How to check an computers overclocking capability?

How to check an old computers overclocking capability?  Is there any good programs for that, and is there a good program for automatic overclocking of old and new computers ? Thank you for your help. 

How to check an old computers overclocking capability?  Is there any good programs for that, and is there a good program for automatic overclocking of old and new computers ? Thank you for your help. 

The only way to see is to overclock it.

And automatic is usually based on the mobo. Asus has AI suite and there are more that I can't remember.

The projects never end in my line of work.

CPU: Dual Xeon E5-2650v2 || GPU: Dual Quadro K5000 || Motherboard: Asus Z9PE-D8 || RAM: 64GB Corsair Vengeance || Monitors: Dual LG 34UM95, NEC MultiSync EA244UHD || Storage: Dual Samsung 850 Pro 256GB in Raid 0, 6x WD Re 4TB in Raid 1 || Sound: Xonar Essense STX (Mainly for Troubleshooting and listening test) || PSU: Corsair Ax1500i

CPU: Core i7 5820k @ 4.7GHz || GPU: Dual Titan X || Motherboard: Asus X99 Deluxe || RAM: 32GB Crucial Ballistix Sport || Monitors: MX299Q, 29UB65, LG 34UM95 || Storage: Dual Samsung 850 EVO 1 TB in Raid 0, Samsung 850 EVO 250GB, 2TB Toshiba scratch disk, 3TB Seagate Barracuda || PSU: EVGA 1000w PS Platinum

or look up the hardware specs i guess

CPU: Intel i5-2400 Mobo: ASUS Maximus IV Gene-Z RAM: 8GB G.Skill DDR3 1333MHz GPU: Sapphire R9 280x Tri-X Case Corsair Obsidian Series 350D PSU: EVGA 500w 80+ Certified

What if something burns out? there must be a good program for checking.

And automatic is usually based on the mobo. Asus has AI suite and there are more that I can't remember.

Is there a good tutorial for overlocking manualy? 

What if something burns out? there must be a good program for checking.

It won't burn out unless you're pushing 2 volts on it or something ridiculous.

The only way to find out is to increase clock and voltage little by little (and I mean tiny amounts on voltage), and see where it can't go further.

CPU: Dual Xeon E5-2650v2 || GPU: Dual Quadro K5000 || Motherboard: Asus Z9PE-D8 || RAM: 64GB Corsair Vengeance || Monitors: Dual LG 34UM95, NEC MultiSync EA244UHD || Storage: Dual Samsung 850 Pro 256GB in Raid 0, 6x WD Re 4TB in Raid 1 || Sound: Xonar Essense STX (Mainly for Troubleshooting and listening test) || PSU: Corsair Ax1500i

CPU: Core i7 5820k @ 4.7GHz || GPU: Dual Titan X || Motherboard: Asus X99 Deluxe || RAM: 32GB Crucial Ballistix Sport || Monitors: MX299Q, 29UB65, LG 34UM95 || Storage: Dual Samsung 850 EVO 1 TB in Raid 0, Samsung 850 EVO 250GB, 2TB Toshiba scratch disk, 3TB Seagate Barracuda || PSU: EVGA 1000w PS Platinum

Overclock it? :P

Every chip is different 

What happens if you overclock it too much ? Does it burn out? I stil need it :D 

It won't burn out unless you're pushing 2 volts on it or something ridiculous.

The only way to find out is to increase clock and voltage little by little (and I mean tiny amounts on voltage), and see where it can't go further.

How do you see when it is enough ? 

It won't boot generally, or you get artifacting/glitches and high temperatures

How do you see when it is enough ? 

When it blue screens.

