Python Help!

I'm learning Python, and have been for a few weeks now, the thing with me is that I cannot move on unless I understand every single bit of code that I type. With that said can somebody please explain this line to me (more specifically the functionality/meaning of the % signs).

guess=raw_input("Guess a number from 0 to %d:" %highest)

I'm learning Python, and have been for a few weeks now, the thing with me is that I cannot move on unless I understand every single bit of code that I type. With that said can somebody please explain this line to me (more specifically the functionality/meaning of the % signs).

guess=raw_input("Guess a number from 0 to %d:" %highest)

I would not take this as definitive but I have also been learning python and my lectureer has said that there are 3 types of division each with their own opperator.

/ will return a float

// will return a int

% will return the modulus of a number

Examples 

12 / 7 will return 1.714

12 // 5 will return 1

12 % 7 will return 5 (7 goes into 12, once, with 5 left over)

if this is how % works in context to your code, I am unsure, but that is how it worths when dealing with in's/float's

side note, update to python 3.3/3.4 since you're using raw_input I know that it's 2.7 which is outdate with outdated stuff like that, in 3.3 raw_input is just input 

I would not take this as definitive but I have also been learning python and my lectureer has said that there are 3 types of division each with their own opperator.

/ will return a float

// will return a int

% will return the modulus of a number

Examples 

12 / 7 will return 1.714

12 // 5 will return 1

12 % 7 will return 5 (7 goes into 12, once, with 5 left over)

side note, update to python 3.3/3.4 since you're using raw_input I know that it's 2.7 which is outdate with outdated stuff like that, in 3.3 raw_input is just input 

Thanks for the help, the guy im learning off of is using python 2.7 so I thought it would be good to use the same version

Thanks for the help, the guy im learning off of is using python 2.7 so I thought it would be good to use the same version

Fair enough, but just make sure you're aware of the differences when you think you're ready to advance

Fair enough, but just make sure you're aware of the differences when you think you're ready to advance

Will do. Thanks

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I think in the context of the code you provided the "%" is being used to format input and output, not as a mod operator.

Yeah it is used to replace the %d with "%highest" and the the "d" signifies that this should be a digit. 

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I think in the context of the code you provided the "%" is being used to format input and output, not as a mod operator.

Yeah it is used to replace the %d with "%highest" and the the "d" signifies that this should be a digit. 

Yeah, you both are correct, I figured that out after further research.... it is so simple, I feel dumb :(