New Build Opinions

Go to solution Solved by Arwanell,

if you are looking to reduce the cost, u don't need aftermarket cooler with this cpu

I'm building this for a friend, the budget is a max of £600 but it would be good if you could help me to get the cost even lower if we can.

What do you think?

PCPartPicker part list: http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/czCnFT

Price breakdown by merchant: http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/czCnFT/by_merchant/

CPU: Intel Core i5-4460 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor (£143.94 @ Aria PC)

CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler (£25.34 @ Scan.co.uk)

Motherboard: ASRock H97 Anniversary ATX LGA1150 Motherboard (£60.34 @ Amazon UK)

Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory (£52.50 @ Amazon UK)

Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (£42.97 @ CCL Computers)

Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 960 2GB Video Card (£162.10 @ Amazon UK)

Case: Corsair Carbide Series 300R Windowed ATX Mid Tower Case (£20.00)

Power Supply: Corsair CX 500W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply (£49.79 @ Aria PC)

Optical Drive: Samsung SH-224DB/BEBE DVD/CD Writer (£10.19 @ Aria PC)

Total: £567.17

Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available

Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-03-11 08:58 GMT+0000

What's the overall goal, gaming I assume?

System/Server Administrator - Networking - Storage - Virtualization - Scripting - Applications

I think it's pretty decent for the money, good you went for H97 chipset with that CPU. Many many people make the mistake of buying a locked CPU with Z97..

System/Server Administrator - Networking - Storage - Virtualization - Scripting - Applications

Looking at it, I've built something very similar for a client not long ago if I remember correctly. I'd suggest getting some sort of SSD in there if you can.

yea, transcend ssd's are very cheap and have amazing read/write speed, i have one

10/10

-its ok.

Why do you have a 212 EVO on a non-K series CPU? You cant overclock so you dont need a better cooler than the stock one, But just becouse the looks is a valid reason to pick up the 212 evo.

You should put the money in a better GPU if you ask me, The 960 is a Great card, But it only has 2gb of Vram and it is really on the edge right now, A R9 280x would be able to hold on to higher graphics for a longer time since games Will use more and more Vram.

2gb is history in my eyes, Even my GTX 660 has 2gb Vram and im almost hitting the limit.

My Gaming PC

|| CPU: Intel i5 4690@4.3Ghz || GPU: Dual ASUS gtx 1080 Strix. || RAM: 16gb (4x4gb) Kingston HyperX Genesis 1600Mhz. || Motherboard: MSI Z97S Krait edition. || OS: Win10 Pro

Trust me, Im an Engineer

10/10

-its ok.

Why do you have a 212 EVO on a non-K series CPU? You cant overclock so you dont need a better cooler than the stock one, But just becouse the looks is a valid reason to pick up the 212 evo.

You should put the money in a better GPU if you ask me, The 960 is a Great card, But it only has 2gb of Vram and it is really on the edge right now, A R9 280x would be able to hold on to higher graphics for a longer time since games Will use more and more Vram.

2gb is history in my eyes, Even my GTX 660 has 2gb Vram and im almost hitting the limit.

I agree on the card, but the cooler IMO is worth it for the price. I know it can't be overclocked but the stock coolers just aren't up to par in my eyes. Just my opinion  :)

I agree on the card, but the cooler IMO is worth it for the price. I know it can't be overclocked but the stock coolers just aren't up to par in my eyes. Just my opinion  :)

But if he would have to choose between

-Stock cooler And a R9 280x

Or

-212 evo and a GTX 960

Which one would be the better option in your eyes?

My Gaming PC

|| CPU: Intel i5 4690@4.3Ghz || GPU: Dual ASUS gtx 1080 Strix. || RAM: 16gb (4x4gb) Kingston HyperX Genesis 1600Mhz. || Motherboard: MSI Z97S Krait edition. || OS: Win10 Pro

Trust me, Im an Engineer

But if he would have to choose between

-Stock cooler And a R9 280x

Or

-212 evo and a GTX 960

Which one would be the better option in your eyes?

Good question.

In the UK the R9 280x is around £40 more than the GTX960 so you would spend more than you would on the 212. All depends on how much that budget can stretch!

Exactly what I thought ;)

Thanks for your help

No problems, remember to mark someone's post as the answer if you got all the information you needed. Just helps so that others don't keep posting and wasting time if you already have your answer! Good luck, you making a build log?

No problems, remember to mark someone's post as the answer if you got all the information you needed. Just helps so that others don't keep posting and wasting time if you already have your answer! Good luck, you making a build log?

Could do :3