I posted this on tomshardware and didn't get any responses. Hopefully Linus's grand army of loyal subject can help me out here xD

Essentially my computer decides to randomly reboot without BSOD or anything, no warning, basically the same as me pressing the reset button.

Things to note:

[]Occurs when playing DotA 2, I don't play anything else enough to notice.

[]Occurs randomly a few times a week

[]Does not seem to depend on the length of the gaming session, sometimes occurs within an hour and sometimes occurs within 8 hours.

[]Windows just reports a system power interruption

[]My hardware is nowhere near overheating from what I can tell. CPU hits a max of like 60C in prime95 and GPU hits 80C max in unigen valley benchmark.

[]Specs:

CPU- FX-8320 w/ hyper 212 evo

GPU- GTX 770 SC EVGA

RAM- 8GB Ballistix ram

MOBO- Asus M5A97 R2.0 board

SSD- Some Kingston SSD 256GB

HDD- WD Black 1TB

Case- Corsair 200r (I think) case with stock fans

PSU- Rosewill Captone 750W PSU (new one)

(old one, gone) CX600m PSU

OS - Windows 8.1

[]My PC has froze twice on the desktop since this started. This never happened before.

So far:

Tried shutting down PC every night (no noticeable effect)

Replaced old PSU with new one.

Tested hardware as stated earlier.

Reset BIOS to defaults.

Update: 3/14/15- Reboot occurred on desktop with almost nothing running.

Any suggestions? I'm stuck here

Try this: Use Display Driver Uninstaller to completely remove the Nvidia drivers, then reinstall them.

eGPU Setup: Macbook Pro 13" 16GB DDR3 RAM, 512GB SSD, i5 3210M, GTX 980 eGPU

New PC: i7-4790k, Corsair H100iGTX, ASrock Fatal1ty Z97 Killer, 24GB Ram, 850 EVO 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD, GTX 1080 Fractal Design R4, EVGA Supernova G2 650W

Alright, I'll do that. I won't know for a few hours-a few days if it works or not. Any other ideas are very welcome! :)

I just rebooted into safe mode and uninstalled all my Nvidia drivers using DDU and am currently reinstalling using Geforce Experience. I'll update if anything happens. Hopefully this will fix it c:

It happened again today about 30 minutes ago while in a DotA match. I only played for about 10 minutes before it happened and I had been rendering a 3D Animation for the last 3 hours.

Also, I've noticed my desktop background is turning black after the reboot. At first I thought it was TeamViewer doing something weird, but I killed it with task manager earlier today...

reset cmos. give it a try........... then...............

go, in add/remove programs. uninstall nvidia drivers. reboot. let windows find card. go to windows updates. see what kind of goodies it has for your machine. install them, reboot, return to windows updates.

then, when that's done you can install nvidia drivers but only install the graphivs driver and the physx driver. none of the other bloatware.

go through your software and stop all auto update functions. that includes windows updates and windows auto driver updates.

the ram, is it 1 stick? try 1 stick in one slot and then try it in another slot.

hate to say it but it is most likely either your ssd or your mobo

My samsung 840 Pro started dying on me like 3 weeks in, and it would do exactly what you are describing, I would take your ssd into a local computer shop and they can test it to tell you if there is any issue.

It could also be your motherboard, power delivery to your CPU on your motherboard can cause this sort of issue,  If the SSD checks out as fine, and you have already tried swapping our PSU's then it almost certainly is the mobo

Is there any way I can check the SSD myself as opposed to taking it to a shop and paying for it? Any software you can recommend?

reset cmos. give it a try........... then...............

go, in add/remove programs. uninstall nvidia drivers. reboot. let windows find card. go to windows updates. see what kind of goodies it has for your machine. install them, reboot, return to windows updates.

then, when that's done you can install nvidia drivers but only install the graphivs driver and the physx driver. none of the other bloatware.

go through your software and stop all auto update functions. that includes windows updates and windows auto driver updates.

the ram, is it 1 stick? try 1 stick in one slot and then try it in another slot.

I've tested my ram before. I have reset BIOS to defaults before and I've done the driver reinstall before.

but did you do what i said?. i saw where you said you installed all that nvidia bloatware shit that just F's stuff up.

but did you do what i said?. i saw where you said you installed all that nvidia bloatware shit that just F's stuff up.

No, I've never had a problem with this before, but if the SSD comes up negative I'll try it out. That seems to be the better lead here. Something has to be failing and I know that this didn't start right after a driver update.

