is this the best 500$ pc build

HmmR

well right now any equivalent of x cpu from intel amd has its worse for example the i3 is better than the 6300 in games because of better single core performance and is better at recording and streaming because of quicksync taking the load off of the cpu

its also 1.5x as expensive, and overall slower

lets not forget you can overclock the fx6300 to 4.5 ghz. You can buy what you want, but the fx 6300 can run far cry 4 on ultra, at 1080P 40-60fps with the gpu bottlenecking, and for the 70 bucks I paid for my brothers, thats all I could ever ask for it. why pay 130 for something thats marginally slower, cant overclock, and yeah. I mean, if you need quicksync sure. but ill take the more cores+overclocking+price+overall faster

but thats just me.

edit: sorry for double post, and OP, go for a I5, and throw in a better GPU later if you can. Thats what I did. I started with a I5-3570K, and just a hd 6670(slow)

and now Im up to a 7950/7970 crossfire and the only other thing I had to upgrade was power supply. If you will have money later, wait on a nice gpu and just go all cpu right now with your budget. 

I kinda like the fx6300 personally, but thats because Im not afraid to overclock, and I can get a mobo with it for free because I live by microcenter. so for a budget its a steal, but prices are diffrent online. so you might have to do more research and see your use case. 

its also 1.5x as expensive, and overall slower

lets not forget you can overclock the fx6300 to 4.5 ghz. You can buy what you want, but the fx 6300 can run far cry 4 on ultra, at 1080P 40-60fps with the gpu bottlenecking, and for the 70 bucks I paid for my brothers, thats all I could ever ask for it. why pay 130 for something thats marginally slower, cant overclock, and yeah. I mean, if you need quicksync sure. but ill take the more cores+overclocking+price+overall faster

but thats just me.

actually the i3 4150 is about 100 USD which is the same as the 6300 and you would have to spend at least half the amount of the CPU to get an overclock close to that but everyone has there opinion and I have to respect that
Spoiler

My system is the Dell Inspiron 15 5559 Microsoft Signature Edition

The Austrailian king of LTT said that I'm awesome and a funny guy. the greatest psu list known to man DDR3 ram guide

i got 477 posts in my first 30 days on LinusTechTips.com

actually the i3 4150 is about 100 USD which is the same as the 6300 and you would have to spend at least half the amount of the CPU to get an overclock close to that but everyone has there opinion and I have to respect that

whoops. I paid 70$ for it with a mobo.

still the cost of 4 gigs of ram. keep that in mind also. or the cost of a hyper 212

Kinda curious how a fx6300 performs overclocked vs I3 stock. because the fx6300 with a hyper 212 would be 120ish, nearly identical to the I3 you posted. guess we would have to look that up. the only other factor would be how cheap of a mobo, but both sides are about the same. 

so I guess if a stock I3 4150 beats a fx6300 at 4.5ghzish, your right. I can do some benchs of it overclocked. All i know is it came within 20% of my I5-3570K when it was at stock and the fx overclocked. which I Found impressive, granted at this point its older. so who knows. 

Yeah, I respect all opinions. I Just like to give a OP suggestions. Maybe he does video editing, maybe he just does gaming. and with pcs, you get flexablity. So I feel like we should show all options, so all opinions are respected. Like if you notice, some of my posts kinda counterdict each other depending which way he would want to go. 

You made the same mistake I commented on earlier. You SHOULD NOT put a haswell refresh CPU with an 80 series board.

Why not?  I have a 4771 on a Gigabyte GA-B85M-DS3H.   Isn't that the same combo you mean?  

If your looking into upgrading this sometime, go with i3-4150, I have it in my build and its not bottlenecking my, r9 280, and you can save some cash and go with the stock cooler, since no over clocking.

Fx-6300 kinda runs a dead socket I think.. Might be wrong here.

Why not?  I have a 4771 on a Gigabyte GA-B85M-DS3H.   Isn't that the same combo you mean?  

an i7-4770 is an original haswell CPU. You could use a haswell refresh on an 80 series motherboard, but it requires a bios update. Some boards will already have the bios update, but if you get one without it, you're stuck because you need a bios update to make your CPU work, and you need a working CPU in that motherboard to update the bios.

an i7-4770 is an original haswell CPU. You could use a haswell refresh on an 80 series motherboard, but it requires a bios update. Some boards will already have the bios update, but if you get one without it, you're stuck because you need a bios update to make your CPU work, and you need a working CPU in that motherboard to update the bios.

Ah.  I guess that's the same for the 4771.  (not a typo)   

Months ago I bought an MSI z87 board for a 4690k.  It didn't need an update.  Maybe that hints towards other manufacturers shipping them pre-updated.  <shrug> 

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/vb7ZP6

Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/vb7ZP6/by_merchant/

CPU: Intel Core i5-4440 3.1GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($173.61 @ OutletPC) 

Motherboard: ASRock H97M PRO4 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($79.99 @ SuperBiiz) 

Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  ($59.99 @ Newegg) 

Storage: Seagate Barracuda 750GB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($29.99) 

Video Card: MSI Radeon R9 280 3GB TWIN FROZR Video Card  ($173.98 @ Newegg) 

Case: Fractal Design Core 1000 USB 3.0 MicroATX Mid Tower Case  ($34.99 @ SuperBiiz) 

Power Supply: Corsair Builder 430W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply  ($19.99 @ Newegg) 

Total: $572.54

Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available

Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-03-06 00:32 EST-0500

My Build: 4690k @ 4.7 GHz, ASUS Strix 970 @ 1316 MHz, H105, Corsair Vengeance Pro @ 1600 MHz, H440, RM750

what about this?

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/zHvmK8

CPU: AMD FX-6300 3.5GHz 6-Core Processor  ($94.89 @ OutletPC) 
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-78LMT-USB3 Micro ATX AM3+ Motherboard  ($44.99 @ Micro Center) 
Memory: GeIL EVO Leggara Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1333 Memory  ($51.98 @ Newegg) 
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 320GB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($25.89 @ Amazon) 
Video Card: HIS Radeon R9 290 4GB IceQ X² Video Card  ($252.98 @ Newegg) 
Case: Thermaltake VL80001W2Z ATX Mid Tower Case  ($22.99 @ Micro Center) 
Power Supply: EVGA 500W 80+ Certified ATX Power Supply  ($20.99 @ NCIX US) 
Total: $514.71

CPU: Intel Core i3-4130 3.4GHz Dual-Core Processor  ($113.99 @ SuperBiiz) 

Motherboard: MSI H81M-P33 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($44.85 @ OutletPC) 

Video Card: Gigabyte Radeon R9 280X 3GB Video Card  ($239.99 @ Newegg) 

Case: BitFenix Neos Black/Blue ATX Mid Tower Case  ($33.99 @ NCIX US) 

Power Supply: EVGA 500W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply  ($42.99 @ SuperBiiz) 

Total: $573.79

Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available

Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-03-06 05:37 EST-0500