Android vs. iOS

MuffinTopMike

Your statement about Android costing less or something along those lines is not true. I however respect the opinion you presented about disliking Windows Phone.

I mean for example my phone specifications are the same as the iPhone 6 (besides CPU) and it's something like $300 cheaper.

Yeah good idea, no point spending $700 on a flagship smartphone only to realize I don't like the OS.

don't forget to try your commonly used programs / tools. If you're comfortable enough to use it on the first 5-10 minutes. it should be good enough.

PS : Also check the application store (App Store / Play Store), make sure your commonly used programs there :D

To be exact, what are you going to do with your phone?

A bit of everything, but mainly a lot of video consumption (movies, TV shows and YouTube) as well as some web browsing and apps and games.

Good point, it is pretty limited which does make it easier to use. I just need to decide if I need the extra features that come with Android, or stick with the more basic iOS. 

If you are using alot of other Apple stuff then it makes sense to stay with iOS, if you like google stuff then Android makes alot of sense.

don't forget to try your commonly used programs / tools. If you're comfortable enough to use it on the first 5-10 minutes. it should be good enough.

PS : Also check the application store (App Store / Play Store), make sure your commonly used programs there :D

That's true, if it feels unusable right from the start then it probably isn't right for me. As for the Play Store it should be fine, as most of the apps I use are pretty common like Facebook and Snapchat...

If you are using alot of other Apple stuff then it makes sense to stay with iOS, if you like google stuff then Android makes alot of sense.

At the moment I don't have any other Apple products like computers. And iTunes is just really terrible, especially on Windows computers.

A bit of everything, but mainly a lot of video consumption (movies, TV shows and YouTube) as well as some web browsing and apps and games.

If you watch movies, TV shows, youtube more often, choose android phone

Android hands down over iOS for anything multimedia

1. Android's YouTube app is FAR SUPERIOR over iOS one

2. You can watch .mkv movies using VLC in android

3. If you listen to music as well, many high-end phones are equipped with internal dac (high quality one e.g: Samsung high-end phones have Wolfson dac) that allow them to decode and play .flac, these make a SIGNIFICANT difference of sound quality over conventional .mp3 and apple's .m4a (even if you listen with the headphone that usually comes with the phone)

For web browsing, apps and games iOS and Android are pretty much the same, your preference will decide whether to stick with Apple or Google's OS, so try to use one of the phones at a local store for a while before buying one

Scarlet KnightIntel Core i3 6100 || Antec A40 Pro CPU Cooler || MSI Z170A Gaming M5 || Kingston HyperX 16GB DDR4-2133MHz || Samsung 850 Evo 120GB || Seagate Barracuda 1TB || Gigabyte G1 Gaming R9 390X 8GB || Seasonic M12II 620W || In Win 503 || Corsair Strafe || Steelseries Kinzu V3 MSI Edition || Dell UltraSharp U2414H || Xiaomi Alumunium Mouse Pad (S)

#Gadget: 

Phone: BlackBerry Classic Q20, Samsung Galaxy Note 4 S-LTE SM-N916S

Console: PlayStation 4 500GB CUH-1206A

Tablet: iPad Air 2 16GB Wi-fi Only

Laptop: MSI GE62 (i7 4720HQ || 8GB DDR3 || NVIDIA GTX960M || Samsung 650 EVO 120GB + 1TB HDD)

In-ear Monitor: Xiaomi Piston 3.0

If you watch movies, TV shows, youtube more often, choose android phone

Android hands down over iOS for anything multimedia

1. Android's YouTube app is FAR SUPERIOR over iOS one

2. You can watch .mkv movies using VLC in android

3. If you listen to music as well, many high-end phones are equipped with internal dac (high quality one e.g: Samsung high-end phones have Wolfson dac) that allow them to decode and play .flac, these make a SIGNIFICANT difference of sound quality over conventional .mp3 and apple's .m4a (even if you listen with the headphone that usually comes with the phone)

For web browsing, apps and games iOS and Android are pretty much the same, your preference will decide whether to stick with Apple or Google's OS, so try to use one of the phones at a local store for a while before buying one

Yeah that is true. Actually just the other day I was having trouble watching a video on my iPhone because it was the wrong format. Also with iOS the only way to get music into the music app is to sync it with iTunes, whereas with Android you can download music from pretty much anywhere into the music app. I was wondering about audio quality on many of the Samsung phones but it seems they have pretty high end audio processing chips. At the moment it seems like Android is winning.

Having read all this I recommend you get some Android in you asap and well suck it up and accept change, you seem like you are a smart person and could learn to love android (I so love my OnePlus One its buttery smooth), and say goodbye to some of your issues and un install iTunes.

Having read all this I recommend you get some Android in you asap and well suck it up and accept change, you seem like you are a smart person and could learn to love android (I so love my OnePlus One its buttery smooth), and say goodbye to some of your issues and un install iTunes.

