CPU cooler advice

Hello  guys,

A few months ago I build my first PC, but I didn't go for an aftermarket CPU cooler because I'm using a i7 4790 (non k, so no overclocking)

The CPU temps are about 75 degrees celsius under load (Prime 95).

Are these temps safe? Or should I buy an aftermarket cooler?

PC:

- Intel core i7-4790

- MSI GTX970 Gaming

- Gigabyte GA-Z97X-SLI mobo

- 8GB DDR3 RAM (1600mhz)

- Corsair CX600M psu

- Samsung 850 EVO ssd

- Fractal Define R5 case

Intel i7 4790 - GTX970 - GigaByte Z97X-SLI mobo - Corsair 8GB RAM - Samsung 850 EVO 250GB SSD - Fractal Define R5 - Corsair CX600M PSU

those temps are fine, as the tj max for that chips is 100c (plz dont go above 90 if you want a long living cpu)

but if you want them to be even lower get a cheap cooler like a hyper 212 and you are golden

Are you new to the forums???? read the Code of Conduct HERE WANT SOME AWESOME LTT THEMED WALLPAPERS??? check out XTanksSlayerX's wallpaper thread HERE 

"May our framerates be high, and our temperatures low" - PC MasterRace

If they woulnd't be safe, would your CPU run on those temps then?  ;) 

If any part of your PC gets too warm, it'll automatically shut itself or the component down. Of course you don't want this to happen, but your components are definitly safe. Your CPU can handle usually temps up to 90-95°C.

But I'd recommend a different cooler. Something cheap like the well recommended Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo will have a great impact on your temps.

212. Not that the current temps are unsafe, they are fine.

| Intel i7 5820K @ 4.8GHz | G.Skill Ripjaws 4X4GB | X99 PRO | HoF 980 | Asus MX299Q | Sennheiser HD600 |

Thanks for the quick response.

How is the 212 evo in terms of noise?

Intel i7 4790 - GTX970 - GigaByte Z97X-SLI mobo - Corsair 8GB RAM - Samsung 850 EVO 250GB SSD - Fractal Define R5 - Corsair CX600M PSU

Hello  guys,

A few months ago I build my first PC, but I didn't go for an aftermarket CPU cooler because I'm using a i7 4790 (non k, so no overclocking)

The CPU temps are about 75 degrees celsius under load (Prime 95).

PC:

- Intel core i7-4790

- MSI GTX970 Gaming

- Gigabyte GA-Z97X-SLI mobo

- 8GB DDR3 RAM (1600mhz)

- Corsair CX600M psu

- Samsung 850 EVO ssd

- Fractal Define R5 case

on prime? that's great temps. You won't find temps that high in the real world. But don't use prime, if you want to test, use intel extreme tuning utility. 

Ryzen 3700x -Evga RTX 2080 Super- Msi x570 Gaming Edge - G.Skill Ripjaws 3600Mhz RAM - EVGA SuperNova G3 750W -500gb 970 Evo - 250Gb Samsung 850 Evo - 250Gb Samsung 840 Evo  - 4Tb WD Blue- NZXT h500 - ROG Swift PG348Q

Thanks for the quick response.

How is the 212 evo in terms of noise?

the stock fan is quiet enough, if you want even more quietness you can an aftermarket fan like a rosewill hyperborea or a noctua F-12

Are you new to the forums???? read the Code of Conduct HERE WANT SOME AWESOME LTT THEMED WALLPAPERS??? check out XTanksSlayerX's wallpaper thread HERE 

the stock fan is quiet enough, if you want even more quietness you can an aftermarket fan like a rosewill hyperborea or a noctua F-12

Or be quiet's Silent Wings 2  :wub:

Or be quiet's Silent Wings 2  :wub:

lol that didnt pass my mind, that is a superb fan solid choice

Don't follow the sheep and get the 212 EVO when there is almost always a better cooler for a cheaper price these days, take for example the Rajintek Aidos Black:

Total: $21.68
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-03-14 19:19 EDT-0400

In Wprime, the Aidos performs as expected for its size, coming in near the back of the pack. What is surprising, however, is that the much smaller Aidos beats the Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO and NZXT Respire T40 by 1°C and 4-5°C respectively, at both stock and overclock".

" At stock, it ties the Noctua NH-U12S and even beats out the more expensive Themis, another Raijintek cooler. In the overclocked test, it falls back a bit, but still manages to edge out the Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO by 1°C, demolishing the NZXT Respire T40. These results are most likely due to Haswell using TIM under the IHS instead of solder, but that is still an impressive showing from the Aidos given its small size".

" Now on to the worst-case scenario, where the coolers are pushed to the limit. At stock in the AIDA64 FPU test, the Raijintek Aidos again manages to edge out the Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO by 1°C. In the overclocked test, it manages to tie the Hyper 212 EVO. I am still astonished by this tiny cooler's ability to keep up with the larger Cooler Master cooler, and by how badly it manages to demolish the NZXT Respire T40".

Quotes from tech powerup's review:

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Raijintek/Aidos/6.html

Thanks for all the quick responses, I will definitely get an aftermarket cooler for my CPU since they are not that expensive  :)

The Cryorig H7 hasn't been mentioned in this thread yet. I'd choose that over the 212 evo. Plenty of options out there that outperform the 212 evo with less noise for the same price range or near. That being said, the 212 evo isn't a bad choice, it's an old standby... just the market has moved forward a bit since the last revision.

http://www.hitechlegion.com/reviews/cooling/heatsinks/42980-cryorig-h7-universal-cpu-cooler-review