First gaming computer build need insight

Ive decided to embark on my first pc build. Im mechanically inclined (autmotive) and have seen a lot of linus' and other youtube videos about the different components and pc parts. I want to upgrade my current system , Compaq SR5710F, with a new setup. I will be doing regular work, word browsing streaming maybe some photoshop and  3D modeling here and there and some mild gaming. GTA IV, Rigs of Rods, Maybe even some GTA V and Battlefield 4. I would like this system to be capable but also expandable and upgradable in the future. I already have a monitor, Cyborg RAT 7 mouse and Mad Catz Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 Elite keyboard so im focusing on the hardware and compiled a system already off of Linus' Ultimate Value Gaming Build (http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/281756-ultimate-value-gaming-build-guide/). All i'm really missing now is a CPU and a motherboard so if anyone has some input that'd be greatly appreciated. I plan to spend around $600-700 on this system. I will also be using WiFi not ethernet but would like to know if i can use the wifi adapter in my Compaq. Thanks in advance

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/Pstppg

Intel i7-4790 / Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo / Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming Windforce / MSI Z97-G45 / EVGA 600B Bronze / 8gb Kingston HyperX Fury / Kingston 120gb SSD / Western Digital Blue 1TB / NZXT H440 White 

your gonna need to replace probably everything with that compaq except the hdd..long as its sata

compaq is extremely proprietary 

now the good news is that you should be able to afford something decent with the budget

something like this

i5 4460

motherboard h97...no more then 115$

nice new case

maybe a 120-250gb ssd..plus your old hdd

8gb of pc 1600 ram (cheap as possible)

have to stick with the stock cooler for now..can change that out later

then you probably want something like a amd 270x...280...280x

or a gtx 960

If you need remote help fixing something on your computer

I can help over Teamviewer if you wish

just msg me on my profile

your gonna need to replace probably everything with that compaq except the hdd..long as its sata

compaq is extremely proprietary 

now the good news is that you should be able to afford something decent with the budget

something like this

i5 4460

motherboard h97...no more then 115$

nice new case

maybe a 120-250gb ssd..plus your old hdd

8gb of pc 1600 ram (cheap as possible)

have to stick with the stock cooler for now..can change that out later

then you probably want something like a amd 270x...280...280x

or a gtx 960

thanks for the insight How would you say my build in the pc cart picker link stacks up to my needs? 

Intel i7-4790 / Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo / Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming Windforce / MSI Z97-G45 / EVGA 600B Bronze / 8gb Kingston HyperX Fury / Kingston 120gb SSD / Western Digital Blue 1TB / NZXT H440 White 

How would you say my build in the pc cart picker link stacks up to my needs? 

260 is a little to low

you wanna try for a min of the 270x

Welcome to the forum!

Basically any time you build a computer there is room for growth in the future. (I would lean towards the $700 max just because that is the sweet-spot for budget PCs)

I would suggest something like this:

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/RVCLnQ

CPU: Intel i5-2400 Mobo: ASUS Maximus IV Gene-Z RAM: 8GB G.Skill DDR3 1333MHz GPU: Sapphire R9 280x Tri-X Case Corsair Obsidian Series 350D PSU: EVGA 500w 80+ Certified

How would you say my build in the pc cart picker link stacks up to my needs? 

260 is a little to low

you wanna try for a min of the 270x

awesome thanks for the cart list that is much better than my setup. And you think that it would work well with my needs and the games id mess with?

Welcome to the forum!

Basically any time you build a computer there is room for growth in the future. (I would lean towards the $700 max just because that is the sweet-spot for budget PCs)

I would suggest something like this:

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/RVCLnQ

I assume that would work pretty damn good for my needs?

the 280 and 4460 I have in that list would run games at 1080p at medium to high settings for the next while

i do like the corsair Spec-03 case over the 200r especially because of the blue leds, most the stuff i have, if it can be fitted with blue leds, it usually is haha i think it looks better that way

I assume that would work pretty damn good for my needs?

oh yes. That 280x is a monster - I have one myself. I would have chosen an intel quad core, as intel cores are stonger than AMD, but that 6-core AMD is cheaper and almost as good (intel quad cores get into the $200 price range)

CPU: Intel i5-2400 Mobo: ASUS Maximus IV Gene-Z RAM: 8GB G.Skill DDR3 1333MHz GPU: Sapphire R9 280x Tri-X Case Corsair Obsidian Series 350D PSU: EVGA 500w 80+ Certified

the spec 03/02/01 are the best cases in there price brackets

http://www.corsair.com/fr-fr/carbide-series-spec-03-red-led-mid-tower-gaming-case

I wish corsair would release there v2 of them already tho..they look even better

with kermits build pc parts picker says. Any choice of a different cpu cooler instead of this one? 

• Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler and Corsair SPEC-03 White ATX Mid Tower Case are not compatible.

ignore that

they are compatible

ok cool thanks for the help much appreciated

im assuming id need an additional adapter for wifi with kermits build?

I might suggest a powerline networking kit instead..if you have good modern copper wiring in your home

wireless is so BLAH

I will need wireless as the computer will be moved to my dorm room at school and while home its not in a good spot to run a cable to

im assuming id need an additional adapter for wifi with kermits build?

I would suggest using ethernet just because it is more powerful, but if you wanted wireless you might want to look into something like this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833704133

It plugs into the motherboard and takes up one GPU slot. Only a small difference between this and ethernet.

if its going to collage then yea I guess you have no choice about the wireless