2x Gtx 780 with AMD FX 8320 - Bottleneck?

alleyn321
Go to solution Solved by david cassar,

Hm I thought so ...

What about my Question about memory / motherboard?

By that it means that it can support memory that is up to 2133 mhz in clock. I believe that if you put in memory that is clocked higher it would still work but it would be downclocked to 2133 mhz. If you are gaming however memory clock speed makes almost no difference so I just reccomend getting the cheapest and most reliable memory you can find.

Hi LinusTechTips people!

Soon I will be getting second Gtx 780 for SLI and I want to know if my CPU is "strong" enough to handle it?

Also I have a question about my Motherboard Assus crosshair V formula ( non Z version ). it says it can support up to 2133mhz (O.C) memory. What does the OC mean? Only Overclocked to 2133mhz? So if I buy memory with base clock of 2133mhz it wont work? Only 1866mhz ( or less ) overclocked to 2133mhz?

Huge bottleneck. But It also depends on the resolution. If you are playing at 1080p or even 1440p then yes you will be bottlenecking the 780s a lot. At 4k however they wouldn't be bottlenecked that much as 4k is very taxing on the gpus.

Huge bottleneck. But It also depends on the resolution. If you are playing at 1080p or even 1440p then yes you will be bottlenecking the 780s a lot. At 4k however they wouldn't be bottlenecked that much as 4k is very taxing on the gpus.

Hm I thought so ...

Hm I thought so ...

By that it means that it can support memory that is up to 2133 mhz in clock. I believe that if you put in memory that is clocked higher it would still work but it would be downclocked to 2133 mhz. If you are gaming however memory clock speed makes almost no difference so I just reccomend getting the cheapest and most reliable memory you can find.

The memory should be fine i used to run 2133 on my 8350 when i had it and it was no problem it is only a precaution because amd's memory controller is weaksauce 

For the memory, it may not be set to that when you install it, and may have to be set manually to that value or via XMP.

FX + SLI

Depends on the situation. specific cases can be problematic.

If chasing a MINIMUM of 75fps, at a CONSTANT level,.. for the Oculus Rift's 75hz, which IS absolutely needed, the FX CPU's won't be able to do it for some games, where other CPU's can.

I know that this is a VERY specific case,.. but there are other cases too, for most people, the performance is acceptable as when you CRANK the huge details and then throw super sampling and such,.. your gunna be GPU bound anyway.

But for MINFPS requirements, (Oculus).. it can be an issue.

If I was to have SLI,. I'd use supersampling IMO and then I'd be GPU bound.

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz