Transporting a PC

PowerPigeon

So coming up in a few weeks my school is hosting a LAN event. There's gonna be a CS:GO competition and such, with prizes like this, it's gonna be great!

My question is how should I transport my PC? I've got the tower and the monitor to bring, as well as a keyboard and mouse. I'll probably be able to get a ride to the school, but it's only about a 10 minute walk away so that's an option if I need it.

Will I need to take my graphics card out? What is the best thing to put my computer in if I need to walk with it? Any help is appreciated.

Use the case box, thats what I always use, for the monitor just try and keep the screen safe, maybe cover it with a cloth or something so it does scratch.

My Build

- i5 4670k @ 4.4GHz - MSI z87m Mobo - 16Gb 1866MHz RAM - MSI R9 290 - Samsung 840 EVO 250Gb - 2 x 1Tb WD Blue - CX600m - H55 AIO cooler - Fractal Node 804 - Lg 25um64-s Ultrawide screen monitor -  http://pcpartpicker.com/user/colec18/saved/9FKXsY

Keyboard/mouse/cables - backpack

Computer - Put it on its side (GPU facing the sky / roof) in the car or take out the GPU and carry it, box in backpack?

Monitor - Place screen-side up (or down, if you have a very soft cloth to lay it on)

Peripherals - backpack

PC- put in the car in a seat normally, buckle it up

Monitor - put it in the back seat securely with the display facing skyward, with a cloth on top

CPU: R5 5800X3D Motherboard - MSI X570 Gaming Plus RAM - 32GB Corsair DDR4 GPU - XFX 7900 XTX 4GB Case - NZXT H5 Flow (White) Storage - 2X 4TB Samsung 990 Pro PSU - Corsair RM100E Cooling - Corsair H100i Elite Capellix Keyboard Corsair K70 (Brown Switches)  Mouse - Corsair Nightsword RGB

Any suggestions on ways to carry a PC and monitor down the street to the school if I need to do that?

I always like to wrap mine in a blanket for some cushioning and protection from scratches and what not.

i wouldn't risk carrying it.. i tried doing it once from my shed to my house, monitor ended up face down in the gravel and my case landed on the floor as i tried to carry the monitor 

Gaming PC: • AMD Ryzen 7 3900x • 16gb Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 3200mhz • Founders Edition 2080ti • 2x Crucial 1tb nvme ssd • NZXT H1• Logitech G915TKL • Logitech G Pro • Asus ROG XG32VQ • SteelSeries Arctis Pro Wireless

Laptop: MacBook Pro M1 512gb

Peripherals - backpack

PC- put in the car in a seat normally, buckle it up

Monitor - put it in the back seat securely with the display facing skyward, with a cloth on top

I do this as well but the only difference is I place my case on the floor and then move the seat back to secure it. I've never had any problems moving it and I drive carefully with my baby in the back.

Love cats and Linus. Check out linuscattips-fan-club. http://pcpartpicker.com/p/Z9QDVn and Asus ROG Swift. I love anime as well. Check out Heaven Society heaven-society. My own personal giveaway thread http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/387856-evga-geforce-gtx-970-giveaway-presented-by-grimneo/.

I do this as well but the only difference is I place my case on the floor and then move the seat back to secure it. I've never had any problems moving it and I drive carefully with my baby in the back.

I buckle just because that's what my friends do and have never had a problem when doing it

CPU: R5 5800X3D Motherboard - MSI X570 Gaming Plus RAM - 32GB Corsair DDR4 GPU - XFX 7900 XTX 4GB Case - NZXT H5 Flow (White) Storage - 2X 4TB Samsung 990 Pro PSU - Corsair RM100E Cooling - Corsair H100i Elite Capellix Keyboard Corsair K70 (Brown Switches)  Mouse - Corsair Nightsword RGB

I buckle just because that's what my friends do and have never had a problem when doing it

My seats are leather and the case has sharp edges so that is the only reason why I do it that way. The monitor however is not sharp. I drove 18 hours with my case and monitor in the car for a trip.

Love cats and Linus. Check out linuscattips-fan-club. http://pcpartpicker.com/p/Z9QDVn and Asus ROG Swift. I love anime as well. Check out Heaven Society heaven-society. My own personal giveaway thread http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/387856-evga-geforce-gtx-970-giveaway-presented-by-grimneo/.

My seats are leather and the case has sharp edges so that is the only reason why I do it that way. The monitor however is not sharp. I drove 18 hours with my case and monitor in the car for a trip.

Ahh. that makes more sense

Last time I went to LAN I used big suitcase with wheels. Padded everything with clothes and used bubblewrap for monitor. If your case has screw mounting for GPU, you don't need to take it off. Only if you happen to drop the thing something might happen. But then again, it might still if you drop backbag where GPU is. Make sure your travel/home insurance covers it.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

I take my PC around frequently and I always lay it down in the trunk of my car so the GPU us facing up.

That way any bumps along the way push the GPU into the motherboard/PCIE slot.

If you are really cautious just take the gpu out, anything else should be fine inside the case itself. Just make sure it is secured.

My Main PC:

CPUi5 3570k CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper T4 Motherboard: Asus p8z77-v pro  RAM: Crucial Balistic 2x4gb  GPU: Two PNY GTX 680's in SLI Case: Some rando Antec one  PSU: Thermaltake 1000w  Display: HP Elite Display 321i 23''  Storage: Samsung 840 Evo 128gb, Seagate Barracuda 1tb

stuff your pc full of bubble wrap so nothing can move. really its just graphic cards snapping off, or cpu cooling towers warping that is a worry. if you have any hard drives, you could take them out and wrap them in bubble-wrap as well if you are super paranoid. yeah, bubble wrap is awesome.

audi2.jpg

R9 3900XT | Tomahawk B550 | Ventus OC RTX 3090 | Photon 1050W | 32GB DDR4 | TUF GT501 Case | Vizio 4K 50'' HDR