microphone for pc?

LunaticGTX460

hey guys and girls...
I wanna buy a microphone for singing on my pc...
and wanted to know if my onboard sound card has enough power for a simple dynamic microphone?
and I really don't want a usb mic they suck
my question is do you guys know of a mic that is good but doesn't require much juice to drive

thanks

|| CPU Intel i7 3770K || MOBO ASRock H77M || RAM 8GB 1600mhz || HDD 1TB 7200 Sata II || SSD OCZ Agility 3 120GB || GPU EVGA GTX 670 2GB FTW (boost core 1240mhz) || CPUCooler CM 212 EVO || PSU Seasonic M12II EVO 750W || CASE NZXT Phantom V2 (Pink-lol) || H-Phones Sennheiser HD600 || Gamepad XBox 360 Wireless Controller || Mouse Logitech G102 || K-Board CM Storm Trigger (MX Black) || Monitor Dell P2414H || AV Common Sense ||

and I really don't want a usb mic they suck

You've obviously never heard a blue yeti or some of the audio-technica USB mics

Its not about how the mic is connected to your PC, its about the quality of the microphone itself.

Just because one mic uses XLR and one uses USB doesnt make the XLR mic magically better

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

I'd go for the Audio Technica AT2020USB, or Blue Yeti (depending on budget, the AT2020USB is the better of the 2, and also most expensive).

Both are powered via USB, and all are great mics.

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

You've obviously never heard a blue yeti or some of the audio-technica USB mics

Its not about how the mic is connected to your PC, its about the quality of the microphone itself.

Just because one mic uses XLR and one uses USB doesnt make the XLR mic magically better

within the same price range the xlr is way better.

of course there are usb mics that kick ass but they are expensive.

I need an affordable xlr mic (or usb if you know one)

that is in the same price range of for example a SHURE SV-200

|| CPU Intel i7 3770K || MOBO ASRock H77M || RAM 8GB 1600mhz || HDD 1TB 7200 Sata II || SSD OCZ Agility 3 120GB || GPU EVGA GTX 670 2GB FTW (boost core 1240mhz) || CPUCooler CM 212 EVO || PSU Seasonic M12II EVO 750W || CASE NZXT Phantom V2 (Pink-lol) || H-Phones Sennheiser HD600 || Gamepad XBox 360 Wireless Controller || Mouse Logitech G102 || K-Board CM Storm Trigger (MX Black) || Monitor Dell P2414H || AV Common Sense ||

within the same price range the xlr is way better.

of course there are usb mics that kick ass but they are expensive.

I need an affordable xlr mic (or usb if you know one)

that is in the same price range of for example a SHURE SV-200

would a blue snowball not be enough? you can get them for less than $50

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

I can't thank you enough for that Blue Snowball!!!

I owe you my life! lol

thank you so much!

I owe you my life! lol

thank you so much!

You're welcome ;)

Spoiler

Blue snowball is crap for singing. They just EQ the hell out of the microphone so it sounds better in tests because they boost the hell out of the bass for "fuller" sounding voices. Frankly it's a pet peeve of mine how much all those Blue brand microphones are praised when anyone serious about microphones would dismiss them. 

If you want a cheap but very good beater I would get the SM48

http://www.amazon.com/Shure-SM48-LC-Dynamic-Microphone-Cardioid/product-reviews/B0002D0HY4/

"Common sense is not so common." -Voltaire

Blue snowball is crap for singing. They just EQ the hell out of the microphone so it sounds better in tests because they boost the hell out of the bass for "fuller" sounding voices. Frankly it's a pet peeve of mine how much all those Blue brand microphones are praised when anyone serious about microphones would dismiss them. 

http://www.amazon.com/Shure-SM48-LC-Dynamic-Microphone-Cardioid/product-reviews/B0002D0HY4/

Does this sound bad to you?

IMO its pretty good for the price...

the leveling is pretty bad though, but that can be fixed in post recording

Spoiler

will my onboard have enough juice for that?

cause even though I agree with you... I need to drive the thing... and volume is also important lol

I owe you my life! lol

thank you so much!

^see above. 

If you want no fusses at around the same price just get the http://www.amazon.com/CAD-U37-Condenser-Recording-Microphone/dp/B001AIQGUO

The shure above obviously require an XML to USB cable or something of the like. All I can tell you is to believe me when I tell you the CAD U37 is better than the blue snowball. 

Does this sound bad to you?

IMO its pretty good for the price...

the leveling is pretty bad though, but that can be fixed in post recording

I never said it sounds bad but it's certainly not as good as many other microphones.

