Home file server build rev 2

razorsedge541

I'm trying to figure out what exactly would be a good overall solution for a home file server.

I'm considering running raid 1 (mirrored) on the onboard RAID controller of a Asus P8H77-V LE motherboard, but I'm not sure if the onboard controller would be good for this application. Also, I'm not sure if I should go for something like two 3TB WD Red drives, or something different. Essentially any suggestions for the build (especially cutting costs where I don't need it but keeping solid parts and long warranties) would be greatly appreciated.

Build:

Case: Corsair 400R ~$100

Storage: 2x 3TB WD Red Drives ~$170 Each

PSU: Corsair TX650 ~$90

Motherboard: Asus P8H77-V LE ~$120

CPU: i3-2100 ~$120

Cheers!

Have you considered a NAS enclosure?

Yes, but in my research I've concluded that a 10 bay NAS might not be what I need/have the budget for right now, but with a file server build into a normal desktop midtower chassis, I could adapt the setup to fit my needs better than a prebuilt NAS.

One example is the following:

Right now I forsee myself using two mirrored 3TB drives and a boot drive (ssd or hd, not sure yet) for a simple RAID 1 file server. Down the line, when my storage needs expand more, I might decide to go for a 4 drive based RAID 6 or something similar. Instead of going out and getting a two bay NAS and then a four bay one, I can cut down on the overlapping components and just add a good RAID card that supports RAID 6 and then add the additional storage drives needed. For "good" NAS's I've seen they run around 500-1000 for the amount of drives I can fit in the 400R, so I'd just prefer getting a complete computer (that might double as a basic workstation five or ten years down the road) with the flexibility to assess different needs as they arise.

Cheers!!