Stay Safe Online: Configure Abine's MaskMe Browser Extension

fwo.png

Step 1) Go to https://www.abine.com/maskme/ and click 'Free Download' - keep in mind that's currently in Beta

Step 2) The browser of your choice (Chrome, Firefox, Aurora, Waterfox, Pale Moon, etc) will ask if you want to add the plugin/extension. Click 'Add'

Step 3) A new tab will open and ask you if you want to 'Sign In' or 'Create Account' - Assuming you do not have an account, fill out the required fields.

Step 4) After creating an account, you have the option of trying out the plugin on a few sample sites, reading the FAQ section, or signing up for Premium.

Step 5A) Click on the sample site 'New York Times' - click the field for 'E-mail address' and a little box will appear with two options: you can mask your e-mail using a forwarding service, or use your own e-mail. In the 'Password' field, the little box will appear again, asking you if you want to create a strong password (it comes with more options, too).

Step 5B) The forwarding service will look like this: the site you're signing up for will see your address as something random, like 3637ff1d@opayq.com, but this address forwards to your actual e-mail account (the one you signed up with). You can enable and disable forwarding accordingly.

Step 5C) The little green icon on the right side of your address bar is the 'home' of the plugin, which shows you masked e-mails, phones, credit cards, passwords, and a list of accounts. Assuming you didn't sign up for Premium, the phone and credit card options will be greyed out. HOWEVER, click on either one and change your plan to 'MaskMe Online' - it's free of charge, and you get Online Backup & Access.

Step 6) You're done! Just be careful as always with accounts and passwords, and you should be fine. :)

-----------

I personally use this on sites I don't particularly trust with my information and it has worked well in that regard. This may seem easy and straight-forward for some people, but others are not as knowledgeable when it comes to online privacy, such as young teens or older adults.

Please note that this is not an attempt at advertising, but rather a short explanation of how to begin using the service and what it has to offer.

Safe browsing!

GW2: Vettexl.9726

Mmmm this is a nice idea, :) I personally have a junk email account that forwards to my real one, but this could work very nicely, thanks for showing us this XD

PROFILEYEAH

What do people even put in these things?

Lol. I have over 2,000 emails in my inbox, and none of it is spam. I don't see how people get spam.

Lol. I have over 2,000 emails in my inbox, and none of it is spam. I don't see how people get spam.
I'm coming up on 17,000 e-mails in my inbox and get anywhere from 2 to 15 a day in my Spam folder. Gmail does a good job of keeping it out of my inbox.

GW2: Vettexl.9726