How much power supply do I need?

lol1290

Hi,

I need some help with choosing the right power supply, because I am building a new PC.
Will a 620W power supply be enough for this build, or should I get a 750W?

I am choosing between this two:

620W:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151096

750W:

http://www.corsair.com/en/cx-series-cx750m-modular-atx-power-supply-750-watt-80-plus-bronze-certified-modular-psu

CPU: i5 4690k
GPU: Gigabyte gtx 970 g1 gaming
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97X-SLI
CPU COOLER: Hyper 212 evo
RAM: G.SKill Ripjaws X 8GB(2x4) 1600Mhz
HDD: WD 1TB Blue

NOTE: I am planning to overclock the CPU to about 3.8 Ghz

Thank you all for such a fast reply! :D

So I went to the Cooler-Masters power supply calculator, and the result was 372W,

but I don't get, why it's only 371W, if on NVIDIA's website says, that you have to have minimum 450W power supply for gtx 970??

So I went to the Cooler-Masters power supply calculator, and the result was 372W,

but I don't get, why it's only 371W, if on NVIDIA's website says, that you have to have minimum 450W power supply for gtx 970??

Because it's always nice to have headroom.

Actually, NVIDIA states that the minimum is 500w, but even so, you don't. The 500w minimum is the recommendation for the entire system. That minimum that take account for PSUs of various of qualities and various of different setups. A system with an i3 or a system with an i7-5830k Hexcore? A 500w PSU that is rated at peak or continuous?

Anyways, I would recommend that XFX XTR. It's a better build PSU.

Ok, so thank you for the explanation,

I will go with the Seasonic 620W because its cheaper.

Anyone knows how much exactly FPS will I get on ultra 1080p with my build? (like on Witcher 3)

Oh? Where are you buying from?

Depends on if you want to SLI or not. If you want to SLI go with the bigger PSU.

It's cheaper compared to the Corsairs 750W.

BTW I live in europe so I am ordering parts from Mindfactory.de, because its the cheapest european site with hardware (from what I found).

But comparing with Newegg its wayyyyyy more expensive. If i would live in USA I could add a samsung 840 evo, i7 4790k and 16 gb ram for the same budget. (1000euro)

Or I am just dumb and I can't find cheaper parts... ^_^

Ok, so thank you for the explanation,

Anyone knows how much exactly FPS will I get on ultra 1080p with my build? (like on Witcher 3)

with 4690k and GTX 970 on 1080p, you will play all current games at ultra like a boss! :)

with 4690k and GTX 970 on 1080p, you will play all current games at ultra like a boss! :)

Nice!!

I would go with the 720w one since it offers headroom for future upgrade's

For future upgrades I am planning to buy 16gb ram,

and

-another gtx 970 for SLI

or

-i7 4790k

I don't know which option is better (gtx 970 or i7)

Will I need to buy new, bigger PSU for another 970?

Nice!!

For future upgrades I am planning to buy 16gb ram,

and

-another gtx 970 for SLI

or

-i7 4790k

I don't know which option is better (gtx 970 or i7)

Yes definitely and that's why i suggested the 750w.

If you want to SLI a second 970 in later, you should go with a 750, you'll save money in the long run. :)

It's cheaper compared to the Corsairs 750W.

BTW I live in europe so I am ordering parts from Mindfactory.de, because its the cheapest european site with hardware (from what I found).

But comparing with Newegg its wayyyyyy more expensive. If i would live in USA I could add a samsung 840 evo, i7 4790k and 16 gb ram for the same budget. (1000euro)

Or I am just dumb and I can't find cheaper parts... ^_^

Oh ok. I thought you may be from the US, as you posted a Newegg link.

