Windows boot drive?

Cactu

how do I make a flash drive into a windows 8.1 boot drive. I've seen the link on microsofts website and it doesn't work on macs which are the only computers that I have off hand atm. Please help

how do I make a flash drive into a windows 8.1 boot drive. I've seen the link on microsofts website and it doesn't work on macs which are the only computers that I have off hand atm. Please help

You need the Windows 8.1 iso that can be retrieved from Microsoft (http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/upgrade-product-key-only) just plug in a USB flash drive (clear everything off of it) and let the program do its thing. NOTE: You need a product key for this to work,

Numbre

You need the Windows 8.1 iso that can be retrieved from Microsoft (http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/upgrade-product-key-only) just plug in a USB flash drive (clear everything off of it) and let the program do its thing. NOTE: You need a product key for this to work,

You see, I need to make a bootable flash drive for the PC that I am building. This says,"make sure you are on the computer that you want to install windows on" I can't do that without an OS

EDIT: the below method works with any windows 7+ ISO that you use.

This may work, depending on which version of win8.1 you've got a key for

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-AU/windows-8/create-reset-refresh-media

This: http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/windows-usb-dvd-download-tool

I know it says windows 7, but it works with windows 8,8.1, and 10 TP, which i have just used it for.

Also, you'll need the windows 8.1 ISO image, you can get that from microsoft as well. Google it.

CPU: Intel I5-4690k (stock) Motherboard: Asus B85 Pro gamer RAM: 2x4 - GB Avexir kit (xmp is not enabled) GPU: XFX R9 280X DD Case: Coolermaster Storm Enforcer Storage: Samsung 850 EVO 250GB, Seagate Barracuda 1TB, WD 250GB PSU: Thermaltake Smartpower 750w Monitor: BenQ RL2455HM Cooling: 200mm front intake, 200mm top exhaust, 200mm rear exhaust Keyboard: Corsair Vengeance K70 Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Core Sound: Kingston HyperX Clouds and Logitech Speakers Operating System: Windows 10 64bit

I find that this works best, I've even used it with the Win 10 tech preview with no hassles.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

EDIT: the below method works with any windows 7+ ISO that you use.

This may work, depending on which version of win8.1 you've got a key for

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-AU/windows-8/create-reset-refresh-media

This: http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/windows-usb-dvd-download-tool

I know it says windows 7, but it works with windows 8,8.1, and 10 TP, which i have just used it for.

Also, you'll need the windows 8.1 ISO image, you can get that from microsoft as well. Google it.

I cAnt find the windows 8 ISO, can I get a link

I find that this works best, I've even used it with the Win 10 tech preview with no hassles.

How could I get a test copy of windows 10 and would you recommend it

I cAnt find the windows 8 ISO, can I get a link

See the edit in my above comment:

Also, how far did you look?

uxHQKQy.png

CPU: Intel I5-4690k (stock) Motherboard: Asus B85 Pro gamer RAM: 2x4 - GB Avexir kit (xmp is not enabled) GPU: XFX R9 280X DD Case: Coolermaster Storm Enforcer Storage: Samsung 850 EVO 250GB, Seagate Barracuda 1TB, WD 250GB PSU: Thermaltake Smartpower 750w Monitor: BenQ RL2455HM Cooling: 200mm front intake, 200mm top exhaust, 200mm rear exhaust Keyboard: Corsair Vengeance K70 Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Core Sound: Kingston HyperX Clouds and Logitech Speakers Operating System: Windows 10 64bit

How could I get a test copy of windows 10 and would you recommend it

Don't use win10 unless you want to test it.

And again, Googling is great, you should try it.

See the edit in my above comment:

Also, how far did you look?

uxHQKQy.png

I've been on that link and I just gives me an exe that creates a zip file which creates an identical exe. Is there a tutorial somewhere?

I've been on that link and I just gives me an exe that creates a zip file which creates an identical exe. Is there a tutorial somewhere?

You're using it wrong then.

Its literally that easy. Plug in a USB (8GB+), and go through the steps. At the end, you'll have a USB that you can boot into (restart, choose USB as boot device in BIOS, then go through installation, and install onto whatever hard drive you want to)

I don't recommend third party windows ISOs, you can never be sure what's going on.

WBd67Dx.png

@thorpj this is not how it works for me , I will just refer to the user above you

@thorpj this is not how it works for me , I will just refer to the user above you

... Let me remind you: "I don't recommend third party windows ISOs, you can never be sure what's going on." You are instantly compromising the security of your system.

go to http://windows.microsoft.com/en-AU/windows-8/create-reset-refresh-media, download, and go through it. It will skip the step of putting an ISO onto the USB and making it bootable: it does it for you.

If that's not how it works for you, then you have a different version, because there can be no other explanation.

You're using it wrong then.

Its literally that easy. Plug in a USB (8GB+), and go through the steps. At the end, you'll have a USB that you can boot into (restart, choose USB as boot device in BIOS, then go through installation, and install onto whatever hard drive you want to)

I don't recommend third party windows ISOs, you can never be sure what's going on.

WBd67Dx.png

Ok there I think that problem is happening because I am on a Mac so how could I just download an iso. Is there anyone who has a reliable one and put it on google drive or something?

Ok there I think that problem is happening because I am on a Mac so how could I just download an iso. Is there anyone who has a reliable one and put it on google drive or something?

its an exe file, which only works on windows. your didn't need to open a new thread for a question that takes 5 seconds of googling.

If you'd like a full and comprehensive guide to installing Windows look here:

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/324871-guide-how-to-install-windows-the-right-way/#entry4412493

Please spend as much time writing your question, as you want me to spend responding to it.  Take some time, and explain your issue, please!

Spoiler

If you need to learn how to install Windows, check here:  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/324871-guide-how-to-install-windows-the-right-way/

Event Viewer 101: https://youtu.be/GiF9N3fJbnE