You're right! All these answers have made me realize that iOS actually has limited a lot of my options with video and music playback as well as customization. With Android I think it will make the user experience easier, because I will be able to use a wide range of video and audio formats and customize the phone a lot more.

I think this maybe the first thread I have seen on the net where Android vs iOS hasn't become a fanboy screaming match. Go community!

I think this maybe the first thread I have seen on the net where Android vs iOS hasn't become a fanboy screaming match. Go community!

Hahahaha I know right! It seems like the forum might actually be maturing...

Me and my considerably less tech-savvy dad switched from an iPhone 4 and a 5 (respectively) to 64GB OnePlus Ones and while there are some software bugs (that's CyanogenMod's fault, not Android), it's great and isn't any harder to use than iOS unless you want it to be. It functions pretty much the same (except for improvements like the lifesaving back Recent Apps buttons) out of the box, but instead of ALWAYS functioning like that, if you want to you can customize it to kingdom come.

"We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology." ~Carl Sagan

OnePlus One, 64GB Black, Rooted, Oxygen OS 1.0.0
Moto 360, Silver Finish with 22mm Cognac Leather Band, Pascual watchface
iPad with Retina Display (3rd Generation), 16GB, Black, Wifi Only

CPU: Intel i5-4690K CPU Cooler: Stock Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97N WIFI Mini ITX RAM: Kingston Savage 8GB 1866MHz SSD: Sandisk Ultra Plus 256GB HDD: WD Caviar Blue 1TB 7200RPM Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Black GPU: Intel HD Graphics 4600 PSU: Corsair RM450 OS:
Windows 7 Ultimate Windows 8.1 Pro for Students Monitor: Acer K242HL Bhid 1080p 24" Monitor Keyboard: Corsair Vengeance K70 Cherry MX Blue Mouse: Logitech T650

Hardware wise, Apple has the edge, but software wise, iOS isn't as refined as it used to be (but that's supposed to be addressed in iOS 9). Android imo isn't designed as well as I would like; ui elements aren't designed for one handed use (most things are placed on the left or top of the screen). However, right now Android is super light, animations are really basic so that it can run well on weak devices, just like windows. It comes down to what you prioritize, the ability I customize or being able to do the same things but faster on iOS.

Me and my considerably less tech-savvy dad switched from an iPhone 4 and a 5 (respectively) to 64GB OnePlus Ones and while there are some software bugs (that's CyanogenMod's fault, not Android), it's great and isn't any harder to use than iOS unless you want it to be. It functions pretty much the same (except for improvements like the lifesaving back Recent Apps buttons) out of the box, but instead of ALWAYS functioning like that, if you want to you can customize it to kingdom come.

That is very true, how long did it take for you to get used to Android?

Hardware wise, Apple has the edge, but software wise, iOS isn't as refined as it used to be (but that's supposed to be addressed in iOS 9). Android imo isn't designed as well as I would like; ui elements aren't designed for one handed use (most things are placed on the left or top of the screen). However, right now Android is super light, animations are really basic so that it can run well on weak devices, just like windows. It comes down to what you prioritize, the ability I customize or being able to do the same things but faster on iOS.

There are a lot of things that annoy me on iOS, but it really depends whether they are enough to make me switch to Android. I just have to decide if I need the extra features that come with Android.

There are a lot of things that annoy me on iOS, but it really depends whether they are enough to make me switch to Android. I just have to decide if I need the extra features that come with Android.

Well, in less than 3 months, we'll know if those annoyance will be fixed in iOS 9 :P.

Heyyo,

Meh, Sorry feeling lazy and didn't read every reply but I say? Android. Why? iOS updates RUIN any phone that isn't the latest-and-greatest.

My personal experience? iPhone 3Gs was a fantastic phone. Worked great for me and I loved that smartphone so naturally once the iPhone 4s came out? I got one. It was also a great smartphone... until I wanted to use an unlock code. I was forced to upgrade to iOS 7.0.2 in order to use my unlock code which is bull... and I avoided iOS 7.0.2 due to the many complaints of people on iPhone 4s phones with their phone becoming a lot slower and unlike Android? Apple doesn't let you downgrade operating system verions so I couldn't go back to my beloved iOS 6.1.3... that... and then trying out iOS 7.1 to see if it fixed the phone? My WiFi chip now only works for a minute before the phone thinks it's overheating and shuts it off!!! WTF!? She was fine before and now Apple just says hardware issue!? :(

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/5984942

and I quote...

It's sounds strange that a Software Update can Burn out a Hardware Component like the WiFi chip.