It won't boot generally, or you get artifacting/glitches and high temperatures

Usually it won't boot or if it does it'll artifact or be unstable. However there is a possibility of physically damaging your chip or your VRMs

Desktop: Intel Core i5 2380P (2400 w/o iGPU), MSI H61, 8GB RAM, 256GB SP610, 500GB WD Blue, HIS R9 280, Antec TruePower Classic 550W, Inwin MANA 134, QNIX QX2710, CM QuickFire Rapid, Logitech G402

Laptop: Toshiba Satellite L40D, AMD A6-6310, 6GB RAM, 500GB HDD, Radeon R4 Graphics, 14" 1366x768

Phone: iPhone 6 Space Gray 64GB, T-Mobile $60/mo 3GB plan

Usually it won't boot or if it does it'll artifact or be unstable. However there is a possibility of physically damaging your chip or your VRMs

Only if OP decided to bump his voltage by .5v every time ;)

Fortunately its a fairly small chance

Look up overlocks for your chip and find someone who has a stable OC with voltage below 1.4v

Most OC's should have a much lower voltage anyways, but say for a Pentium G3258 for example, 4.0Ghz at 1.3v is considered a fairly safe and decent overclock 

Some chips go higher, and some cant

Here's a good guide, that applies to more CPU's than just that pentium 

http://www.overclockersclub.com/guides/intel_pentium_g3258_oc_guide/

What are you specs cause that's the only way we can help you out!

Processor Intel® Core i7-2630QM CPU @ 2.00GHz Memory (RAM) 4,00 GB Graphics Intel® HD Graphics Family , Nvidia Geforce 540M Gaming graphics 1696 MB Total available graphics memory

its a laptop  

Manufacturer TOSHIBA   Model SATELLITE P770

Processor Intel® Core i7-2630QM CPU @ 2.00GHz Memory (RAM) 4,00 GB Graphics Intel® HD Graphics Family , Nvidia Geforce 540M Gaming graphics 1696 MB Total available graphics memory

its a laptop  

OKAY. Stop. Do not overclock a mobile chip. That laptop doesn't have the cooling to handle it. Most don't, save for the giants of gaming laptops.

Overclocking a laptop is bound to end in tears, or grill-class heat from the exhaust. Sure, if it's an old laptop, go for broke and have some fun, but since you stated you might still need it...

Spoiler

CPU:Intel Xeon X5660 @ 4.2 GHz RAM:6x2 GB 1600MHz DDR3 MB:Asus P6T Deluxe GPU:Asus GTX 660 TI OC Cooler:Akasa Nero 3

SSD:OCZ Vertex 3 120 GB HDD:2x640 GB WD Black Fans:2xCorsair AF 120 PSU:Seasonic 450 W 80+ Case:Thermaltake Xaser VI MX OS:Windows 10
Speakers:Altec Lansing MX5021 Keyboard:Razer Blackwidow 2013 Mouse:Logitech MX Master Monitor:Dell U2412M Headphones: Logitech G430

Big thanks to Damikiller37 for making me an awesome Intel 4004 out of trixels!

The best way to do it, as i have, it open it up, take the heat sink off, put the cpu in direct sunlight, overclock it a buttload, and watch it explode /s no seriously don't do this if you want to continue using it, but if you don't i seriously recommend doing this with saftey glasses

its a laptop  

AAH!! WHAT ARE YOU, CRAZY?! (Well, I am too...)

OCing laptop anythings is a bad idea, as it'll suck your battery dry, and cooling is insufficient to do jack and will burn your lap off

Follow the topics you create using the "Follow" button in the top right corner!

One day I will have my GTX 970. One day. PC specs are at my profile.

Not sure how to check what part works with what? Check out my compatibility guide!

OKAY. Stop. Do not overclock a mobile chip. That laptop doesn't have the cooling to handle it. Most don't, save for the giants of gaming laptops.

what about my old pc , AMD Athlon 64 Processor 3000+ 1,81 GHz

2 GB ram

32 bit windows

NVIDIA GeForce 9500 GT 

Gaming Graphics 1791 mb total available?

AAH!! WHAT ARE YOU, CRAZY?! (Well, I am too...)

OCing laptop anythings is a bad idea, as it'll suck your battery dry, and cooling is insufficient to do jack and will burn your lap off

Im new to overclocking so good to have you guys here. Look at my old pc specs and give a suggestion please.

2 GB ram

32 bit windows

NVIDIA GeForce 9500 GT 

You should be able to OC that but ONLY if you are running a better cooler and NOT the stock cooler. Although my guess is that it won't matter too much since it's so old. 

2 GB ram

32 bit windows

NVIDIA GeForce 9500 GT 

I wouldn't even bother... at that age it's probably not even worth the effort.