Is this a good match?

mapexlegend

Hi will the Asus Xonar essences stx and a set of 5" - 8" studio monitors sound good? or will using a essence one be better? or are there any alternatives? 

I want really good computer audio not just for gaming but for music and movies as well, however I'm unsure how to achieve this. I know onboard audio is very poor quality but whats the best way to get good audio without going into $10000 audiophile equipment?

Bascially, you want to go for the best Xonar your budget can allow for, and it's really up in the air for speakers. Unless you're willing to shell out quite a bit of money for high quality, a good pair of headphones is going to be your best choice.

CPU: i5 4670k • Cooler: Corsair H100i • Motherboard: MSI Z87 MPOWER • RAM: Crucial Ballistix Elite 2x 8GB • Storage: Samsung 840 250GB SSD, 2x WD Red 3TB • GPU: EVGA GTX 780 3GB • PSU: Corsair RM750W • Case: Corsair 750D • Mouse: Razer Naga 2012 (I actually use the thing for productivity/media buttons) • Keyboard: Ducky Shine 3 w/ Browns - Green LED • Monitor: Asus PB278Q 27" 2560 x 1440, ASUS PB238Q 23" 1920x1080 • Lighting: 2m NZXT Sleeved Blue LED Strip • pcpartpicker.com/p/3cHfZ

What's your budget look like? It's usually better to put the most money you can into your speakers/headphones and then worry about soundcards after. The sound difference between soundcards is minimal compared to the difference between good and bad speakers.

Creative ZxR is another option which I believe has a better DAC in it than the Xonar. As for speakers, check out the Audioengine A5+. Great sounding audiophile quality speakers for around $300 when on sale. Bought mine for $320 at NCIX about a month ago. Currently using it with a Xonar ST but will be getting rid of that in favor of an external DAC/Amp combo in the future. Probably the Schiit Bifrost / Asgard 2 combo.

if you actually care, get an external dac/amp from an audio company, not asus or creative.

Will work for electronic components and parts

Reviews: Meelec CC51P - Monoprice 8323 - Koss Porta Pros  - Shure SRH-440 - Shure SRH-550DJShure SRH-840 - Hifiman He-500 - iBasso D4 - o2 Amplifier  -  SkeletonDac

if you actually care, get an external dac/amp from an audio company, not asus or creative.

This.

I would look at a few USB DAC's from company's like Schiit Audio, HRT (High Resolution Techonolies) and Audioengine.

Although, creative is an audio company....

For Speakers?  How about a Behringer UCA202?

http://www.amazon.com/Behringer-UCA202-Audio-Interface/dp/B000KW2YEI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1373257156&sr=8-1&keywords=Behringer+UCA202

then use the line outs to your receiver(amp) and hook up the speakers to the receiver(amp).  Like so:

Z8FMJ.png

"Pardon my French but this is just about the most ignorant blanket statement I've ever read. And though this is the internet, I'm not even exaggerating."

http://www.amazon.com/Behringer-UCA202-Audio-Interface/dp/B000KW2YEI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1373257156&sr=8-1&keywords=Behringer+UCA202

then use the line outs to your receiver(amp) and hook up the speakers to the receiver(amp).  Like so:

[pic]

How is anyone going to pick an "audio interface" when looking for a DAC?

How is anyone going to pick an "audio interface" when looking for a DAC?

gosh, I dunno.  The Germans were never great salesmen.  They used to just let their tanks speak for themselves...

"Pardon my French but this is just about the most ignorant blanket statement I've ever read. And though this is the internet, I'm not even exaggerating."

Although, creative is an audio company....

I almost consider them more of a peripheral company now.

Reviews: Meelec CC51P - Monoprice 8323 - Koss Porta Pros  - Shure SRH-440 - Shure SRH-550DJShure SRH-840 - Hifiman He-500 - iBasso D4 - o2 Amplifier  -  SkeletonDac

I have had an stx as a digital input for my system in the past and it worked really very well. i have spend more than ten times what an stx costs on a dac and for the most part have only really noticed preferential differences. for sure a top shelf dac will be better but for the price you cant really beat the stx.

as for asus not being a credible company from which to buy sound equipment from, put away your prejudices and judge with your ears. the stx does a fine job indeed.

having said that if you have a bit more budget, i would really recommend chucking a fairly inexpensive amp in the middle there, like a marantz pm5004 for example. the extra power and conditioning of output will make a noticeable difference.

Audio Setup---- Marten Django XL speakers: Conrad-Johnson LP125M power amp: Convergent Audio Technology SL1 Renaissance preamp: Clearaudio Ovation & Clarify turntable

I would not say that. I use the Essence One as an secondary AMP/DAC combo (main setup is NuWave+WA2) and in relation to its price the Essence One just kicks the ass of my 2000$+ combo. 

But i would only recommend the Essence One for a headphone setup, since you also pay the headphone amp in the One. 

But to recommend speakers we need more information:

-Budget? 

-Active or passive speaker? 

-Where do you want to hear music? Just at your desk? 

-Do you already have something like an old amp? 

I never said go with the essence one.

Three are plenty of much cheaper options out there. (Fiio e10?)

Hey, My budget is around 500-600 Australian all up, that includes dac/amp as well as speakers(if that's possible),

It will be just used on the desk in my bedroom,

I want to be able to use headphones as well as play through a set of good quality active speakers.

What I'm asking is it worth paying extra to go from a Xonar Essence Stx to the Essence one? and are there any alternatives to an essence one for around the same price?

I guess in essence i want a 2.0/2.1 active speaker system that runs through a high quality sound car or dac. 

I hope this helps and thanks for all your advice so far, its very helpful :)

Z8FMJ.png

Will the audio interface work properly and without any trouble with games, itunes, vlc player, youtube? or will i have to go through and adjust alot of settings?

I guess in essence i want a 2.0/2.1 active speaker system that runs through a high quality sound car or dac. 

Well played sir.

What I'm asking is it worth paying extra to go from a Xonar Essence Stx to the Essence one? and are there any alternatives to an essence one for around the same price?

There are alternatives to the Essence One, and at lower prices which would leave more room for better speakers/headphones. Always choose better speakers/headphones over a "better" soundcard.

Schiit Modi + Magni

FiiO E9k + E17

Pair the output of the Modi or E9k with a Lepai amp to drive the speakers and you're golden. Don't let the $20 price tag of the Lepi, nor the $500+ dollar price of the Essence one fool you

Will the audio interface work properly and without any trouble with games, itunes, vlc player, youtube? or will i have to go through and adjust alot of settings?

It's just a USB soundcard, it'll work great for any audio.

With i budget of 500-600$ i would i  would get an Xonar DG(X) and invest the rest in speakers. In this budget you get way bigger improvements with better speakers than with a better DAC/AMP. And the DAC is way cheaper to replace/upgrade than a set of speakers.
Dont know the prices in Austrailia, but a pair of Adam A3x should fit that price range. 

whats the difference between the Xonar st/stx and the Xonar dg?

Mainly the better DAC and AMP, but i would not buy a 200$ soundcard for 300-400$ speakers, you get better performance with ~50$ soundcard and 450-550$ speakers. 

I wouldn't skimp entirely on it, you still want something decent.

and the cheap but quality dac recommendation seems to always be the fiio e10.

I can't come up with anything that cheap and good that isn't diy.

Not a fan of fiio products. 

They are cheap but they have often quality issues such as strange background noises etc. (i sent mine in 2 times, but there are also people who have no problems with it)

And the DAC of the E10 isn't really better than the DGX imo. Just the AMP is noticable better