Potentially serious hard drive problem?

darth_bubbles

As I am rebooting my computer the screen goes black and says "An operating system wasn't found. Try disconnecting any drives that don't contain an operating system. Press any key to restart"

So I press a key and it restarts fine. It does this every time. Is this serious? It's a Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive

As I am rebooting my computer the screen goes black and says "An operating system wasn't found. Try disconnecting any drives that don't contain an operating system. Press any key to restart"

So I press a key and it restarts fine. It does this every time. Is this serious? It's a Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive

is windows courrpot?

put installation media and see if repair works 

if not fresh install

is windows courrpot?

put installation media and see if repair works 

if not fresh install

Do your mean corrupt? I don't know. Here's the thing though, My windows version is unlicensed. I used a friends key so I could install it but not validate it.

If I use a USB key to install it, does it let me install windows fresh but keep all my other files? Even if my copy isn't validated?

Do your mean corrupt? I don't know. Here's the thing though, My windows version is unlicensed. I used a friends key so I could install it but not validate it.

If I use a USB key to install it, does it let me install windows fresh but keep all my other files? Even if my copy isn't validated?

maybe

Hey darth_bubbles,

This could be either a problem with your drive or a problem with your OS.

To check the drive, I would recommend hooking it up to another working computer (externally or internally) and running a diagnostic tool to check the drive's health status. I would recommend using WD Data Lifeguard Diagnostic tool (http://products.wdc.com/support/kb.ashx?id=5Q0TYO) and running both the quick and the extended tests in order to check the drive's S.M.A.R.T. status as well as for any bad sectors that might have appeared. You can connect the drive directly to the motherboard with a SATA cable or do it externally with a SATA to USB cable and a power cord, docking station, 3.5" enclosure, etc.

Checking your OS would require you to either use the system repair disk (you have to create one, here's how for Windows 7: http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/2083-system-repair-disc-create.html)and restore your computer to the last restore point, or you would have to reinstall your OS and see if the problem is fixed. :)

Captain_WD.

If this helped you, like and choose it as best answer - you might help someone else with the same issue. ^_^
WDC Representative, http://www.wdc.com/ 

Hey darth_bubbles,

This could be either a problem with your drive or a problem with your OS.

To check the drive, I would recommend hooking it up to another working computer (externally or internally) and running a diagnostic tool to check the drive's health status. I would recommend using WD Data Lifeguard Diagnostic tool (http://products.wdc.com/support/kb.ashx?id=5Q0TYO) and running both the quick and the extended tests in order to check the drive's S.M.A.R.T. status as well as for any bad sectors that might have appeared. You can connect the drive directly to the motherboard with a SATA cable or do it externally with a SATA to USB cable and a power cord, docking station, 3.5" enclosure, etc.

Checking your OS would require you to either use the system repair disk (you have to create one, here's how for Windows 7: http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/2083-system-repair-disc-create.html)and restore your computer to the last restore point, or you would have to reinstall your OS and see if the problem is fixed. :)

Captain_WD.

Thanks so much!