Feedback on my build

shorr8

Hey guys, new to the forums as well as building pcs. I wanted to get some feedback from you guys on my first build which will be used for gaming and schoolwork, mainly gaming. I play a bunch of Smite and Don't Starve, as well as Fallout New Vegas and stuff like that on my laptop (no dedicated video card), so I'd love to be able to max those as well as anything else I can. Newer games I'd love to play but haven't been able to (thus the reason for building a gaming pc) are things like GTA V, Injustice, and Payday 2.

Anyways, here's the build I've come up through suggestions on other forums and tweaks I made.

http://pcpartpicker.com/user/shorr8/saved/#view=4Zbrxr

Any help, building advice, and suggested build changes are welcome!

Hey guys, new to the forums as well as building pcs. I wanted to get some feedback from you guys on my first build which will be used for gaming and schoolwork, mainly gaming. I play a bunch of Smite and Don't Starve, as well as Fallout New Vegas and stuff like that on my laptop (no dedicated video card), so I'd love to be able to max those as well as anything else I can. Newer games I'd love to play but haven't been able to (thus the reason for building a gaming pc) are things like GTA V, Injustice, and Payday 2.

Anyways, here's the build I've come up through suggestions on other forums and tweaks I made.

So far, everything looks good. Since you are mainly gaming, I would advise using the i5 4690 instead. Heard its better for gaming. Not sure thou.

Spoiler

[CPU] i5-4690K @ 4.5GHz with NZXT Kraken X61 [MOBO] Asus Z97-AR [Memory] HyperX Fury 32GB DDR3-1600 [Storage] Samsung 840 EVO 500GB & WD 1TB Black & Hitachi 1TB [GPU] Gigabyte GTX 1080 8GB Xtreme Gaming [Case] Corsair Air 540 [PSU] Cooler Master V1000 [Case Fan] Corsair SP140 LED Fan x 3 & SP120 LED Fan x 3 [Display] Main: Philips 31.5" FULL HD IPS | Side: Philips 28" 4K UHD [Keyboard] Razer Blackwidow Ultimate Stealth Edition [Mouse] Razer Ouroboros [Mouse Pad] Razer Firefly [Sound] BOSE Companion 5 Multimedia Speaker System

only advice is to go dual 290x :) a 290x is $270

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

what is your max budget of the system?

and also what res you are gaming?

Budget? Uses? Currency? Location? Operating System? Peripherals? Monitor? Use PCPartPicker wherever possible. 

Quote whom you're replying to, and set option to follow your topics. Or Else we can't see your reply.

what is your max budget of the system?

and also what res you are gaming?

First let me thank everyone for their responses so quickly!

My max budget is about where it's at. Around $1200 for the tower portion beause I will still need a windows license, monitor, and keyboard. I could go a little higher if a specific piece needs tweaking.

I'll most likely be playing at a 1920x1080 (no less) resolution, potentially higher once I figure out more about the whole pc rig realm.

*nods in approval*

quite a balanced system I'd say. looks like it'd power through 1440p like it's nothing.

*nods in approval*

quite a balanced system I'd say. looks like it'd power through 1440p like it's nothing.

Ah cool! I was thinking the video card may have been overkill for a first build, but I wanted to be sure I'd be able to handle some of these newer games I've missed out on when I was limited by integrated graphics.

First let me thank everyone for their responses so quickly!

My max budget is about where it's at. Around $1200 for the tower portion beause I will still need a windows license, monitor, and keyboard. I could go a little higher if a specific piece needs tweaking.

I'll most likely be playing at a 1920x1080 (no less) resolution, potentially higher once I figure out more about the whole pc rig realm.

the GTX980 is build for 1440P

i think you might fit a i7 4790K if you look closely

also now the 290X is better value

because you can get the price of two for the price of GTX980.

Budget? Uses? Currency? Location? Operating System? Peripherals? Monitor? Use PCPartPicker wherever possible. 

Quote whom you're replying to, and set option to follow your topics. Or Else we can't see your reply.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($317.85 @ OutletPC)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus 76.8 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler  ($25.98 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: MSI Z97S SLI Krait Edition ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($99.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ares Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  ($54.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($104.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($47.89 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: PowerColor Radeon R9 290X 4GB TurboDuo Video Card (2-Way CrossFire)  ($299.99 @ NCIX US)
Video Card: PowerColor Radeon R9 290X 4GB TurboDuo Video Card (2-Way CrossFire)  ($299.99 @ NCIX US)
Case: Cooler Master N600 ATX Mid Tower Case  ($99.99 @ NCIX US)
Power Supply: EVGA 1000W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($126.81 @ Newegg)
Total: $1478.47
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-03-16 23:34 EDT-0400

see if you can follow this build as much as possible

this build pretty much rapes 1440P and possible 4K

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor ($317.85 @ OutletPC)

CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus 76.8 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($25.98 @ OutletPC)

Motherboard: MSI Z97S SLI Krait Edition ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($99.99 @ Newegg)

Memory: G.Skill Ares Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($54.99 @ Newegg)

Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($104.99 @ Newegg)

Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($47.89 @ OutletPC)

Video Card: PowerColor Radeon R9 290X 4GB TurboDuo Video Card (2-Way CrossFire) ($299.99 @ NCIX US)

Video Card: PowerColor Radeon R9 290X 4GB TurboDuo Video Card (2-Way CrossFire) ($299.99 @ NCIX US)

Case: Cooler Master N600 ATX Mid Tower Case ($99.99 @ NCIX US)

Power Supply: EVGA 1000W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($126.81 @ Newegg)

Total: $1478.47

Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available

Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-03-16 23:34 EDT-0400

see if you can follow this build as much as possible

this build pretty much rapes 1440P and possible 4K

Ooph. That's quite a bit more. How well will it perform compared to the build I listed? Is the increased price for significant performance that'll keep it chugging further into the future?

How well will the double 290x compare to the 980x? And suppose I incorporated the changes listed in your build, but kept the 980x, would that be a good build?

Thanks for the alternative build btw! I may have to extend my budget a bit.

Ooph. That's quite a bit more. How well will it perform compared to the build I listed? Is the increased price for significant performance that'll keep it chugging further into the future?

How well will the double 290x compare to the 980x? And suppose I incorporated the changes listed in your build, but kept the 980x, would that be a good build?

Thanks for the alternative build btw! I may have to extend my budget a bit.

the main difference between your Xeon CPU and the i7 4790K is the ability to OC the CPU beyond the stock 4.0GHz and 4.4GHz Boost clocks

with the Xeon you are locked to that speed unless you are comfortable with OCing using the base clock or in older terms Front Side Bus OCing.

the 290X is evenly matched to the GTX970 in 1080P gaming but the 290X shines in 1440P Ultra and 4K gaming with the 512bit memory bus

if the 290X is a single turbo, putting dual 290X is giving your PC twin turbo charging power.