Needless to say? I rage quit Apple and will NEVER buy another Apple product EVER AGAIN! Android? I can unlock my bootloader and downgrade or upgrade to ANY version of Android. That and lollipop actually made my phone FASTER! Not slower unlike Apple! HTC One M7 is easily double the phone my iPhone 4s was and Android only keeps getting better and better. I bet once Vulcan (OpenGL's next generation 3D API) that games will only get better on Android.

an operating system update that can potentially fry your WiFi chip... dumbest mistake ever Apple.

I just ordered a OnePlus One on Tuesday btw. I'm freaking stoked. Uber customization Android phone ftw! :)

Heyyo,

My PC Build: https://pcpartpicker.com/b/sNPscf

My Android Phone: Exodus Android on my OnePlus One 64bit in Sandstone Black in a Ringke Fusion clear & slim protective case

Heyyo,

Meh, Sorry feeling lazy and didn't read every reply but I say? Android. Why? iOS updates RUIN any phone that isn't the latest-and-greatest.

My personal experience? iPhone 3Gs was a fantastic phone. Worked great for me and I loved that smartphone so naturally once the iPhone 4s came out? I got one. It was also a great smartphone... until I wanted to use an unlock code. I was forced to upgrade to iOS 7.0.2 in order to use my unlock code which is bull... and I avoided iOS 7.0.2 due to the many complaints of people on iPhone 4s phones with their phone becoming a lot slower and unlike Android? Apple doesn't let you downgrade operating system verions so I couldn't go back to my beloved iOS 6.1.3... that... and then trying out iOS 7.1 to see if it fixed the phone? My WiFi chip now only works for a minute before the phone thinks it's overheating and shuts it off!!! WTF!? She was fine before and now Apple just says hardware issue!? :(

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/5984942

and I quote...

Needless to say? I rage quit Apple and will NEVER buy another Apple product EVER AGAIN! Android? I can unlock my bootloader and downgrade or upgrade to ANY version of Android. That and lollipop actually made my phone FASTER! Not slower unlike Apple! HTC One M7 is easily double the phone my iPhone 4s was and Android only keeps getting better and better. I bet once Vulcan (OpenGL's next generation 3D API) that games will only get better on Android.

an operating system update that can potentially fry your WiFi chip... dumbest mistake ever Apple.

I just ordered a OnePlus One on Tuesday btw. I'm freaking stoked. Uber customization Android phone ftw! :)

Yeah, I going to agree with you on that one, Apple's software updates are terrible especially with the iOS 7 update where they were so selective about which devices could be updated and which would be stuck with the old software. Like the iPhone 4 could not be updated to iOS 7 and at the time the iPhone 4 was not even 3 years old, which meant all those people who only bought the phone a couple of years before the update couldn't download it, which was so stupid. And if you don't use the latest model of phone then most of the updates will lag out the phone, like the iPhone 4s with iOS 7 is pretty slow. How are you liking Android compared to iOS? Is it easier to use? How long did it take until you were used to Android?

Yeah, I going to agree with you on that one, Apple's software updates are terrible especially with the iOS 7 update where they were so selective about which devices could be updated and which would be stuck with the old software. Like the iPhone 4 could not be updated to iOS 7 and at the time the iPhone 4 was not even 3 years old, which meant all those people who only bought the phone a couple of years before the update couldn't download it, which was so stupid.

uhuhhhh the iPhone 4 debuted with iOS 4 and it got updates for 4 years (4, 5, 6, 7) until iOS 8 and the iPhone 6 came out.

uhuhhhh the iPhone 4 debuted with iOS 4 and it got updates for 4 years (4, 5, 6, 7) until iOS 8 and the iPhone 6 came out.

Oooops my mistake, but when the iPhone 4 got the iOS 7 update is was super slow, pretty much unusable.

Oooops my mistake, but when the iPhone 4 got the iOS 7 update is was super slow, pretty much unusable.

That's the trade off lol get more features and it won't perform as well or don't upgrade. Apple could had made everything much less graphically intense though but that's a matter of taste.

That's the trade off lol get more features and it won't perform as well or don't upgrade. Apple could had made everything much less graphically intense though but that's a matter of taste.

Well if Apple phones weren't so under powered in the first place then the update probably would have worked fine.

Well if Apple phones weren't so under powered in the first place then the update probably would have worked fine.

lol, ok, I'm done here....

its on! lol jk..

I have a xperia z1  and before i landed on it i had a xperia z first smart phones,lollipop i tried and didn't like at the end was using cyanogenmod, right now from yesterday back on kitkat  "ihackers rom Aroma Version" and am loving it the set up the toys its like a hole new phone and the battery saving is lovely its like it suspends it in time lol "with all battery saving features on"... my friends have iphones they love them thats about it ..

edit : Whatever u can do on a andriod an iphone can do as well but with andriod you can do things that iphones cannot

Edited by poopcorn

edit : Whatever u can do on a andriod an iphone can do as well but with andriod can do things that iphones cannot

Let me phrase that better for you: "Whatever you can do on iOS, you can do on Android." :P