Macbook pro won't get past apple logo when booting.

Gdog96

Not sure if this is the right place to post this...

So basically I bought an old Macbook pro from 2007 with the intention of fixing it but I cannot figure out the problem. 

When I first turned it on, the screen was very low resolution (much lower than it's native res) and there were striped blue pixels in a chessboard like pattern on the screen (this is the best way I can describe it). 

So I immediately assume its a GPU problem but whatever it's usable so I carry on. 

When booting it shows the apple logo and the spinning dial underneath for some time before it freezes on the dial and reboots. When I hold the option key on boot I can choose to boot from the recovery drive, which does exactly the same thing, however once it freezes I can hear the OSX recovery say "to choose english, please press the return key" etc. If I press the return key nothing happens, the screen remains stuck on the apple logo with blue checkered lines down the screen. 

I have tried booting from a windows 10 boot CD i made (which works, i have tested it, and it's 32bit) but all that happens is I get a black screen (but the screen is on and illuminated, its just black). 

One really weird thing was that I ran the battery down whilst trying to fix it and once it got really low and I rebooted (but not completely flat), the screen returned to native res and the blue checkered lines were gone, but the other problems remained. Once it had completely ran out, I charged it and now the blue checkered lines are back but the screen has remained at native res. So if there is a problem with the GPU it seems to be intermittent. Unfortunately I don't have an external monitor to test it with. 

I'm kind of assuming that the screen problem isn't fixable without replacing the logic board, but does anyone have any ideas of how I could at least boot into an OS, or what is preventing me from doing so right now? 

Sorry if any of this doesn't make sense, I didn't have much time to type it. 

Thank you. 

Reset the SMC and NPRam

Shutdown, hold shift command option + power for a few seconds... release

Its on apples site for npram... can't remember off the top of my head for that one.

The projects never end in my line of work.

CPU: Dual Xeon E5-2650v2 || GPU: Dual Quadro K5000 || Motherboard: Asus Z9PE-D8 || RAM: 64GB Corsair Vengeance || Monitors: Dual LG 34UM95, NEC MultiSync EA244UHD || Storage: Dual Samsung 850 Pro 256GB in Raid 0, 6x WD Re 4TB in Raid 1 || Sound: Xonar Essense STX (Mainly for Troubleshooting and listening test) || PSU: Corsair Ax1500i

CPU: Core i7 5820k @ 4.7GHz || GPU: Dual Titan X || Motherboard: Asus X99 Deluxe || RAM: 32GB Crucial Ballistix Sport || Monitors: MX299Q, 29UB65, LG 34UM95 || Storage: Dual Samsung 850 EVO 1 TB in Raid 0, Samsung 850 EVO 250GB, 2TB Toshiba scratch disk, 3TB Seagate Barracuda || PSU: EVGA 1000w PS Platinum

-snip-

To me, it sounds like it couble be a HDD problem. @Prastupok 's idea is good, too.

My arsenal: i7-9700k Gaming Rig, an iPhone, and Stupidity.

Wow.

I don't know what to say about that, other than a good luck.

Could the MacBook be overheating by any stretch of the imagination?

Sig under construction.

Reset the SMC and NPRam

Shutdown, hold shift command option + power for a few seconds... release

Its on apples site for npram... can't remember off the top of my head for that one.

Unfortunately this didn't solve the problems. Although after resetting the SMC the screen returned to its low res state, but once it rebooted its back to its native res.