Single-core CPU for a server

Go to solution Solved by QueenDemetria,

Hello.

I'm setting up a server for Minecraft and file sharing, and I will probably be running a Core 2 Quad Q8200 in it. But there's a small chance that I will get a case supporting only mATX motherboards, and the only one I have is a 760G AM3 board. And the only AM3 CPU I have is a Sempron 145. So, is a single-core Sempron enough for running a Minecraft server on Windows Server 2012 R2? I will have 4GB of RAM by the way.

Can you unlock the Sempron? I was able to turn mine into a Athlon 4400e(I think) and its a pretty good chip now. If you can't unlock it, you will probably encounter stutters, but if you can unlock it would make a decent chip for a small amount of players.

Hello.

I'm setting up a server for Minecraft and file sharing, and I will probably be running a Core 2 Quad Q8200 in it. But there's a small chance that I will get a case supporting only mATX motherboards, and the only one I have is a 760G AM3 board. And the only AM3 CPU I have is a Sempron 145. So, is a single-core Sempron enough for running a Minecraft server on Windows Server 2012 R2? I will have 4GB of RAM by the way.

LTT's unofficial Windows activation expert.

I highly doubt it

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

run it out of a case ?

~New~  BoomBerryPi project !  ~New~

new build log : http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/533392-build-log-the-scrap-simulator-x/?p=7078757 (5 screen flight sim for 620$ CAD)LTT Web Challenge is back ! go here  :  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/448184-ltt-web-challenge-3-v21/#entry601004

i've been running a minecraft server on a pretty old athlon 64 (dont know exact model) you'll have to be very selective when adding mods to the minecraft server (if you plan on modding) but for the most part its fine.

Hello.

Can you unlock the Sempron? I was able to turn mine into a Athlon 4400e(I think) and its a pretty good chip now. If you can't unlock it, you will probably encounter stutters, but if you can unlock it would make a decent chip for a small amount of players.

I was able to unlock it, and it can also overclock to about 3.5 GHz.

For vanilla Minecraft it should be fine then. If you add mods then Sempron(or Athlon :P) won't be enough.

Hmm, what do you mean by mods? I will be running a couple of server plugins, but nothing big (I think).

For vanilla Minecraft it should be fine then. If you add mods then Sempron(or Athlon :P) won't be enough.

actually, if you're selective about what you add to your server, its not really much of an issue

actually, if you're selective about what you add to your server, its not really much of an issue

Very well. But what about Windows Server itself? How will it run?

Hmm, what do you mean by mods? I will be running a couple of server plugins, but nothing big (I think).

Like, I run a Feed The Beast server and have a Hexxit server planned, but they are pretty heavy to run. Server management plugins are fine to run, its just when you have multiple wolds and chunk loaders running thing get pretty hard to run.

Like, I run a Feed The Beast server and have a Hexxit server planned, but they are pretty heavy to run. Server management plugins are fine to run, its just when you have multiple wolds and chunk loaders running thing get pretty hard to run.

Right now I do have multiple words. To be honest, I'm not really an admin of the server, I'm just a host. A  few friends of me are running it. I'll ask them to delete the worlds they are no longer using...

Very well. But what about Windows Server itself? How will it run?

from what i know, windows server, when given enough ram, wont hammer performance. its whats on top of (any windows version really) that makes your cpu bog down.

i dont know exact quotes on windows server ram usage tho.

nooooo....

Nude Fist 1: i5-4590-ASRock h97 Anniversary-16gb Samsung 1333mhz-MSI GTX 970-Corsair 300r-Seagate HDD(s)-EVGA SuperNOVA 750b2

Name comes from anagramed sticker for "TUF Inside" (A sticker that came with my original ASUS motherboard)