Dynex 520w handling an r9 280x?

Kermit
Go to solution Solved by SteveGrabowski,

Not a chance. That power supply is shit, and only offers a max 360W on the +12V rails combined. Note how it says it can't exceed 30A on the two +12V rails. 30A * 12V = 360W.

JmneQcC.png

Replace that PSU ASAP. It's not 520W, it's 360W max, not even continuous power. I wouldn't trust it to power a GTX 960, much less an R9 280x. Dynex is a completely worthless brand.

At the moment I have a Dynex 520w psu running an XFX hd 7770 gpu (a low budget build). Im looking for a big upgrade on my gpu and was eyeing the 280x, so my question is can my low-end power supply handle the 192w TDP of the 280x

CPU: Intel i5-2400 Mobo: ASUS Maximus IV Gene-Z RAM: 8GB G.Skill DDR3 1333MHz GPU: Sapphire R9 280x Tri-X Case Corsair Obsidian Series 350D PSU: EVGA 500w 80+ Certified

No.

#1.Dynex is unknown and sounds unreliable

#2.Get at least 600w PSU

#3.520w is just not enough

9590|EK-Copper|Sabertooth 990FXR2.0|16GB RIPJAWS Z|Dual MSI Gaming 290|Corsiar AX1200i|Corsair 760T|3TB Seagate+Dual 120GB Samsung 850EVO in Raid 0

LTT'S Official Radeon Master Race Club Founder-Predicts TitanX2 (Prediction Date: 3-30-15)

XFX Needs To Make A 3 Fan Cooler 

600 is enough for a 290x so I would think a 520 is enough for a 280x

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

I wouldn't trust it. Not from dynex.

Woo!

I've run a 290 from a 550W unit before, but it was a SeaSonic. From Dynex, you should imagine it's a 400-450W unit, not a 520. Plenty of low-end power supplies just throw their hands up when they're actually asked to deliver their rated wattage.

You should be fine power-wise if you really want to use it, but I'd be careful about using off-brand power supplies.

Not a chance. That power supply is shit, and only offers a max 360W on the +12V rails combined. Note how it says it can't exceed 30A on the two +12V rails. 30A * 12V = 360W.

JmneQcC.png

Replace that PSU ASAP. It's not 520W, it's 360W max, not even continuous power. I wouldn't trust it to power a GTX 960, much less an R9 280x. Dynex is a completely worthless brand.

You should be fine power-wise if you really want to use it, but I'd be careful about using off-brand power supplies.

Alright ill see how it holds up and if not then ill go for something like an EVGA 600b

Thanks

CPU: Intel i5-2400 Mobo: ASUS Maximus IV Gene-Z RAM: 8GB G.Skill DDR3 1333MHz GPU: Sapphire R9 280x Tri-X Case Corsair Obsidian Series 350D PSU: EVGA 500w 80+ Certified

Alright ill see how it holds up and if not then ill go for something like an EVGA 600b

Thanks

see how it holds up... when it dies it will most likely take the rest of the computer with it 

l Intel Core i7 4790K @ 4.5Ghz l Asus VII Ranger ROG l MSI GTX 970 @ 1555MHz l 

PC PART PICKER

Thanks

You're playing Russian Roulette with your computer. That's a terrible PSU that can't come anywhere close to the 520W rated power.

Also, are you upgrading the CPU? Because it will be bottlenecked hugely by a Pentium.

No i have the i5 3570k but my profile i just didn't upgrade my profile.

Also i think ill just get a 600 watt power supply before setting up the card and follow your guys suggestions.

No i have the i5 3570k but my profile i just didn't upgrade my profile.

Also i think ill just get a 600 watt power supply before setting up the card and follow your guys suggestions.

You're talking about that $30 after rebate EVGA 600W PSU? That should be plenty to run a 3570k + R9 280x.