Seasonic S12II Bronze 620w - €73.74 : http://www.mindfactory.de/product_info.php/620-Watt-Seasonic-S12II-Bronze-Non-Modular-80--Bronze_638249.html

XFX Core Edition 550w - € 59.26 : http://www.mindfactory.de/product_info.php/550-Watt-XFX-Pro-Core-Edition-Non-Modular-80--Bronze_729911.html

It's the same unit internally as the Seasonic S12II but under the XFX branding. The retail Seasonic S12II-B unit is overpriced, so I would suggest getting the XFX instead.

However...

Yes, I would suggest getting a quality 650w at the least. The Fractal Design Integra M 650w would be able to power it for € 71.01 : http://www.mindfactory.de/product_info.php/650-Watt-Fractal-Integra-M-Modular-80--Bronze_976225.html

Or the EVGA Supernova 750w B2 if you want a higher wattage unit for some more leeway: http://www.mindfactory.de/product_info.php/750-Watt-EVGA-SuperNOVA-B2-Modular-80--Bronze_971657.html

Thank you all for replying,

I will go with the corsair cx750m, because I'm planning to use this computer for about 4+ years, and I will be definitely upgrading it...

Or the EVGA Supernova 750w B2 if you want a higher wattage unit for some more leeway: http://www.mindfactory.de/product_info.php/750-Watt-EVGA-SuperNOVA-B2-Modular-80--Bronze_971657.html

The EVGA Supernova a little more expensive than corsair :rolleyes: , but I think the quality it's the same.

The EVGA Supernova a little more expensive than corsair :rolleyes: , but I think the quality it's the same.

I'm aware, but...

The Corsair CX750M is rated for 30C, has Chinese secondary caps from CapXon, a sleeved bearing fan, and a 3 year warranty.

The EVGA Supernova 750w B2 is rated for 50C, full Japanese caps, 2BB fan, and a 5 year warranty. It can also do silver efficiency, even though it's rated for Bronze.

The 30C means that it is capable of output 750w @ 30C but unable to do so @ 50C like the B2 can. Since the B2 is only €2 more, it definitely a better purchase than the CX750M.

Edit: Here's a review on the both of them:

750 B2: http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story&reid=393

CX750M: http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story&reid=416

Damn you know a lot about PSUs, you shore deserve ''trusted advisor'' ;)

I was just asking myself what does B2 mean....

And I didn't know what 30C means or what secondary caps are...and what is 2BB fan?

So...I should definitely get the EVGA model? And its ATX and the same size as the Seasonic right?

Damn you know a lot about PSUs, you shore deserve ''trusted advisor'' ;)

I was just asking myself what does B2 mean....

And I didn't know what 30C means or what secondary caps are...and what is 2BB fan?

So...I should definitely get the EVGA model? And its ATX and the same size as the Seasonic right?

Sorry for the delay in my reply. Since I basically stayed up the entire night, I headed right off to bed after making that reply.

2nd generation Bronze series = B2, maybe? It's just a model, that EVGA uses to distinguish their line ups.

30C referred to the temperature that it is rated for. Power supplies derates / loses it capacity of what it can supply as the temperature goes up. I was trying to say that the EVGA B2 is build to handle at operating in a higher temperature. Secondary capacitors are responsible to smoothed out unwanted electrical ripples from what it is outputting. The ones in the B2 are of higher quality and will have a longer lifespan. 2BB is short double ball bearing fan.

To put it simply, the EVGA Supernova B2 is a better build unit than the Corsair CX, and you should indeed get EVGA over it. All of the PSUs mentioned thus far are ATX PSUs and have the same mounting points. The B2 is depth of the PSU is longer though (180mm), so it's a matter of how much space there is from the back of the case to the HDD cage.

Ok, really thank you for replying so much, I learned a lot from you (-&

I will take a littlebit of search around other power supplyes,

and another thing, the EVGA model is 2cm longer than the Corsairs, I will be installing the PSU in the Corsair 200r, do you think I will be running in any cable managment or any other issues because its too long?

And is the EVGA PSU to high (will it touch the ATX motherboard, that will be right above it?

(BTW sorry for bad english, i make some mistakes in some words (-; )