Which gpu should i get?

echoac

I was planning on getting a gtx 970 but i found a gigabyte r9 290x windforce for $100 cheaper. I've heard that the 970 is more efficient and better for 1080p but is the extra $100 worth it?

They trade blows at 1080p, and even though the gigabyte 290x isn't amazing, for $100 less, I see little reason to go 970 instead. 

RIP in pepperonis m8s

970 is slightly better, but $100 is really something, you can spend that on something else

i'm personally a fan of quietness, which the more efficient 970 will be better at, and i have a few other little details that have me prefer nVidia over AMD, but its mostly personal choice.

They trade blows at 1080p, and even though the gigabyte 290x isn't amazing, for $100 less, I see little reason to go 970 instead. 

^

“I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart

Remember kids; just because Linus has a video on it, doesn't mean that its the best choice Abide by the CoC | Looking for build help? Read this before posting |

I was planning on getting a gtx 970 but i found a gigabyte r9 290x windforce for $100 cheaper. I've heard that the 970 is more efficient and better for 1080p but is the extra $100 worth it?

I would go with the Gigabyte card if you can get one for $100 less. The Windforce 290X is a great card.

I say the 290x is worth it if you're gonna save $100.

But a GTX 970 isn't too bad either, newer technology, consumes less power and produces less heat.

"Sulit" (adj.) something that is worth it

i7 8700K 4.8Ghz delidded / Corsair H100i V2 / Asus Strix Z370-F / G.Skill Trident Z RGB 16GB 3200 / EVGA GTX 1080Ti FTW3 / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q

Samsung 850 EVO 500GB & 250GB - Crucial MX300 M.2 525GB / Fractal Design Define S / Corsair K70 MX Reds / Logitech G502 / Beyerdynamic DT770 250Ohm

SMSL SD793II AMP/DAC - Schiit Magni 3 / PCPP

Old Rig

i5 2500k 4.5Ghz | Gigabyte Z68XP-UD3P | Zotac GTX 980 AMP! Extreme | Crucial Ballistix Tactical 16GB 1866MHz

i'm personally a fan of quietness, which the more efficient 970 will be better at, and i have a few other little details that have me prefer nVidia over AMD, but its mostly personal choice.

He could just let the 290x run a bit warmer (a bit? lol, I know). It can still be quiet.

He could just let the 290x run a bit warmer (a bit? lol, I know). It can still be quiet.

my 970 runs all source games between fanless and fans on lowest speed, thats what i mean with quiet.

Well the 970 is overall the better card...
Is it worth the extra 100$?
Hell no. Save the 100$ and get the 290x. Perform basically the same at 1080p. Save the 100$ and spend it on better components (better psu etc).

my 970 runs all source games between fanless and fans on lowest speed, thats what i mean with quiet.

Source games aren't at all demanding. He could run the 290x on 20% or so fan speed and it would be quiet.

If you get the GTX 970 buy it used.  Nvidia still needs a kick in the *** for telling a lie.  In regards to the R9 290X if you don't care about PhysX and hate Nvidia right now well this is the card for you and man saving $100 in getting a new card that is pretty much equal and doesn't have 500 MB of VRAM that is ******** well that is awesome.  Also you mention just gaming at 1080p and the R9 290X will be way more than fine for that. LOL

Too many ****ing games!  Back log 4 life! :S

The 290x running 1080p games isn't going to make any noise :P