Let me ask you this? Do you ever see any small studios record with microphones with silly little snowball shaped designs? This company got popular because they made microphones nice and cutesy and sold them at apple stores. They try to market towards consumers while other brands just keep it on the down low because anyone serious won't just buy the first thing they see and do some research first instead. Compared to serious names such as Rode, Shure, Audio Technica and Sennheiser those guys have yet to be taken seriously. The aforementioned brands actually do a lot more research into acoustic design etc.. and make thousand dollar microphones that real pros use. That's not the case with blue. 

I never said it sounds bad but it's certainly not as good as many other microphones.

Let me ask you this? Do you ever see any small studios record with microphones with silly little snowball shaped designs? This company got popular because they made microphones nice and cutesy and sold them at apple stores. They try to market towards consumers while other brands just keep it on the down low because anyone serious won't just buy the first thing they see and do some research first instead. Compared to serious names such as Rode, Shure, Audio Technica and Sennheiser those guys have yet to be taken seriously. The aforementioned brands actually do a lot more research into acoustic design etc.. and make thousand dollar microphones that real pros use. That's not the case with blue. 

I havent seen any AT or rode mics for $50...

Spoiler

^see above. 

If you want no fusses at around the same price just get the http://www.amazon.com/CAD-U37-Condenser-Recording-Microphone/dp/B001AIQGUO

The shure above obviously require an XML to USB cable or something of the like. All I can tell you is to believe me when I tell you the CAD U37 is better than the blue snowball. 

wow I like this mic better the CAD U37

decided to go with CAD U37 

thank you all!!!

will my onboard have enough juice for that?

cause even though I agree with you... I need to drive the thing... and volume is also important lol

Then why did you say you didn't want a USB microphone haha?

Again if you are looking for a simple general solution at around $50 that CAD U37 is probably your best bet. If you're willing to stretch your budget a little bit more you could get the ATR2500 which should be significantly better. HOWEVER if you will only be singing, then the best solution is DEFINITELY the ATR2100 which is a dynamic microphone vs the Blue Snowball, CAD U37 and ATR2500 which are all condenser mics. That means you have to basically shove next to your mouth and sing like a singer. If that's 99% of what you're going to do with it, it will be better because there will be a lot less background noise than with a condenser microphone and you can feel like a rockstar holding a microphone.

Obviously for podcasts and gaming you don't have one hand to hold the microphone so in that case go with the CAD U37. The ATR2100 however is fantastic and now that I read you will be singing I would probably recommend that and some cheapo microphone when just skyping with mates and whatnot. It's USB so you won't have to worry about gain etc.. like XLR mics with adapters. 

http://www.amazon.com/Audio-Technica-ATR2100-USB-Cardioid-Dynamic-Microphone/dp/B004QJOZS4/

I havent seen any AT or rode mics for $50...

AT2050 used to sell for $50 in 2013 but it seems they jacked the prices up a little recently. ATR2100 is a dynamic microphone and the same price as the snowball.

decided to go with CAD U37 

thank you all!!!

Lol sorry man but read the post I just made. I hadn't realized the ATR 2100 was even a microphone that existed since very little people talk about it, but if it's really singing you want to do it's probably your best bet. Again, disadvantage is you have to be much closer (basically hold it to your mouth)

Lol sorry man but read the post I just made. I hadn't realized the ATR 2100 was even a microphone that existed since very little people talk about it, but if it's really singing you want to do it's probably your best bet. Again, disadvantage is you have to be much closer (basically hold it to your mouth)

god damn it LMAO!

I am total noob when it comes to mics....

I trust you, you seem reliable enough!

then I'll be going for the

Audio-Technica ATR2100-USB

unless you can find a better deal! lololol

you're free to recommend better products 

I will listen to you!

god damn it LMAO!

I am total noob when it comes to mics....

I trust you, you seem reliable enough!

then I'll be going for the

Audio-Technica ATR2100-USB

unless you can find a better deal! lololol

you're free to recommend better products 

I will listen to you!

Nah honestly that's my final recommendation. It'll probably feel more natural if you ever do any concerts and whatnot to use a dynamic microphone too. Price is very reasonable and I hope you enjoy it!

Nah honestly that's my final recommendation. It'll probably feel more natural if you ever do any concerts and whatnot to use a dynamic microphone too. Price is very reasonable and I hope you enjoy it!

thank you so much!

I had the audio technica ath-m50's and they were amazing and I had inear audio technica (forgot the model) and they were also amazing I am sure I won't be disappointed by this awesome japanese company. lol