Hard Drive For Gaming

pugnaq
Go to solution Solved by Captain_WD,

Hey! I'm building a Gaming PC and Here's what I have so far:

- MSI ATX DDR3 2600 LGA 1150 Motherboards Z97 GAMING 5 

- Intel Core i5-4690K 

- Kingston HyperX FURY 8GB Kit (2x4GB)

- MSI GTX 970 Gaming 4G Graphics Cards

For now I just want to play Battlefield Hardline, GTA V and Arma 3.

Wich memory should I get?

Hey pugnaq,

As the guys mentioned, you would need a HDD or a SSD. Games rely on storage only for their loading times and FPS and graphics stay unaffected. Pretty much any drive would do the job for you unless you play some storage-intensive game with many in-game loading screens. 

I would suggest checking out a SSD solution for your OS and more demanding applications as it would decrease all loading times dramatically and would improve your overall system's performance and make it much more responsive. 

For HDD, depending on how much storage space you would need, I would suggest checking out either WD Blue or WD Black series.
WD Blue is a regular drive designed for everyday usage. It is fully capable of running games and works great. It is limited to 1TB in storage, though. Here's a link: http://products.wdc.com/support/kb.ashx?id=eilRQt
WD Black is a performance-class drive that works fast and has long 5-year warranty. It also has some additional features that enable it to handle multitasking and more demanding applications better than regular drives. It goes up to 4TB in storage. As every performance drive, it works a bit louder than others. Here's a link: http://products.wdc.com/support/kb.ashx?id=0UUBJ3

Feel free to ask if you have any questions :)

Captain_WD.

- Intel Core i5-4690K 

Memory or storage?

What's the difference? I'm new to this computer World. Got bored from consoles even the "next" gen (:

What's the difference? I'm new to this computer World. Got bored from consoles even the "next" gen (:

memory = ram

storage = hhd ssd etc

get a wd Black 1tb Hdd  7,200rpm or a Wd 500gb 

VelociRaptor  10,000rpm

for storage and a SSD for Windows 240gb 

memory = ram

storage = hhd ssd etc

get a wd Black 1tb Hdd  7,200rpm or a Wd 500gb 

VelociRaptor  10,000rpm

for storage and a SSD for Windows 240gb 

Oh I already have the ram as I stated in the thread. Can't I get just one hard drive and install the windows in there along with the games? Or i have to get two hard drives? If i can get one wich one you sugest me?

Oh I already have the ram as I stated in the thread. Can't I get just one hard drive and install the windows in there along with the games? Or i have to get two hard drives? If i can get one wich one you sugest me?

you can get one

wd Black 1tb Hdd  7,200rpm

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822236625&nm_mc=KNC-GoogleAdwords-PC&cm_mmc=KNC-GoogleAdwords-PC-_-pla-_-All+Desktop+Hard+Drives-_-N82E16822236625&gclid=CMjipICepMQCFYNFaQodUb4A1g&gclsrc=aw.ds

So can I get this one instead for gaming and OS? It fits more my current budget "WD Blue 1TB SATA 6Gb/s 7200rpm Internal Hard Drive" 

So can I get this one instead for gaming and OS? It fits more my current budget "WD Blue 1TB SATA 6Gb/s 7200rpm Internal Hard Drive" 

WD Blue is already enough but if you want faster loading time of your windows and daily productive programs like MS Office, you can add a Crucial MX100 128GB SSD. :)

My Current PC Codename: Scrapper

Spoiler

Intel i5-3570 | Some LGA 1155 MOBO Some Generic DDR3 8GB 1600Mhz | PowerColor RX 560 2GB | Recycled HP Case Crucial MX100 128GB 1TB WD Blue 7200RPM | Some Generic 500w PSU | Intel Stock Cooler

WD Blue is already enough but if you want faster loading time of your windows and daily productive programs like MS Office, you can add a Crucial MX100 128GB SSD. :)

Ahem, OCZ Arc 100.** COUGH COUGH**

But yeah, a WD Blue should be able to hold you over until you can afford an SSD @pugnaq.

What I suggest doing instead is simpy buying an SSD first, installing Windows and all of your programs (no games... yet) and getting that done. After saving up a bit more you can buy a hard drive and since Windows makes it pretty close to plug-and-play, you can simply start installing your games onto the hard drive. :)

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

You mean I could get that one for windows and stuff and the WD Blue for games?

You mean I could get that one for windows and stuff and the WD Blue for games?

Yes. You can put your OS and your daily programs that you used most then use the hard drive for storing music, movies, games and other stuff that I didn't mention. :)

My Current PC Codename: Scrapper

Spoiler

Intel i5-3570 | Some LGA 1155 MOBO Some Generic DDR3 8GB 1600Mhz | PowerColor RX 560 2GB | Recycled HP Case Crucial MX100 128GB 1TB WD Blue 7200RPM | Some Generic 500w PSU | Intel Stock Cooler

- Intel Core i5-4690K 

Hey pugnaq,

As the guys mentioned, you would need a HDD or a SSD. Games rely on storage only for their loading times and FPS and graphics stay unaffected. Pretty much any drive would do the job for you unless you play some storage-intensive game with many in-game loading screens. 

I would suggest checking out a SSD solution for your OS and more demanding applications as it would decrease all loading times dramatically and would improve your overall system's performance and make it much more responsive. 

For HDD, depending on how much storage space you would need, I would suggest checking out either WD Blue or WD Black series.
WD Blue is a regular drive designed for everyday usage. It is fully capable of running games and works great. It is limited to 1TB in storage, though. Here's a link: http://products.wdc.com/support/kb.ashx?id=eilRQt
WD Black is a performance-class drive that works fast and has long 5-year warranty. It also has some additional features that enable it to handle multitasking and more demanding applications better than regular drives. It goes up to 4TB in storage. As every performance drive, it works a bit louder than others. Here's a link: http://products.wdc.com/support/kb.ashx?id=0UUBJ3

Feel free to ask if you have any questions :)

Captain_WD.

If this helped you, like and choose it as best answer - you might help someone else with the same issue. ^_^
WDC Representative, http://www.wdc.com/