H440 and Asus Maximas Vii Formula and i5 4690k

Does the NZXT H440 over enough airflow for sli 980s? It's the Asus Maximus Vii Formula a good motherboard for the price? Will the i5 4690k bottleneck the sli 980s?

Does the NZXT H440 over enough airflow for sli 980s? It's the Asus Maximus Vii Formula a good motherboard for the price? Will the i5 4690k bottleneck the sli 980s?

1. Probably not.

2. Not for the price, no.

3. Hell no.

G3258 V 860k (Spoiler: G3258 wins)

Spoiler

i7-4790K | MSI R9 390x | Cryorig H5 | MSI Z97 Gaming 7 Motherboard | G.Skill Sniper 8gbx2 1600mhz DDR3 | Corsair 300R | WD Green 2TB 2.5" 5400RPM drive | <p>Corsair RM750 | Logitech G602 | Corsair K95 RGB | Logitech Z313

1. Yes. I have 3 980s in my H440. They are reference design though so they blow the hot air out of the case. I also carefully designed a negative pressure set up and tested out a bunch of different fan configurations to get things exactly how I wanted it.

2. Not for the price unless you plan on utilizing every single bell and whistle that come with the board.

3. No.

CPU Intel i7 5930k - Motherboard Asus X99 Deluxe - RAM Kingston DDR4 32GB - GPU nVidia GeForce GTX980 3way SLI - Case NZXT H440 – Samsung XP941 m.2, Samsung 850 Pro, WD Black, WD Red - PSU Corsair Ax1200i

1. No

2. No

3. Maybe

Main Gaming PC (new): HP Omen 30L || i9 10850K || RTX 3070 || 512GB WD Blue NVME || 2TB HDD, 4TB HDD, 8TB HDD ||  750W P2 ||  16GB HyperX Black DDR4

Main Gaming PC (old, still own) : Intel Core i7 7700K @5.0Ghz || GPU: GTX 1080 Seahawk EK X || Motherboard: Maximus VIII Impact || Case: Fractal Design Define Nano S || RAM : 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 

Cooling: EK XRES D5 100mm || Alphacool ST30 280mm w/ Vardars || Alphacool ST30 240mm w/ Vardars || Swiftech 3/8 x 1/2'' Lok-Seal Compressions || Swiftech EVGA Hydrocopper Block || Primochill Advanced LRT Orange || Distilled Water

Folding@Home Rig: 2x X5690s @4.6Ghz || GPUs: 2x Radeon HD 7990 || Motherboard: EVGA SR-2 || Case: Corsair 900D || RAM: 48GB Corsair Dominator GT 2000Mhz CL9

Ethereum Mining Rig: Pentium G4400 || Gigabyte Z170X-UD5 TH || 2x GTX 1060s (Samsung & Hynix) 1x GTX 1070 (Micron), 2x RX480s BIOS modded (Samsung), 1x R9 290X 8GB, 1x GTX 1660 Super = ~ 195 Mh/s

Peripherals: 3x U2412M (5760x1200), 1x U3011 (2560x1600) || Logitech G710 (Cherry Blues) || Logitech G600 || Brainwavz HM5 with @Gofspar Mod 

Laptop: Dell XPS 15 || "Infinity Edge" 4K IPS Screen || i7 7700HQ || GTX 1050 || 16GB 2400Mhz RAM 

1: NO, in my opinnion this case lacks a bit on airflow options.

2: Its a great motherboard, but a bit too expensive for a Z97 board.

3: Yes it will definitely bottleneck, depending on the resolution and the games you play.

3: Yes it will definitely bottleneck, depending on the resolution and the games you play.

Bullshit. I really doubt that a 4690k would bottleneck double 980s.

Spoiler

i7-4790K | MSI R9 390x | Cryorig H5 | MSI Z97 Gaming 7 Motherboard | G.Skill Sniper 8gbx2 1600mhz DDR3 | Corsair 300R | WD Green 2TB 2.5" 5400RPM drive | <p>Corsair RM750 | Logitech G602 | Corsair K95 RGB | Logitech Z313

I really enjoy these people without a H440 and 980s in SLI commenting on that scenario. I would recommend listening to one of them.

CPU Intel i7 5930k - Motherboard Asus X99 Deluxe - RAM Kingston DDR4 32GB - GPU nVidia GeForce GTX980 3way SLI - Case NZXT H440 – Samsung XP941 m.2, Samsung 850 Pro, WD Black, WD Red - PSU Corsair Ax1200i

My friend has a h440 and R9 290X's and cools them fine. 3 980's will kick out about the same heat, although spacing will be a problem more with these than the 290X's.

1. Yes, assuming they are spaced well, or reference cards.

2. No, it's a "premium" board, they never are.

3. Unlikely, although with three.. maybe? I imagine it depends on the game you are playing too.

1. I've had the H440 and it is a silent case but not optimal for airflow.

2. It is a luxury item and you do get a lot of added features but for me, I tend to try to get the best that I could afford always - hence why I currently use the Maximus VII.

