Parental PC Build

Yamuda

Budget is $300.00 USD, but the lower the better.

System is just for web browsing.

Don't need monitor or peripherals.

PC is for my parents.

The one they currently use is a super old 2002 Compaq Presario Desktop PC.

The only part that I will for sure be reusing is the PSU, which isn't the OEM one, it was actually replaced with some 500W CoolerMaster PSU in like 2007/2008. Probably not the most efficient, but I think it will do.

I want to reuse the HDD, but I believe it is IDE? I'm not too familiar with PC parts that old, but I think it's better to replace it with a faster/more efficient HDD anyways. Unless someone can convince me otherwise.

So far, the parts I'm looking at:

Intel Pentium G860 - $66.22 @ Amazon

Asus P8H61-M LE/CSM R2.0 Micro ATX LGA1155 - $62.99 @ Newegg

Corsair XMS3 8GB 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM 1333 - $53.99 @ Newegg

WD Caviar Blue 500GB 7200RPM HDD - $54.50 @ Amazon

NZXT Source 210 ATX Mid Tower Case - $39.99 @ Amazon

Total - $277.69

Open to anything, really, but do keep in mind that if changing any parts, try to keep the part similar in price or cheaper, unless spending an extra $10-20 is really worth it. Really want to go with reliability too.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

Given that they aren't going to do anything graphic oriented I don't see an issue with the intel processor. Intel does have a strong memory controller so I would be in favor of the intel build. I think your build is pretty outstanding to be honest given the price hopefully though you have a PSU in mind to fit in the rest.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Pentium G860 3.0GHz Dual-Core Processor ($69.99 @ Newegg)

Motherboard: Asus P8H77-M LE Micro ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($67.98 @ Outlet PC)

Memory: Corsair XMS3 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1333 Memory ($67.99 @ Newegg)

Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($66.61 @ Outlet PC)

Case: NZXT Source 210 (White) ATX Mid Tower Case ($24.99 @ Newegg)

Power Supply: Corsair CX 430W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V Power Supply ($29.99 @ Newegg)

Total: $317.55

(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)

(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-07-03 02:02 EDT-0400)

Given that they aren't going to do anything graphic oriented I don't see an issue with the intel processor. Intel does have a strong memory controller so I would be in favor of the intel build. I think your build is pretty outstanding to be honest given the price hopefully though you have a PSU in mind to fit in the rest. 

AMD based parts are also cheaper.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

how about this?

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU:  AMD A4-4000 3.0GHz Dual-Core Processor  ($44.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
CPU Cooler:  Cooler Master GeminII S524 77.7 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler  ($31.99 @ Newegg) 
Motherboard:  Gigabyte GA-F2A55M-DS2 Micro ATX  FM2 Motherboard  ($49.98 @ Outlet PC) 
Memory:  Crucial Ballistix Sport 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1333 Memory  ($52.99 @ Newegg) 
Storage:  Western Digital Caviar Blue 500GB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($54.49 @ Outlet PC) 
Case:  NZXT Source 210 (White) ATX Mid Tower Case  ($24.99 @ Newegg) 
Total: $289.43

heatsink for silence.

you could also change it out and get a 32-64GB SSD for the OS so that it loads faster for them.

Linus Sebastian said:

The stand is indeed made of metal but I wouldn't drive my car over a bridge made of it.

https://youtu.be/X5YXWqhL9ik?t=552

how about this?

CPU:  AMD A4-4000 3.0GHz Dual-Core Processor  ($44.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Motherboard:  Gigabyte GA-F2A55M-DS2 Micro ATX  FM2 Motherboard  ($49.98 @ Outlet PC) 
Case:  NZXT Source 210 (White) ATX Mid Tower Case  ($24.99 @ Newegg) 
Total: $289.43

That works more then enough power. I still would go with intel on the memory side of things since memory will show more so for those who are general users however the amd build is very appealing. 

I would just be sure that the power supply that you are using in there system is sufficient. 

Perhaps but given the price difference between a 4 gigabyte stick and a 8 gigabyte kit it makes justified sense to spend the extra money there because it will be the most felt improvement. 

Honestly, I would get 4 gigs of ram, save the few bucks. And maybe even get a small capacity SSD (I know... web surfing doesn't NEED an SSD, but it would be more worth the price tag than a 1 TB drive they would never possibly fill up). For example, something for my parents, I would do a 80 or 128 gig SSD just so its super snappy for them, and even with all the BS bloatware they will inevitably end up with on their PC, the SSD will just kinda laugh at that and still feel super speedy for them. I am not against the 8 gigs of RAM as it is cheap, but if you can try and manage a SSD in there it would be sweet (I know... I am just a huge SSD fan boy ;) )

Rig: i7 13700k - - Asus Z790-P Wifi - - RTX 4080 - - 4x16GB 6000MHz - - Samsung 990 Pro 2TB NVMe Boot + Main Programs - - Assorted SATA SSD's for Photo Work - - Corsair RM850x - - Sound BlasterX EA-5 - - Corsair XC8 JTC Edition - - Corsair GPU Full Cover GPU Block - - XT45 X-Flow 420 + UT60 280 rads - - EK XRES RGB PWM - - Fractal Define S2 - - Acer Predator X34 -- Logitech G502 - - Logitech G710+ - - Logitech Z5500 - - LTT Deskpad