It happened again today about 30 minutes ago while in a DotA match. I only played for about 10 minutes before it happened and I had been rendering a 3D Animation for the last 3 hours.

Also, I've noticed my desktop background is turning black after the reboot. At first I thought it was TeamViewer doing something weird, but I killed it with task manager earlier today...

If the background goes black then it means that the original picture you used as background has been deleted. I had it happen to me aswell.

Could you try prime95 and see if something happens.

If the background goes black then it means that the original picture you used as background has been deleted. I had it happen to me aswell.

I'll do small FFTs and let you guys know what happens later. I'm doing some other work now. I'll just edit this post with the results.

Also, the background goes from there-to-black to black-to-there randomly throughout using the computer too. Weird windows bug I guess.

I'll do small FFTs and let you guys know what happens later. I'm doing some other work now. I'll just edit this post with the results.

Also, the background goes from there-to-black to black-to-there randomly throughout using the computer too. Weird windows bug I guess.

I ran the test for a solid 15 or 20 minutes and nothing happened. Let me know if you see anything weird going on. I have no idea what should/shouldn't be happening with the values and/or Prime95. I'll leave it running for a while still.

update I am at 45 minutes with no errors, passing the FFT length 56k. I am stopping it now.

crashes I forgot to mentioned my PC crashed today after 20 minutes of DotA. Recent crash times:

3/14 1:21pm

3/15 8:49pm

3/16 4:47pm

Screenshot

1cc582fb3ab1e26ca7572b6912253749.png

I think i may know how to diagnose this, By default windows settings if windows crashes or fails it will automatically restart without giving you any error screens. But there is a way to change this in control panel so next time it crashes it should restart to a blue screen with important info on diagnosing your problem however error screens may be diffrent in windows 8.1 then 7. In the video link below the video will talk about failing hard drives but will show how to make the change in control panel. https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&ei=R3kHVcCsEZCaoQTcloFI&url=http://www.youtube.com/watch%3Fv%3DECFNghVKoBM&ved=0CB8QtwIwAA&usg=AFQjCNG_22cycPIAIGHptZzllJVzzkNL5A&sig2=C9WF7b__Xsoshnii4bHHnA

I think i may know how to diagnose this, By default windows settings if windows crashes or fails it will automatically restart without giving you any error screens. But there is a way to change this in control panel so next time it crashes it should restart to a blue screen with important info on diagnosing your problem however error screens may be diffrent in windows 8.1 then 7. In the video link below the video will talk about failing hard drives but will show how to make the change in control panel. https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&ei=R3kHVcCsEZCaoQTcloFI&url=http://www.youtube.com/watch%3Fv%3DECFNghVKoBM&ved=0CB8QtwIwAA&usg=AFQjCNG_22cycPIAIGHptZzllJVzzkNL5A&sig2=C9WF7b__Xsoshnii4bHHnA

The auto-restart was enabled. I have it turned off now so we'll just have to wait and see if that let's me see the error.

The auto-restart was enabled. I have it turned off now so we'll just have to wait and see if that let's me see the error.

hope it helps

If you keep getting a reboot with no BSOD, than its a power problem somewhere. Had this problem and I tried everything, finally I figured out that the case power button was wired backwards from the manufacturer, fixed it and havent had a problem since. You shoud check the very obvious, make sure the power button is connected to the mobo properly, and connectors came loose during cable management? Just a shot. Took me a few weeks to find my problem.

<p>CPU: Intel i7 4790k(4.9GHz), Motherboard: ASUS sabertooth Z97 Mark 1 RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum 16GB (2 x 8GB) GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 980 4GB Superclocked ACX 2.0 (2 way SLI) PSU: EVGA 850w G2 Storage: Intel 730 Series 240GB 2.5" SSD, Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB Case: NZXT H440 Designed by Razer, EK,Alphacool,Bitspower custom loop.

“Peace cannot be kept by force. It can only be achieved by understanding.”

Albert Einstein 14 December 1930

Update Alright, no reboots since the last time, but today at 8:10 my PC froze while playing a game of DotA. No crash yet so I haven't been able to check to see if the fix worked so I'd get a blue screen.

• 2 weeks later...

My computer crashed last night during a game of DotA without a blue screen. That fix did not work :c I have run various SSD checking suites and it passes all of the tests. Here is a screencap of the SMART test from one of them. Let me know if you guys see anything weird in the SMART results since I have no idea what these values are supposed to be.

Screenshot of SMART

2a5f554cbe570197e4ee6f6e8958dd83.png

I might try to move the game to my HDD and see if that fixes it. If it does then I have no idea what is happening.