OC 4770K HELPE ME

I know theirs so much on this and I know somewhat how to over clock! I could run 4.2Ghz at 1.18v (manual) with no issue then when I try to get 4.4Ghz, I blue screen. Im stable at 1.325V (manual) but then my highest temp is 91C which is way to high! I tried 1.31V and everything but it doesnt to be stable under 1.325V. Not only that when at 4.4Ghz at 1.325V my higest temp is 91C and my last core is 76C which is 15C difference!! sounds high to me!! I would appreciate any help or advice on how to get it stable or maybe lower my temps? I know I most likely fell in the category where the chips cant push further then 4.3 but I dont want to give up just yet!!

Intel I7 4770K

Corsair H105 Push/pull Config

Corsair RM 750

Asus Maximus Formula VI

Gskill TridentX 16Gb 2400Mhz ( at auto, to achieve higher cpu speeds)

Asus Gtx 970

Corsair Air 540

It would really suck if I got a bad chip!!  :(

Thanks in advance Nick

Check the fitting of your cooler and your Thermal compound.  It is possible you just lost the Silicone lottery bad.  But check those things first. 

Tell my tale to those who ask. Tell it truly; the ill deeds along with the good, and let me be judged accordingly.

Try disabling Intel Vdroop, and the integrated graphics.  You are most likely hitting your limit due to temps, chips are more stable and overclock better at lower temps.  I would consider a better cooling solution such as a custom loop with more radiators and higher rpm fans.  Also you may have simply gotten unlucky with your cpu and it dosnt happen to overclock very well.  I had a bad overclocking 2011 chip that I "broke" and RMAed it and got a better one.  (not saying you should do that....its just what I did) as Intel has a no questions asked 3 year warranty that u can do online.

What thermal compound should i use? I have the thermal paste that came stock with the h105! Let me know Thx

What is vdroop? And how do i disable intel graphics

thx Nick

snip!

start by following this guide carefully and take your time if you want a successful overclock, if you have any particular question feel free to ask.

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/41234-intel-haswell-4670k-4770k-overclocking-guide/

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

I have an h100i on my 4770k and at 4.5 i push 1.28 but 4.6 reqs 1.37, and 4.7 reqs 1.38, does anyone know why there is such a jump between 4.5 and 4.6 but almost no jump between 4.6 and 4.7

I have an h100i on my 4770k and at 4.5 i push 1.28 but 4.6 reqs 1.37, and 4.7 reqs 1.38, does anyone know why there is such a jump between 4.5 and 4.6 but almost no jump between 4.6 and 4.7

Luck of the draw on silicon basically. Every chip is different. My 4670K has so far managed to hit 4.5 @1.2 stable and only hits 63C. Other 4670K's might only hit 4.2.

CPU binning is an age-old practise. Phenom X3's were just X4's binned with a dead core for example.

The New Machine: Intel 11700K / Strix Z590-A WIFI II / Patriot Viper Steel 4400MHz 2x8GB / Gigabyte RTX 3080 Gaming OC w/ Bykski WB / x4 1TB SSDs (x2 M.2, x2 2.5) / Corsair 5000D Airflow White / EVGA G6 1000W / Custom Loop CPU & GPU

The Rainbow X58: i7 975 Extreme Edition @4.2GHz, Asus Sabertooth X58, 6x2GB Mushkin Redline DDR3-1600 @2000MHz, SP 256GB Gen3 M.2 w/ Sabrent M.2 to PCI-E, Inno3D GTX 580 x2 SLI w/ Heatkiller waterblocks, Custom loop in NZXT Phantom White, Corsair XR7 360 rad hanging off the rear end, 360 slim rad up top. RGB everywhere.

i would try:

1. lowering cache multi to 39x

2. increasing input voltage to 1.8v or 1.85v

3. increasing cache voltage to 1.15v

4. keep your memory at 1600mhz for the time testing max oc

see if that helps you lower your vcore to 1.3 or even lower and keep the pc stable

i have mine @4,7ghz cache x39 vcore 1.285 inputvoltage 1.83 cache voltage 1.16 (memory at xmp 2400cl9)

@4.5 i have vcore 1.2v rest auto

i7 4770K 4.7 Ghz (1.285vCore, CORSAIR H110) - GIGABYTE G1 SNIPER M5 - MSI GTX 780 (Arctic Hybrid watercooled)- G.SKILL 16gb 2133Mhz cl9 - SAMSUNG 840 PRO 256gb - CORSAIR 350D - CORSAIR RM 750W

LENOVO Y500 i7 3630qm 3.4 Ghz, GTX 650M SLI, 8gb 1600Mhz, WD 1tb, Cooler Master U2

BUILD LOG: https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/26468-finished-350d-mini-gigabyte-killer-blackgreen/

Nothing wants to work!!! Im just going to keep my cpu at 4.2Ghz at 1.17V. Do you guys know if i could send back the cpu?

Generally the higher u push cpus the jumps in voltage become much greater.  3.6 to 4.4Ghz is .1Ghz volts increase. 4.4Ghz to 5Ghz is .4 volts increase on my i7 3820.

Nothing wants to work!!! Im just going to keep my cpu at 4.2Ghz at 1.17V. Do you guys know if i could send back the cpu?

Not because it wont overclock.  Also intel vdroop can be disabled in the bios aswell as the ingerated graphics.  Maybe u should flash your bios if u havnt.  It may improve overclocking on your cpu.  Also be sure not to leave your memory at auto as the frequency may change when u overclock your cpu.  Make sure u set it no higher then 100mhz over the stock memory frequency.

Also like I said earlier, an H100i may not be enough to keep  your cpu cool enough under load.  If your hitting anywhere in the 80s your over the limit.  CPUs overclock much better when they can be kept at a much lower temperature.  Below 60C is usually good.

Not because it wont overclock.  Also intel vdroop can be disabled in the bios aswell as the ingerated graphics.  Maybe u should flash your bios if u havnt.  It may improve overclocking on your cpu.  Also be sure not to leave your memory at auto as the frequency may change when u overclock your cpu.  Make sure u set it no higher then 100mhz over the stock memory frequency.

Also like I said earlier, an H100i may not be enough to keep  your cpu cool enough under load.  If your hitting anywhere in the 80s your over the limit.  CPUs overclock much better when they can be kept at a much lower temperature.  Below 60C is usually good.

Better then my H105 would be a custom loop which is a lot of money and very time consuming! and at 4.2ghz my temps are around 73 on my hottest core!

Sounds like classic TIM issues on the Haswell's. Either live with the voltage and multiplier, or you can delid the chip to get T max to an acceptable level with your wanted OC.

All the non-Devil's Canyon Haswell's I've had experienced this same problem until they were delidded w/CLU.

LanSyndicate Build | i5-6600k | ASRock OC Formula | G.Skill 3600MHz | Samsung 850 Evo | MSI R9-290X 8GB Alphacool Block | Enthoo Pro M | XTR Pro 750w | Custom Loop |

Daily | 5960X | X99 Sabertooth | G.Skill 3000MHz | 750 NVMe | 850 Evo | x2 WD Se 2TB | x2 Seagate 3TB | Sapphire R9-290X 8GB | Enthoo Primo | EVGA 1000G2 | Custom Loop |

Game Box | 4690K | Z97i-Plus | G.Skill 2400MHz | x2 840 Evo | GTX 970 shorty | Corsair 250D modded with H105 | EVGA 650w B2 |

Better then my H105 would be a custom loop which is a lot of money and very time consuming! and at 4.2ghz my temps are around 73 on my hottest core!

a custom loop is expensive, but not very time consuming.  I did my first loop in just a few hours on Christmas day.  Plus once u have your loop setup its easy to add to it.

Sounds like classic TIM issues on the Haswell's. Either live with the voltage and multiplier, or you can delid the chip to get T max to an acceptable level with your wanted OC.

All the non-Devil's Canyon Haswell's I've had experienced this same problem until they were delidded w/CLU.

Is it hard to delid a cpu? I've done some research on it but many people say its not worth it? let me know with more detail thank Nick

Is it hard to delid a cpu? I've done some research on it but many people say its not worth it? let me know with more detail thank Nick

it's hard, risky and not worth it.

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

a custom loop is expensive, but not very time consuming.  I did my first loop in just a few hours on Christmas day.  Plus once u have your loop setup its easy to add to it.

How much would it cost to just cool my cpu? good components?

How much would it cost to just cool my cpu? good components?

if you want to just cool down your CPU just get an all in one CPU cooling unit...something like the corsair H100i for example...i use this one:

http://www.ncixus.com/products/?usaffiliateid=1000031504&sku=100817&vpn=0R100018&manufacture=Raijintek

I suggest a 240mm rad...the 120mm rad units are just not enough (like the H80i for example...a big tower heatsink perform better than this)

The raijintek triton is an expandable unit...which means it use industry standard fittings through out...which means you could add your GPU in the loop down the road for example.

You can also dye the liquid the colour you want (3 colors provided : Blue, red and green) you can also flush it and redo it as much as you want...which is something not many cooler allow.

EDIT: lol nevermind you already own one ...my bad.

A custom loop is useful when you want to cool your CPU and GPU...not much point in doing it only for your CPU you will achieve the same results as you would with your AIO.

if you want to just cool down your CPU just get an all in one CPU cooling unit...something like the corsair H100i for example...i use this one:

http://www.ncixus.com/products/?usaffiliateid=1000031504&sku=100817&vpn=0R100018&manufacture=Raijintek

I suggest a 240mm rad...the 120mm rad units are just not enough (like the H80i for example...a big tower heatsink perform better than this)

The raijintek triton is an expandable unit...which means it use industry standard fittings through out...which means you could add your GPU in the loop down the road for example.

You can also dye the liquid the colour you want (3 colors provided : Blue, red and green) you can also flush it and redo it as much as you want...which is something not many cooler allow.

EDIT: lol nevermind you already own one ...my bad.

A custom loop is useful when you want to cool your CPU and GPU...not much point in doing it only for your CPU you will achieve the same results as you would with your AIO.

why are people saying you get better cooling results with the custom loop?

why are people saying you get better cooling results with the custom loop?

it can be if you have higher volume of fluid in the loop then in a typical AIO...if you have a big reservoir and a big rad you get better temps...the bigger the volume of liquid and surface area (rad size) the lower the temps.

with a costom loop u can put as many rads as u have space for, also generally u have more liquid in the loop which takes longer to reach max temperature.

with a costom loop u can put as many rads as u have space for, also generally u have more liquid in the loop which takes longer to reach max temperature.

ok this all makes sense so what parts do you suggest considering I have an air 540 and only want to cool my cpu! I want very low temps and preferably red tubing with distilled water!

it can be if you have higher volume of fluid in the loop then in a typical AIO...if you have a big reservoir and a big rad you get better temps...the bigger the volume of liquid and surface area (rad size) the lower the temps.

Would you know a parts list and a ball park price?

Change vrin to 1.9v

Core I7 5960X / Gigabyte X99 SOC Force / Kingston 16GB DDR4 3000 / EVGA GTX 980 Classified's In Quad SLI / EVGA 1600W G2

Core I7 6700K / Asus Z170 Maximus VIII Hero / Corsair 16GB DDR4 3000 / MSI R9 290X Lightning / EVGA 1600W T2