Headphones/amp/dac: Schiit Lyr 3 - - Fostex TR-X00 - - Sennheiser HD 6xx

Homelab/ Media Server: Proxmox VE host - - 512 NVMe Samsung 980 RAID Z1 for VM's/Proxmox boot - - Xeon e5 2660 V4- - Supermicro X10SRF-i - - 128 GB ECC 2133 - - 10x4 TB WD Red RAID Z2 - - Corsair 750D - - Corsair RM650i - - Dell H310 6Gbps SAS HBA - - Intel RES2SC240 SAS Expander - - TreuNAS + many other VM’s

iPhone 14 Pro - 2018 MacBook Air

Honestly, I would get 4 gigs of ram, save the few bucks. And maybe even get a small capacity SSD (I know... web surfing doesn't NEED an SSD, but it would be more worth the price tag than a 1 TB drive they would never possibly fill up). For example, something for my parents, I would do a 80 or 128 gig SSD just so its super snappy for them, and even with all the BS bloatware they will inevitably end up with on their PC, the SSD will just kinda laugh at that and still feel super speedy for them. I am not against the 8 gigs of RAM as it is cheap, but if you can try and manage a SSD in there it would be sweet (I know... I am just a huge SSD fan boy ;) )

The only issue I have with going with a super small SSD to fit within the budget would be that you would end up with a lower quality unit that wouldn't last as long. Also you run into things like running out of space if you purchased a 64 gb ssd 30 would go to the OS pretty much and then you wouldn't really have much room for anything else. I would just go with the TB hard drive if they want a SSD make them pay for it. 

Really great inputs. I'll keep waiting for more before I make a final decision (no time frame, really), but it looks like I should get the case now... Didn't know the white 210 had a deal :D

I'll keep AMD in mind, seeing good reviews on it, so we'll see.

As for the RAM, I was thinking 4GB initially, but using my own PC; I have 8GB and boy does FireFox start eating up RAM overtime, also I had a power incident lately, and somehow corrupted my FireFox, so I had to switch to Chrome, and it uses RAM a little bit more... Right now, checking my RAM usage, I'm sitting at 3.46GB... So I think 8GB is just great overhead, if I could, I would go for 6GB for overhead. I think 4GB is enough, but I really just want that overhead x)

Also, what do you mean the PSU is sufficient? As in wattage? I hope 500W is enough for a system without a GPU :O If you meant efficiency, I was also thinking that a new PSU would be better on the electricity bill for the long run...

I'll also definitely keep an SSD in mind, I'll go check them out right now, see how much they cost and such.

Ahh so many decisions to make.

Windows 7 should only be like 14 GB after a fresh format, but I agree it doesn't leave a lot of space. But unless they take pictures or something, they honestly probably wouldn't fill it up. Just my experience with my parents anyways... Plus even a not so great SSD should hold up fine to very very minimal use they would be giving it. But I agree, it is hard to buy a "not reliable SSD that is small". When I got them their SSD I convinced them a Vertex 3 128 was a good idea, and they haven't complained since. lol

Rig: i7 13700k - - Asus Z790-P Wifi - - RTX 4080 - - 4x16GB 6000MHz - - Samsung 990 Pro 2TB NVMe Boot + Main Programs - - Assorted SATA SSD's for Photo Work - - Corsair RM850x - - Sound BlasterX EA-5 - - Corsair XC8 JTC Edition - - Corsair GPU Full Cover GPU Block - - XT45 X-Flow 420 + UT60 280 rads - - EK XRES RGB PWM - - Fractal Define S2 - - Acer Predator X34 -- Logitech G502 - - Logitech G710+ - - Logitech Z5500 - - LTT Deskpad

Homelab/ Media Server: Proxmox VE host - - 512 NVMe Samsung 980 RAID Z1 for VM's/Proxmox boot - - Xeon e5 2660 V4- - Supermicro X10SRF-i - - 128 GB ECC 2133 - - 10x4 TB WD Red RAID Z2 - - Corsair 750D - - Corsair RM650i - - Dell H310 6Gbps SAS HBA - - Intel RES2SC240 SAS Expander - - TreuNAS + many other VM’s

Well let me ask you this. What power supply were you going to recycle into your parents machine. 

He said it was a 500 watt coolermaster unit. Definitely have plenty of power for the build, but yea efficiency could be a question to think about.

Not sure of the exact PSU model, but I'll try to find that out in a bit.

Are SSD's good for "constant" usage? They don't really turn the PC off... It's on 24/7 :X

And yeah, they don't really have pictures/videos. Mostly PDFs and word docs.

They are not good for constant writing unless you can get something higher then 128 gigabytes and something with a strong flash MLC for example. Depending on the cooler master unit you may be just fine with what you have. I would say that a stronger efficiency unit could reduce the amount of money per year but probably not much beyond most units at that wattage.  

Ahh ok.

And this is the PSU. Pretty much exactly like it, just don't know the exact model name.. Just Googled images CoolerMaster 500W PSU... xD

17-171-018-09.jpg

Still very hard to say without the model number. Here is a good source to kind of give you an idea of solid power supplies. If anything I can say that given the small load that you would be putting on your system I can't see why you would have any issues however the list will help you in terms of quantifying quality. 

http://www.eggxpert.com/forums/thread/323050.aspx

Sweet thanks. Maybe I should get a Kill A Watt... But if anything happens, I can more than likely get a good PSU for a good price :)

If the PC is on 24/7 it doesn't mean there is constant writing too it. Should be fine, plus you can always set it to to go sleep after like 2 hour or something so at least it gets some down time.

If the PC is on 24/7 it doesn't mean there is constant writing too it. Should be fine, plus you can always set it to to go sleep after like 2 hour or something so at least it gets some down time.

Not necessarily saying that I'm just saying with how non tech folk use there computers I can EASILY see a cheap 64 GB SSD get filled up faster then a fat kid finishing a big mac at mickey d's

lol true ^

lol true ^

Its better to lay the foundation for a good computer and down the line if you REALLY want to impress them put in a 128 GB boot drive and let them run wild with that :P