PSU makes a crackling noise

DoubleUx2

Hello everyone,

Starting yesterday my PSU makes strange crackling sounds.

I have determined that it is not the fan and I hope you guys know what the problem is.

It does not always make that sound, I wanted to benchmark my pc today and it started making that sound.

Yesterday it happend while I was playing a game on high settings.

The sound it makes: 

Not my video, just found it online.

The PSU name is: Seasonic S12II-Bronze 520W

My spec list:

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($207.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Motherboard: ASRock B85 Pro4 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($74.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Storage: Crucial M500 240GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($115.00 @ B&H) 
Video Card: MSI Radeon R9 280X 3GB TWIN FROZR Video Card  ($300.00 @ Amazon) 
Power Supply: SeaSonic S12II 520W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply  ($63.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer  ($19.75 @ OutletPC) 
Total: $891.46
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-03-29 07:13 EDT-0400
Estimated wattage: 438

I hope you guys can help.

Started Folding@Home on 02-05-2015

stick a toothpick in the fan. if the fan is stopped does it make a sound?

if no, the fan is crap, replace it. if yes then the PSU is crap, replace it.  honestly if it's an old old PSU i'd swap it out anyway. bad sounds are the sign of upgrade time.

We can't Benchmark like we used to, but we have our ways. One trick is to shove more GPUs in your computer. Like the time I needed to NV-Link, because I needed a higher HeavenBench score, so I did an SLI, which is what they called NV-Link back in the day. So, I decided to put two GPUs in my computer, which was the style at the time. Now, to add another GPU to your computer, costs a new PSU. Now in those days PSUs said OCZ on them, "Gimme 750W OCZs for an SLI" you'd say. Now where were we? Oh yeah, the important thing was that I had two GPUs in my rig, which was the style at the time! They didn't have RGB PSUs at the time, because of the war. The only thing you could get was those big green ones. 

@DoubleUx2 follow your own topics.

We can't Benchmark like we used to, but we have our ways. One trick is to shove more GPUs in your computer. Like the time I needed to NV-Link, because I needed a higher HeavenBench score, so I did an SLI, which is what they called NV-Link back in the day. So, I decided to put two GPUs in my computer, which was the style at the time. Now, to add another GPU to your computer, costs a new PSU. Now in those days PSUs said OCZ on them, "Gimme 750W OCZs for an SLI" you'd say. Now where were we? Oh yeah, the important thing was that I had two GPUs in my rig, which was the style at the time! They didn't have RGB PSUs at the time, because of the war. The only thing you could get was those big green ones. 

Like Kidjt94 Said, stick a toothpick in the fan, No Noise, Replace the fan, if there's still noise, i wouldn't use the unit anymore.

500 Posts achieved 29/4/16 9:13PM

i7 980x Power! BeamnDrivionothbesgameComicSans

“I was the rebellious one.” - Maxene Andrews

Damn that's a nice hair flick 1981 Simon LeBon!

"Nothing gets you going like a juicy pussy!" - ashens

"what sorry blender isn't that what you make smoothe?" - pathole

"Yeah, well i'm a member of the waffen ss who lives with hitler in the bunker And i like modern music!" - Hans krebs loves fish

"We won world war 2 for a reason" - ironic shitposting is still shitposting

"Fight shooting game with pretty girls" - megami strike 1943

"You've got wood in an evo" - moog

"oxygofishafacematerialsotosis" - linus

"Vehicle stimulator" - crappy russian mod site

"The power table" - Nerdcubed

"Nuclear spaghetti" - ashens

FRANKIE SAYS RELAX!!!!

Ill try that when it starts making the noise again.

The PSU is just over a year old so I still got my warranty.

Thanks guys.

So I have confirmed that it is not the fan making the noise.

So now Im going to contact the company who sold it to me for a replacement.

@ I didnt even know there was a follow button, I just checked my content on my profile page. Thanks for letting me know.

@ I didnt even know there was a follow button, I just checked my content on my profile page. Thanks for letting me know.

coolbeans dude. RMA it and hope it works well for you.

Definitely do that, meanwhile, DO NOT USE IT. A bad PSU can fry everything in your PC.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

Definitely do that, meanwhile, DO NOT USE IT. A bad PSU can fry everything in your PC.

Yeah, I switched to my laptop now. (Which also needs to be repaired due to an unbalanced fan)

And I am already making upgrade plans, probably going to buy the Corsair RM750 to make my system future proof.