Custom AX860i fan mod!

So I purchased an adaptor. Going off your instructions, I want to swap the red and yellow cables around? Also, I'm presuming you hooked yours up with trial and error? What's the outcome if I were to plug them into an incorrect cable? 

Thanks

42727194_1962471444052529_8814511297967161344_n.jpg

3 hours ago, JakeGwilliam said:

So I purchased an adaptor. Going off your instructions, I want to swap the red and yellow cables around? Also, I'm presuming you hooked yours up with trial and error? What's the outcome if I were to plug them into an incorrect cable? 

Thanks

When I tried it, all I had to do was swap them around and then it worked.

I can't really remember well though, it was years ago.

If you take a look at this image

8.jpg

You can see that the plug has a completely different pinout than your adapter.

It is green, black, blue, yellow.

So yeah it will need to be rearranged on both ends.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

• 2 weeks later...

Noctua fan didn't seem to work in the end, fan would spin and change speed but the unit would shut off 10 seconds later, my guess being that the fan is expecting a similar fan speed result compared to it's OEM fan. BeQuiet 120mm fan also didn't work and made an awful squeaky noise from the fan. 

• 3 years later...

Sorry to revive this thread but I'm going to do a similar fan replacement soon (other fan though).

It would be cool someone could confirm the colors of the yate fan with respect to the standard PWM connections.

If I distilled this correctly this means that the pinout of the yate fan follows these color codings;

Black => Ground

Yellow => Tach

Green => +12 V

Blue => PWM

Ok so to answer my own question for people to see; I did the replacement with a Noctua NF-A12x25 PWM chromax.black.swap 120x120x25 and it works flawlessly.

Its handy because there is a PWN extension included that I could snip. Snipping the original cable and then soldering all 4 leads together with some heat shrink tubing around the soldered connections. I also left the plastic cover on the fan off like the OP. The thermal probe I hot glued to the frame of the new fan.

Just follow the color coding below to map it to the standard PWM header.

Black => Ground

Yellow => Tach

Green => +12 V

Blue => PWM

On 10/11/2018 at 4:56 PM, JakeGwilliam said:

Noctua fan didn't seem to work in the end, fan would spin and change speed but the unit would shut off 10 seconds later, my guess being that the fan is expecting a similar fan speed result compared to it's OEM fan. BeQuiet 120mm fan also didn't work and made an awful squeaky noise from the fan. 

Probably because you are pulling no load, and the fan goes to 0 rpm on purpose.