U14S = NH-D15 ?

Shaqo_Wyn

So I'm looking for an after market cooler and being somewhat of a Noctua fan it's going to be either the:

Noctua U14S: €65

or

Noctua NH-D15: €90

I was comparing the two when I decided to check out some tests and noticed that they perform very close to each other.

This while the NH-D15 is a dual heat sink behemoth and the U14S has a much smaller single heat sink config.

Even on the 160W LGA2011 OC test:

NH-D15: 41.8 degrees Celcius (7V) / 38.8 degrees Celcius (12V)

U14S: 42.2 degrees Celcius (7V) / 38.9 degrees Celcius (12V)

http://uk.hardware.info/reviews/5629/5/39-cpu-coolers-review-what-is-the-best-choice-graphs-cooling-socketn2011

Am I missing something here? Any explanation to this anomaly or is there no point at all in getting the NH-D15 over the U14S?

Thanks!

Shaqo

Bert & Ernie before squirting spermie. 

looks more like the mixed up the results of the NH-D14 and the NH-U14S

Doubt it, suspecting something might be wrong I checked other reviews. They all painted approx. the same picture.

That test result seems consistent with Guru3D's test.

Both show the U14S is better at idle, but D15 wins at load.

Yeah and even then the load temps on the NH-D15 are only 2 degrees lower than that with the U14S.

Looks like I'm going with the U14S unless there's a legit reason to get the NH-D15.

i like my dh-15

3 tips to have a good time on the LTT forums | 1. When you reply to someone please quote them | 2. Please follow your threads | 3. Follow the C.o.C 

If you follow these 3 tips you should have a blast.

i'm rather proud of this for some reason. http://imgur.com/6ttS5XZ

i like my dh-15

I like it too. :)

Just not sure if it's worth it, if the higher costs don't justify the performance. 

What CPU you running?

I like it too. :)

Just not sure if it's worth it, if the higher costs don't justify the performance. 

What CPU you running?

lol ur gunna laugh          4690k had some walking around $$ decided i would use it on something good. ik i could of stuck with my hyper 212 evo but why the hell not

3 tips to have a good time on the LTT forums | 1. When you reply to someone please quote them | 2. Please follow your threads | 3. Follow the C.o.C 

If you follow these 3 tips you should have a blast.

i'm rather proud of this for some reason. http://imgur.com/6ttS5XZ

lol ur gunna laugh          4690k had some walking around $$ decided i would use it on something good. ik i could of stuck with my hyper 212 evo but why the hell not

Haha that 4690K better be hella overclocked! :D 

I got the same situation almost (4790K) but my more sensible side wants me to save the money. :P

I think I'll stick with the NH-D15, YOLO! 

What the hell? Does the U14s really perform that well? Jesus

Specs: 4790k | Asus Z-97 Pro Wifi | MX100 512GB SSD | NZXT H440 Plastidipped Black | Dark Rock 3 CPU Cooler | MSI 290x Lightning | EVGA 850 G2 | 3x Noctua Industrial NF-F12's

Bought a powermac G5, expect a mod log sometime in 2015

Corsair is overrated, and Anime is ruined by the people who watch it

It has quite a few heat pipes. on it.

Yes, that seems to be the case. Either there's more to it or Noctua expects people to pay more just to say they have a dual heat sink cooler in their case.

According to this calculator even a 4790K @4.8Ghz 1.31V only uses 126W. So a U14S would be more than enough...

@Shaqo_Wyn I use the U14S on my workstation with two fans and it's a beast. You then have to buy the extra fan, which raises the price a fair bit.

The D15 can also take 3 fans, so if you can manage to fit that in, there isn't going to be much that can top your performance.

@Shaqo_Wyn I use the U14S on my workstation with two fans and it's a beast. You then have to buy the extra fan, which raises the price a fair bit.

The D15 can also take 3 fans, so if you can manage to fit that in, there isn't going to be much that can top your performance.

Yeah, in the tests linked they try dual fan configs on the U14S too. I think the second fan gave the U14S 2-3 degrees better temps bringing it in line with the NH-D15 stock. Like you said it raises the price, that's ~22 bucks for a few degrees. Might as well get the NH-D15 then right?

What CPU and temps do you have if I may?

I still think, that they messed up.

other tests show the D15 ahead 3-4ºC of the U14S

Meh, these are reputable reviews. I've checked those of Hardware Info, Guru3D, tweakers.net, user reviewers on tweakers.net and FrostyTech.

All show the same thing.

I'm just hoping to get to the bottom of this so we can all gain some knowledge.  :)

Yeah, in the tests linked they try dual fan configs on the U14S too. I think the second fan gave the U14S 2-3 degrees better temps bringing it in line with the NH-D15 stock. Like you said it raises the price, that's ~22 bucks for a few degrees. Might as well get the NH-D15 then right?

What CPU and temps do you have if I may?

I have a 4930k. Unfortunately the motherboard is currently RMA'd, so the CPU is in a box not getting particularly hot. I saw around 32 degrees at idle (this was in December, so mid summer here) and 65ish at sustained full load.

Meh, these are reputable reviews. I've checked those of Hardware Info, Guru3D, tweakers.net, user reviewers on tweakers.net and FrostyTech.

All show the same thing.

I'm just hoping to get to the bottom of this so we can all gain some knowledge.  :)

guru3d:

OqJCM4O.png

technic3d:

ce4HoSx.png

relaxedtech:

Oib2pUt.png

Mini-Desktop: NCASE M1 Build Log
Mini-Server: M350 Build Log

Also it is not really surprising, that there is no huge performance gap. the NH-D15 is nowhere near of being a 'double' NH-U14S

Well I think we can all agree that if the U14S is substantially cheaper and/or size is a concern, it would be a good buy.

If you consider that an additional NF-A15 is about 20€ the price difference really isn't there ...

I'm running U14S with dual fan config. With limited fan speed (using "Silent" profile, max 1100rpm per fan) max temp under stress test is 68C (1.15V on 4770K). Its nice single tower cooler and can challenge dual towers and AIOs. But there will be difference when you go for higher OCs. With low-med OC and normal usage I think U14S will be better option than D15.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

Also it is not really surprising, that there is no huge performance gap. the NH-D15 is nowhere near of being a 'double' NH-U14S

I'm sure I can find at least 4 more reviews that show the same 3-4 degrees difference between the U14S and the NH-D15.

The NH-D15 is almost twice the weight of the NH-U14S (both w/ fans). 

Looks like I'll just have to see how much money I feel like spending when I get one.

Thanks for your help. :)

I'm sure I can find at least 4 more reviews that show the same 3-4 degrees difference between the U14S and the NH-D15.

The NH-D15 is almost twice the weight of the NH-U14S (both w/ fans). 

The D15 weighs 27% more without fans, which is a much better indication for the actual heat sink.