3. Probably not with two and it really depends on the game and how cpu/gpu dependent it is.. 

i7 4790K - MSI XPower Z97 AC - 32GB DDR3-2400 Avexir Sabranco - ASUS Strix GTX 980 SLI - ASUS Xonar Essence - Phanteks Enthoo Primo - RoG Swift + Samsung 28" 4k UHD - Logitech Z906 5.1 - Custom Water Cooling Loop

Mobile: Samsung S8 Plus | Headphones: Audio Technica ATH-M50X / ASUS Strix Pro | Laptop: Alienware 17 R2

I've had an h440. You'll be fine with air flow. I use the Asus z97ws board with three 780's and they ran just fine. The only reason I switched cases was to go to the cooler master haf xb Evo for baby proofing.

The board is a nice board and has an outstanding build quality to it. I tried that board before I got the ws board. The heat sinks feel like they are never going to come off, especially when you compare to something like the gigabyte gaming 5 where the heat sinks will physically wiggle with ease.

And last but not least, no. A 4690k will not bottle neck. How do I know? When I added my third 780, I gained 23% increase on benchmarks and games roughly. The same as a 5960x using three 780's. I use a 4690k. The point I'm making is that you could run 4 way sli and not bottle neck the card. These processors now can handle pretty much most things you can throw at them. You won't need to worry about bottle necking for probably four years or so. Don't listen to these people. They have no clue what they are talking about. The set up you're asking about will be more then compatible together.

ASUS Z77 Sabertooth

Intel i7-3770k 3.6Ghz

Nvidia 660ti

I have a H440 as well, not it use ATM.

If you have reference blower style coolers you'll be fine with a H440, just make sure you pull the drive trays and get some GOOD static pressure fans.

The H440 is hopeless for custom GTX980 coolers that dump all the are inside the case, it just can't vent the heat quick enough.

When I was using my H440 I had a Galaxy GTX780ti HOF in it, prior I was using a Carbine 500R, in the 500R the GTX780ti wouldn't go over 70c, in the H440 it would hit 80c.

Spent a few hundred dollars on all different types of fans for it, nothing made the temps any better.

The case is now under my TV being with my low powered HTPC in it, really good case for that because it's quiet.

1: NO, in my opinnion this case lacks a bit on airflow options.

2: Its a great motherboard, but a bit too expensive for a Z97 board.

the 4690k will never bottleneck those 980's. Dont say shit that you font know

Cpu:i5-4690k Gpu:r9 280x with some other things

Be sure to get reference design cards and you are good to go

Bullshit. I really doubt that a 4690k would bottleneck double 980s.

the 4690k will never bottleneck those 980's. Dont say shit that you font know

You are both totaly wrong exaly.

at 1080p every cpu will bottleneck a dual 980 setup like shit.

Hence even a 5960X overclocked to 4.5 Ghz isn´t capable to max that setup out.

You will get nowhere near 100% scaling on 1080p in 95% of the games.

Because your cpu is the limmited factor!

NO matter which cpu you trow at it! :)

The only way to get the bottleneck as small as possible, is to game on higher resolutions like 1440p or 4K.

Because in those situations you will get GPU limited, in stead of cpu, especialuy at 4k.

But in some cpu demending games at 1440p you still wont get near 100% scaling.

So please get your facts right!

Because there will allways be  a cpu bottleneck at a certain point, no matter which CPU.

The only way to get the bottleneck as small as possible, is to game on higher resolutions like 1440p or 4K.

Because in those situations you will get GPU limited, in stead of cpu, especialuy at 4k.

Because there will allways be  a cpu bottleneck at a certain point, no matter which CPU.

Who the fuck would use 3 980's for 1080p?

Because there will allways be a cpu bottleneck at a certain point, no matter which CPU.

Still doesn't sound right. I think scaling is more up to how sli is implemented. Just how it works already causes it to not scale perfectly. You're pretty much saying that the higher the resolution, suddenly your CPU becomes more powerful.

Spoiler

What you are talking about is not bottleneck but rather issues around how software interacts with the hardware in this case it is the cpu and gpus. The software that does that is the API which is, in most games, different iterations of the same basic software and that software is directX. All the iterations of directX are not designed to work properly with multiple gpu setup which is why scaling is not at 100% and not because of the cpu. Plus, the rest of the scaling issues are due to bad game developpers not working on scaling with multi gpu setup. So stop bringing the cpu issue because in most games the cpu or the cores involved are not working at 100%.

Plus,resolutions dont matter in term of cpu performance in games because the cpu have the same amount to compute when on a higher resolution than a lower one. So stop mixing everything together

What you are talking about is not bottleneck but rather issues around how software interacts with the hardware in this case it is the cpu and gpus. The software that does that is the API which is, in most games, different iterations of the same basic software and that software is directX. All the iterations of directX are not designed to work properly with multiple gpu setup which is why scaling is not at 100% and not because of the cpu. Plus, the rest of the scaling issues are due to bad game developpers not working on scaling with multi gpu setup. So stop bringing the cpu issue because in most games the cpu or the cores involved are not working at 100%.

