QuantaCool show us Watercooling without a pump

ahhming

Tweaktown had a chance to visit QuantaCool at SEMI-THERM 31

QuantaCool has a "new" cooling solution with no moving parts in the loop or water; cooling fluids are safe, environmentally freidnly and electrically nonconductive. These systems do not require a pump; Coolant circulation is driven by the heat being removed and uses gravity-return to provide circulation.

44151_02_quantacool-displays-cooling-sys

the above system was running an Intel 4770K @ 4.6GHz and was running for several days at heavy stress loads and maintained operation without a glitch.

44151_03_quantacool-displays-cooling-sys

For even better cooling, the radiator can be moved to a higher location that we see here at the top on the display. The idea is the cooling system can connect several servers together and mount the radiator at the top of a server rack, or even further away if needed.

Source:
http://www.tweaktown.com/news/44151/quantacool-displays-cooling-systems-semi-therm-31/index.html

i think this is similar to silverstone pumpless AIO watercooling

Cool! Considering it works partly off of gravity I would assume different loops wouldn't be able to work the same way

4790k @ 4.6 (1.25 adaptive) // 2x GTX 970 stock clocks/voltage // Dominator Platnium 4x4 16G //Maximus Formula VII // WD Black1TB + 128GB 850 PRO // RM1000 // NZXT H440 // Razer Blackwidow Ultimate 2013 (MX Blue) // Corsair M95 + Steelseries QCK // Razer Adaro DJ // AOC I2757FH

That is.. Cool. I'll stick with my pumps for now.

Intel Core i7 4770k - 2x Geforce GTX 780 - MSI Z87 MPower Max - Corsair H60 - 8GB Avexir Core Series MPower Yellow + 4gb no-brand DDR3 - Corsair Obsidian 750d - AData XPG SX900 256gb SSD - Seagate Barracuda 3TB (7200 RPM) - Hitachi 250GB 2.5in HDD (3200 RPM) - WD HDD 160GB extracted from iMac via black magic (no specified RPM) - ASUS VG248QE 144HZ 3d Vision Monitor - Logitech G602 - Ducky Shine 3 TKL - AKG 172 HD Headphones - Xperia z2 - Sony Noise canceling earphones -  Nikon D5200 With Bundled Lenses - Windows 7 Home Premium - Blue Snowball iCE - Acer Aspire X with a broken case, AMD A6, and Raijintek Aidos CPU heatsink

Look at the title of the video. Computex 2013. That was two years ago. 

This isn't news - this technology is old, and has failed to take off because no one is interested when pumps are near-silent these days and very cheap. 

This is what I think of Pre-Ordering video games: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wp98SH3vW2Y

This has been PR'ed for like almost 2 years orsomething and we haven't seen a single one launching.

Silverstone showed something really similar a year ago on Computex.

Look at the title of the video. Computex 2013. That was two years ago. 

This isn't news - this technology is old, and has failed to take off because no one is interested when pumps are near-silent these days and very cheap. 

Look the line above the video ;) "i think this is similar to silverstone pumpless AIO watercooling"

OT: Sounds cool, also happy about the non-conductive liquid, that means if you happen to have a leak; no problem

Intel Core i5 2500K @ 3.30GHz MSI Radeon R9 290 Gaming 4G | Asus P8H61-M Evo Rev B Kingston ValueRAM KVR1333D3N9K2/8G Scythe Mugen 2 Rev. B Samsung 840 Evo 512GB Seagate Barracude 7200.12 ST3500413AS, 500GB Samsung Spinpoint 1TB 5400RPM OCZ ZS Series 650W Cooler Master Elite 430 Windowed Logitech LS21 Creative Fatal1ty Logitech G500 Razer BlackWidow 2010 | 2x Dell U1214H | 1x Ilyama ProLite E2407HDS

Yes, thermosyphons are well know technology. The QuantaCool system offers high heat fluxes and ultimate reliability. It should be noted that it uses a low boiling inert fluid for the coolant. No pump and no water is a good thing. Pumps fail and water leaks, either which could cause the system to be damaged.

Based on proprietary cold plates, heat fluxes up to 200W/cm2 are no problem. The system reacts naturally to changes in heat input and operates isothermally across the cold plate.

Time will tell, but I think this type of technology will leap frog circulated water in the datacenter market, especially since it is ideal for potential waste heat recovery.

Awesome, functions similar to the way heat pipes work. I wonder how efficient this "passive" evap cooling is.

Case: Phanteks Evolve X with ITX mount  cpu: Ryzen 3900X 4.35ghz all cores Motherboard: MSI X570 Unify gpu: EVGA 1070 SC  psu: Phanteks revolt x 1200W Memory: 64GB Kingston Hyper X oc'd to 3600mhz ssd: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB ITX System CPU: 4670k  Motherboard: some cheap asus h87 Ram: 16gb corsair vengeance 1600mhz

These are similar to traditional heat pipes and that are sometimes loop heat pipes. The biggest difference between a loop heat pipe and the more common heat pipes is that with a loop heat pipe you can move the heat pretty far away from the heat source. Tens of meters, meaning you can now reject the heat outside of the room where the heat is generated. As shown in the graphic below, heat can now be moved directly from the CPU to the cooling tower, greatly reducing capital expenditures, operating costs and enhancing reliability.

VU-QCCdatacenter.png