Desktop Icon Organizer

Go to solution Solved by Shan-Dysigns,

IconRestorer

http://fsl.sytes.net/iconrestorer.html

This is what I use. I used to have the same problem with my icons getting reset for various reasons. This program has saved me several headaches.

I really like having my desktop icons organized so I know where everything is. I usually have all my icons hidden and I have a macro on my mouse so they can show when I need them.

But I really hate when I update my Nvidia drivers or change resolution for any reason all my icons get re-arranged randomly and I have to organize all of them again. It has gotten extremely annoying.

Is there a program or way I can have all my icons saved where they are so if for any reason they get moved I can restore them to there previous location?

Spoiler

-

CPU:Ryzen 9 5900X GPU: Asus GTX 1080ti Strix MB: Asus Crosshair Viii Hero RAM: G.Skill Trident Neo CPU Cooler: Corsair H110

Ever try hiding your icons, updating, then un-hiding them? Just a thought. No idea if it would work but I have the same issue you do and always forget to try it. 

I ended up just putting them into a few different folders but I prefer having them all on my desktop. 

Ever try hiding your icons, updating, then un-hiding them? Just a thought. No idea if it would work but I have the same issue you do and always forget to try it. 

I ended up just putting them into a few different folders but I prefer having them all on my desktop. 

I have tried that and after I unhide them they are still moved like if they were never hidden.

Having them in folders would be nice too but I just don;t want to add more clicks to open up a program or a game.

Spoiler

-

CPU:Ryzen 9 5900X GPU: Asus GTX 1080ti Strix MB: Asus Crosshair Viii Hero RAM: G.Skill Trident Neo CPU Cooler: Corsair H110

IconRestorer

This is what I use. I used to have the same problem with my icons getting reset for various reasons. This program has saved me several headaches.

I am going to prematurely say thank you very much in hopes that this works for me.  ;)

IconRestorer

Will it work with Windows 8.1? I see it works with Windows 7 and I know most of what works with 7 will work with 8. just making sure.

Spoiler

-

I use fences. When the resolution changes the stuff in the fences stays the same. It's a nice program in general that I highly recommend.

I am going to prematurely say thank you very much in hopes that this works for me.  ;)

I have never had a problem. This software works by saving the coordinates of your icons based upon your current resolution and wallpaper. You can create "snapshots" for different layouts (I would imaging you can even create different layouts per resolution). You will just have to tinker with it.

Will it work with Windows 8.1? I see it works with Windows 7 and I know most of what works with 7 will work with 8. just making sure.

I wouldn't think it would work with 8.1 - those tiles are different than static icons, but you will have to read the specs because they may have updated their software since I started using it.

I use fences. When the resolution changes the stuff in the fences stays the same. It's a nice program in general that I highly recommend.

Yes, Stardock has MANY interesting add-ons.

I have never had a problem. This software works by saving the coordinates of your icons based upon your current resolution and wallpaper. You can create "snapshots" for different layouts (I would imaging you can even create different layouts per resolution). You will just have to tinker with it.

I wouldn't think it would work with 8.1 - those tiles are different than static icons, but you will have to read the specs because they may have updated their software since I started using it.

Okay So I was messing around with it for a bit and it works great. If I do move around all my icons it sometimes doesn't move 1 or 2 back when I click restore but I think that might be a Windows 8 compatibility issue like you said. Either way I use this from now on. Thanks alot! ^_^  

Spoiler

-

Okay So I was messing around with it for a bit and it works great. If I do move around all my icons it sometimes doesn't move 1 or 2 back when I click restore but I think that might be a Windows 8 compatibility issue like you said. Either way I use this from now on. Thanks alot! ^_^  

Just remember to save your layout each time you add/remove/move your icons.

Yes, Stardock has MANY interesting add-ons.

Honestly I only find fences worthy for me. (I use W7 so no need for the start menu) That said their games are awesome. Sins of a Solar Empire Rebelion is fantastic especially with all the mods that had been made for it.

Honestly I only find fences worthy for me. (I use W7 so no need for the start menu) That said their games are awesome. Sins of a Solar Empire Rebelion is fantastic especially with all the mods that had been made for it.

The only thing I ever used from them was their version of the icon dock (like the MAC), and that was 5 years ago. I would imagine that current OS's would have eliminated the need for many of Stardock's add-ons, but their different customizations (back in the day) were pretty nice.