Plus,resolutions dont matter in term of cpu performance in games because the cpu have the same amount to compute when on a higher resolution than a lower one. So stop mixing everything together

If you dont get near 100% scaling, then it basicly means, that your cpu is not capable enough to drive it.

Which 95% of the case will be at 1080p.

If you play the same game on 1440p or 4K you will see a way better GPU utilization (scaling), this is because at higher resolutions the game become more GPU demending. The cpu will become less of an limmited factor.

At 1080p a dual 980 can just produce massively high fps numbers, But the cpu is simply not capable to keep up with it. AKA Bottleneck.

Logan did a video about  this, with a GTX980 Sli on a 5960X OC´d to 4.5GHz, and the scaling at 1080p was just awfull in most AAA titles, This is simply because the cpu is the limmited factor.

At 1440p the scaling was way better, way better GPU utilization over both gpu´s.

So this basicly means, that on higher res the GPU will starting to become the limited factor instead of the cpu.

T

If you dont get near 100% scaling, then it basicly means, that your cpu is not capable enough to drive it.

Which 95% of the case will be at 1080p.

If you play the same game on 1440p or 4K you will see a way better GPU utilization (scaling), this is because at higher resolutions the game become more GPU demending. The cpu will become less of an limmited factor.

At 1080p a dual 980 can just produce massively fps numbers, But the cppu is simply not capable to keep up with it.

The scaling might be a little better but nothing too significant. Maybe 1 or 2% and that depends on the game. Nothing worth mentionning how much """""bottleneck"""" is hapening at 1080p with 980 sli even though there is no real bottleneck.

T

The scaling might be a little better but nothing too significant. Maybe 1 or 2% and that depends on the game. Nothing worth mentionning how much """""bottleneck"""" is hapening at 1080p with 980 sli even though there is no real bottleneck.

There is exaly a cpu bottleneck.

Just lets say an example with fictive numbers.

- We play a game X  on a single GTX980 on 1080p, and we getting 90 fps. max gpu load

- We are going to add a second GTX980 sli on 1080p, and now we get 120fps.

This basicly means, that we gained 30fps, which is basicly just 33% extra performance. which offcourse isnt bad, But still a bottleneck.

- Now we are going to play the same game X on 1440p, with single GTX980 we get 40fps.

- GTX980 Sli at 1440p gives us 75fps, This is basicly allmost 100% scaling (double the fps)

Offcourse these numbers are totaly based on nothing, but it does exaly illustrate abit what happens.

At 1080p the scaling is basicly bad, no where near 100%, because of the cpu "in most caes"

At 1440p we are getting allmost double the fps, which means that the gpu´s them selves are the limmited factors instead of the cpu.

If you dont get near 100% scaling then it basicly means, that your cpu is limmiting the gpu´s.

This will basicly allways happen at 1080p in 95% of the games, no matter which cpu.

Unless the game it self has a frame cap offcourse!!

As you can see in the video, Trine 2 is a very good example of a GPU demending game, at 1080p and 1440p allmost 100% scaling, But thats just one of the very few games.

Most other games, scale way better on 1440p, Because on 1080p the cpu is limmiting them.

So yeah long story short, it does depends from game to game, But there allways will be a bottleneck at a certain point no matter which cpu.

Still doesn't sound right. I think scaling is more up to how sli is implemented. Just how it works already causes it to not scale perfectly. You're pretty much saying that the higher the resolution, suddenly your CPU becomes more powerful.

Nope thats totaly not what i am saying. :)

Nope thats totaly not what i am saying. :)

Then what are you saying? Because that's what it sounds like. I hear everyone saying "oh, that won't bottleneck you at 4k, but it will at 1080p.

Pretty much the higher the resolution, the more magically powerful your CPU is.

Spoiler

Then what are you saying? Because that's what it sounds like. I hear everyone saying "oh, that won't bottleneck you at 4k, but it will at 1080p.

Pretty much the higher the resolution, the more magically powerful your CPU is.

just look one page back, i did an explenation.

The difference between getting "400 FPS" and "280 FPS" at 1080p due to "cpu bottlenecking" is a artificial benchmark fallacy. He realistically will not experience any decline in performance when using his CPU for day to day usage at 1080p.

If he was using the machine to achieve the highest artificial benchmarks at 1080p then you're "bottlenecking" statement would hold some salt. But given his build, he not looking at maximizing artificial benchmarks for bragging rights, he is looking at real world practical implications of his build and your "bottlenecking" statement holds no value.

I do artificial benchmarking and my 5930k bottlenecks my 3 way SLI 980s. Does it have any real world significant limitations in either my video editing or gaming? No. In fact jumping from my 5820k to my 5930k was mainly just for benchmarking.  In hindsight it yields negligible benefits, especially considering the cost.