrade but I also edit videos and stuff so 10-15%  may not be worth it for you to do a complete platform change just to play games. the 4670k will probably be right about the same increase since most games don't use threads. I was going to get this combo until I lost my fucking mind and over spent on my upgrade. http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.1385940

WHATT THA FAKK İS YOUR AVATAR?? Are you kidding me when did you record me??

He is the hero this forum deserves but not the one it needs right now.So we'll hunt him because he can take it because he is not our hero he is a silent guardian 

a watchful protector A Dark Knight

1. is your CPU running 100% in games non stop

2. if not you are not bottlenecked too much

3. if yes you are bottlenecked quite a bit

before upgrading and you have the answer yes to questions 1 and 2, try using the windows timer resolution application ( download the free version it works for windows 7, been using it for 5 months or so )

http://www.lucashale.com/timer-resolution/

this speeds up your OS when tasking cores essentially

If you have the answer yes to questions 1 and 3, i think it's time to upgrade...

System

CPU: i7 4770kMotherboard: Asus Maximus VI HeroRAM: HyperX KHX318C9SRK4/32 - 32GB DDR3-1866 CL9 / GPU: Gainward Geforce GTX 670 Phantom Case: Cooler Master HAF XBStorage: 1 TB WD BluePSU: Cooler Master V-650sDisplay(s): Dell U2312HM, LG194WT, LG E1941

Cooling: Noctua NH-D15Keyboard: Logitech G710+Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus SpectrumSound: Focusrite 2i4 - USB DAC / OS: Windows 7 (still holding on XD)

WHATT THA FAKK İS YOUR AVATAR?? Are you kidding me when did you record me??

I'm the NSA...I'm always watching... :ph34r:

4770k @4.4 / 16GB @2400 / Plextor MP5X 128GB / MSI Mpower Z87 / MSI GTX 1070 Armor OC / AX860 / XSPC RX240 & EX240 / Koolance 380i / CM 690 II / Qnix 1440p @96Hz / Benq XL2420G

Current Status: Mourning the loss of my 780 ti