Overclocking i5 46X0K?

Go to solution Solved by RedSphyxis,

@WildCAt to begin with video rendering benefits from more cores/threads rather than it's clock speed. So overclocking won't give you a big advantage when rendering. But the higher clock speeds will give you benefits when it comes to games.

Hello ^^

Is it worth to overcolock i5 4670K or 4690K? (I haven't bought anything yet)

I mean, ofc, why not if I'll purchase one but will there be a good performance boost for gaming and video rendering? (Overclocking with air cooler) 

Or there is no such big difference and I can just buy lower grade i5, for example ~4590 and don't bother about overclocking with small performance loss?

Well my 4670k @ stock and at my 4.2GHz saw a pretty significant boost, at least for me. In games like BF3 and Skyrim, mostly. I say the boost is definitely there but I don't think you should expect godly changes.

|  The United Empire of Earth Wants You | The Stormborn (ongoing build; 90% done)  |  Skyrim Mods Recommendations  LTT Blue Forum Theme! | Learning Russian! Blog |
|"They got a war on drugs so the police can bother me.”Tupac Shakur  | "Half of writing history is hiding the truth"Captain Malcolm Reynolds | "Museums are racist."Michelle Obama | "Slap a word like "racist" or "nazi" on it and you'll have an army at your back."MSM Logic | "A new command I give you: love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another"Jesus Christ | "I love the Union and the Constitution, but I would rather leave the Union with the Constitution than remain in the Union without it."Jefferson Davis |

Gaming performance won't increase a ton because even at stock speeds the i5 isn't much of a bottleneck (in most games, there ARE some exceptions). Video rendering however will benefit from pretty much any overclocking you can do. Still, it's free performance, so why not do it? ;)

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

@WildCAt to begin with video rendering benefits from more cores/threads rather than it's clock speed. So overclocking won't give you a big advantage when rendering. But the higher clock speeds will give you benefits when it comes to games.

|CPU: Intel i7-5960X @ 4.4ghz|MoBo: Asus Rampage V|RAM: 64GB Corsair Dominator Platinum|GPU:2-way SLI Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 980's|SSD:512GB Samsung 850 pro|HDD: 2TB WD Black|PSU: Corsair AX1200i|COOLING: NZXT Kraken x61|SOUNDCARD: Creative SBX ZxR|  ^_^  Planned Bedroom Build: Red Phantom [quadro is stuck in customs, still trying to find a cheaper way to buy a highend xeon]

Yes its diffidently worth it. I saw a average of 10 fps increase while gaming

Buy the 4690k. It's not much more expensive and you can get at least mildly better performance out of it.

Main PC: 4690k, LMG Edition G1 Gaming GTX 980, 16GB Hyper X Fury, Asus Z97-A, EVGA G2 850W, Crucial MX100 128GB, WD Red 1TB 2.5", Dark Rock 3

Laptop: Asus UX305 Monitor: Asus PB278Q Keyboard: Filco Majestouch 2 TKL Mouse: Corsair M65

I got a 4690k at 4.7 ghz right now with liquid cooling i got mine up to 4.5 on an air cooler and while the performance difference wasn't huge it was still noticeable. I would say get the K even if you aren't planning to oc now jsut to get a little extra life out of it down the road.

If you are going with a K series i5, make sure to get the 4690k. The 4670k has some IHS issues (same as Ivy Bridge) which is corrected in the 4690k (Devils Canyon). Meaning that the 4690k will give you more overclocking headroom as it runs about 10C cooler: http://www.anandtech.com/show/8227/devils-canyon-review-intel-core-i7-4790k-and-i5-4690k/2

4670k @ 4.3GHz w/ Deepcool Lucifer | ASRock z97e-itx/ac | 2x4GB G Skill Ares | MSI TFiii HD 7870 @ 1150/1450| OCZ Vertex 4 128GB + 1TB | Bitfenix Prodigy Black | Antec TP-650C