DDR4 Dual stick kit compatibility

Go to solution Solved by Techotic,

And then add another dual stick kit in the future? Will it run well or will they be compatibility issues? :S I don't want to buy 4x4 kits becuase it will limit my RAM capacity to 32gb!!

Yes there may be issues.

You can get that 16GB kit now, but it will be gimped (no quad-channel).  I would get the cheapest quad-channel 16GB kit now, and if you upgrade later, just sell it off and buy a quad 32 or 64GB kit when the prices drop.  Definitely NOT a good idea to run separate memory kits (including matching kits), especially when it comes to DDR4.

Read this:  Don’t combine memory kits! The meat and potatoes overview

Hi there guys!

I was planning on buying an i7 5820k and a MSI x99 SLI plus motherboard, but the DDR4 RAM is so expensive...

Will there be any problems if I buy this:

http://www.amazon.com/Crucial-Ballistix-PC4-19200-Unbuffered-BLS2K8G4D240FSA/dp/B00MTSWFMM/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1425428438&sr=8-4&keywords=ddr4

And then add another dual stick kit in the future? Will it run well or will they be compatibility issues? :S I don't want to buy 4x4 kits becuase it will limit my RAM capacity to 32gb!!

Thanks!

why do you need x99 and 64GB of ram???

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Hi there guys!

I was planning on buying an i7 5820k and a MSI x99 SLI plus motherboard, but the DDR4 RAM is so expensive...

Will there be any problems if I buy this:

http://www.amazon.com/Crucial-Ballistix-PC4-19200-Unbuffered-BLS2K8G4D240FSA/dp/B00MTSWFMM/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1425428438&sr=8-4&keywords=ddr4

Thanks!

Having written that, Hello :) most retailers will try ask you to buy a 8 stick quad channel kit anyway. Whether you need it or not but there may be Timing issues with different kits + buying it one month then a week later.

Please become a member of the Linus Tech Tips forum, keep writing smug remarks & let us love you. Peace out.

<| Project M13 & Silverstream. Other DIY projects |>

Just wondering, Doesn't X99 support Quad Channel memory? It still works with just two sticks? (I.e. Drops dowwn to dual channel)

I understand that you dont want to limit your ram to 32 gigs but are you running a virtual machine or something? Because that's the only conceivable way I could see you needing 32 or more gb.  Also I'm pretty sure that there was some flood or something that caused the RAM manufacturing plants to be destroyed. That's why RAM is so expensive right now.

If I was you I would go for the the 4x4 kit, I have the same thing in my gaming rig (specs on my profile) and I don't have any issues. Hardly ever see RAM usage go above 60-70%.  So for now I'd get that kit, then in a few years when you might actually need more RAM and prices have come down sell the kit on ebay and buy a bigger one.  Just my two cents worth, hope this helped!

As others have mentioned, 32GB is unnecessary in 90% of applications. The MSI X99S SLI Plus has 8 DIMMs. Even if you got the 4x4 kit now you could always add another kit if you were in the 10% :D

Price difference for 1 32GB kit vs 2 16GB kits comes out to ~$60 depending on what brand/speed you go with.

LanSyndicate Build | i5-6600k | ASRock OC Formula | G.Skill 3600MHz | Samsung 850 Evo | MSI R9-290X 8GB Alphacool Block | Enthoo Pro M | XTR Pro 750w | Custom Loop |

Daily | 5960X | X99 Sabertooth | G.Skill 3000MHz | 750 NVMe | 850 Evo | x2 WD Se 2TB | x2 Seagate 3TB | Sapphire R9-290X 8GB | Enthoo Primo | EVGA 1000G2 | Custom Loop |

Game Box | 4690K | Z97i-Plus | G.Skill 2400MHz | x2 840 Evo | GTX 970 shorty | Corsair 250D modded with H105 | EVGA 650w B2 |

As others have mentioned, 32GB is unnecessary in 90% of applications. The MSI X99S SLI Plus has 8 DIMMs. Even if you got the 4x4 kit now you could always add another kit if you were in the 10% :D

Price difference for 1 32GB kit vs 2 16GB kits comes out to ~$60 depending on what brand/speed you go with.

Maybe he does after effects or 3d animation, have you ever tried to playback a large project in after effects with sound? Probably not because 32GB is not enough at all.

Maybe he does after effects or 3d animation, have you ever tried to playback a large project in after effects with sound? Probably not because 32GB is not enough at all.

Didn't realize my 3 lines of text constituted a TL;DR

If OP has a specific use that necessitates over 16GB, then by all means get the x2 8GB kit and throw in the other half when the cash is available. One way or another he's going to be running on 16GB for a brief period of time. Only difference is dual channel then quad, or 2 quad channel kits. Either way it's going to work out to roughly the same price unless 16GB turns out to be sufficient.

LanSyndicate Build | i5-6600k | ASRock OC Formula | G.Skill 3600MHz | Samsung 850 Evo | MSI R9-290X 8GB Alphacool Block | Enthoo Pro M | XTR Pro 750w | Custom Loop |

Daily | 5960X | X99 Sabertooth | G.Skill 3000MHz | 750 NVMe | 850 Evo | x2 WD Se 2TB | x2 Seagate 3TB | Sapphire R9-290X 8GB | Enthoo Primo | EVGA 1000G2 | Custom Loop |

Game Box | 4690K | Z97i-Plus | G.Skill 2400MHz | x2 840 Evo | GTX 970 shorty | Corsair 250D modded with H105 | EVGA 650w B2 |

Yes there may be issues.

You can get that 16GB kit now, but it will be gimped (no quad-channel).  I would get the cheapest quad-channel 16GB kit now, and if you upgrade later, just sell it off and buy a quad 32 or 64GB kit when the prices drop.  Definitely NOT a good idea to run separate memory kits (including matching kits), especially when it comes to DDR4.

Read this:  Don’t combine memory kits! The meat and potatoes overview

Thanks to everyone! The 4x4gb kit it is, I will upgrade later with a 4x8gb kit. :)